The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2006, 03:37 PM   #1
ronfritz

Newbie question regarding component selection

I have not yet reloaded my first round but bought and have read four different reloading manuals - Modern Reloading, Speer, Nosler and Sierra - and read them over the course of the last month. Each seemed to have something the others did not. I also picked up a Hodgens free guide at the local gun store.

After studying them all, it appears that
1) The Lee manual specifies powder by brand, primer by type, and bullet by weight and type.
2) The others specify all of the above but go beyond to specify primer, case, and bullet, each by brand.

I'll be starting out by loading for a .357 SA revolver and am thinking it would be prudent to begin with some .38 Special rounds with 110 grain bullets. I intend to use one of the loads in the Sierra manual first and will copy their recipe exactly...probably one that calls for Unique, CCI primers and Starline brass. Ultimately, I'd like to have 2 or 3 loads worked up...one for target practice, one for deer hunting and one to carry in the gun in case I'm out walking in the mountains of Georgia and bump into a bear, pig or something else of that nature.

I'm interested in getting some experienced advice on how to utilize load info that is not as specific as that found in Speer, Nosler and Sierra manuals. From what I've read, it seems clear that bullets, cases and primers do vary by manufacturer. However, is the variation enough to introduce unacceptable risk when working up a load from the starting charge described in the Lee's Modern Reloading guide? I am hoping, there is some sage advice regarding component interchangeability.

Not sure if the hardware I'll be using matters much except for Primer selection but the basic hardware will be the LEE DELUXE TURRET PRESS KIT and four die set. I'm also considering the Lee Safety Prime for Classic Cast & Turret because it appears to eliminate primer constraint by allowing the use of any brand of primer.

Thanks in advance.
Old December 25, 2006, 04:50 PM   #2
rwilson452

component selection

It has been my observation if you start at the starting load and work up the slight variations in component by MFG will not put you in any danger. that said. you will find by hardness. CCI primers are the hardest. followed by Winchester then Federal is the most sensitive. I also find the federal are the hottest. I use Winchester for all my reloading. I know nothing about remington primers. I have also noted that CCI primers tend to be just a little larger thus a tighter fit.

If you see a load you like but choose a bullet from a different MFG but the same weight just to remember to start at start and don't just jump to the max load. I would also say the Jacketed bullets are not the same as lead bullets. IF you want to exchange one jacketed bullet for another of the same weight just remember to start light and work up. it has been my observation that max loads tend not to be as accurate as a load that is a bit milder. You also don't gain much in power either. After you have been loading for a good number of years you will haev a better understanding of what your gun will let you do. Just remember Safety first. with your intended set up you can take the time to visually check the powder charge in each round you build before you seat the bullet. if the amount of powder in the case doesn't look right dump it out and load it again. A squib or double charge can ruin your whole day.
Old December 25, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
Bullet94

ronfritz Welcome to Reloading and The Firing Line. Good question.

Quote:
rwilson452 It has been my observation if you start at the starting load and work up the slight variations in component by MFG will not put you in any danger.
Good answer.

One thing I’ve noticed when using listed loads is that the data listed also usually shows what type of firearm or test barrel used and the barrel length. When following listed loads your results may not be the same in your gun as what is listed.
Old December 25, 2006, 06:24 PM   #4
wilson133

I wouldn't worry about the head stamp on the brass, it doesn't matter much in pistols. At least the way most people use reloads, which is for practice. If you use anything but a scale to weigh each load, the powder variation will be greater than any variation caused by the case. This is less true of rifles, but you specified pistol. Relax, load for the midrange, and you'll be fine. You have to take some precautions, as in no double loads, but reloading for practice or even hunting isn't as complicated as some authorities make it sound. One thing old reloaders lhave learned is that there is no point to see how hot you can load, it's hard on you, it's hard on the gun, and at the high end, the pressure curve can jump pretty fast with only a little bit of an overload.
Old December 25, 2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Shoney

WELCOME ronfritz!!

I will add only sightly to what the "wilson's" have stated (very good info), brand of brass is relatively unimportant in most pistols, while the uniform case lenghts are more important in semi-autos.

Bullets make a difference when substituting lead, hardcast lead, and jacketed. In general, the lead should be loaded at starting velocities, hardcast can be loaded near or at jacketed velocities, depending on hardness of the alloy.

If and when you get into rifle reloding, there can be great differences when substituting brands of brass. Example: Winchester brass is the thinest brass, and thus have greater powder capacity. Military brass (in the same cartridge) is much thicker, will hold lower volumes of powder, and therefore will have a higher pressure per the same amount of powder that was put in the higher volume case.

In rifles, there are so many factors that influence velocity and pressure from weapon to weapon using the same cartridge, it is a must to start at minimum loads and work up for accuracy; all the while, you must be checking pressure signs.
Here is a brief listing of factors that your books may or may not discuss:
Primer: strength
Barrel: length; tightness of bore; height of the lands; distance of bullet to lands; temperature of barrel;
Bullet: bearing surface of bullet, alloy of bullet; shape of bullet
Brass: new/used; manufacturer, to long trim length;
Powder: new, aged, old, ambient air temp, batch powder was from
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 25, 2006, 09:53 PM   #6
Mike P. Wagner

ronfritz, I just started loading 45 LC - one thing to consider is Trail Boss. A double charge won't fit in the case.

Mike
Old December 25, 2006, 09:54 PM   #7
ronfritz

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to write on Christmas day. I really appreciate your thoughts.
Old December 26, 2006, 04:22 AM   #8
Tim R

Unique is a great powder for 38 SPL. Pretty easy to light and doesn't require a heavy crimp. Keep in mind a 38 SPL load isn't going to hit in the same place as a 357 load so don't get worked up over that.

Be sure to keep records of your loads....I don't just mean the labels on the box either. I keep a running book and write in it everytime I do something which has to do with reloading and how the ammo shot. Turns out it will help trouble shoot and keep you from making a mistake twice. I have pet loads and even keep track of how each batch of those are shooting.