The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2006, 01:37 AM   #1
O6nop

just started reloading - cleaning media ??

How many times or how long is cleaning media good for? You can use it more than once, right? The first time I used it the media got considerably darker. How long is it OK to use?
Old December 25, 2006, 07:41 AM   #2
XD-Guy

Media really doesn't stop working, however the older it gets the longer it will take to clean your brass
Old December 25, 2006, 09:52 AM   #3
WSM MAGNUM

When it starts taking more than 3 hours to get brass clean, I replace the media.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old December 25, 2006, 01:44 PM   #4
snuffy

What type are you using? Are you using a polishing additive?

You CAN keep the media cleaner by adding squares of paper towel, or used dryer softener sheets with every batch of brass. Doing that and adding a polish additive can extend the life of the media. The media doesn't actually "wear out", it just gets dirty. Also be carefull when emptying the tumbler, don't breath the dust. I contains lead from the primers!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 26, 2006, 11:45 PM   #5
257roberts

Media

I have been using white rice for years. I mean UNcooked white rice from the grocery store. The brand does not matter. You should not use minute rice, because it costs more. I have recently been buying in bulk at sams club. It polishes better than walnut or corncob.
Old December 27, 2006, 10:45 PM   #6
MISFIRE

I have been using walnut media for 20 years now. I use a polishing compound and toss the load it when it starts looking dirty and takes too long to clean. I've got to try the dryer sheets and when this load of walnut media goes south I'm going to try the white rice 257 recommended. It is really important to have good ventilation when when you dump the vibrator and tumble the cases. That dust is really really nasty.
Old December 28, 2006, 01:42 AM   #7
skeeter1

Quote:
or used dryer softener sheets with every batch of brass.
I've heard that before but can't say I've ever tried them. They're supposed to be good for polishing up silverware as well.

If you have access to a small ultrasonic cleaner, they work quite well, too, provided you de-cap your brass first. It takes a while to dry them out afterwards, but a low-temp (~200 degree) oven can help speed that up.
Old December 28, 2006, 04:37 AM   #8
mjrodney

I used the dryer sheet trick for a few months and I found that it gummed up the corn cob media fairly quickly.

The sheets would come from the bowl dark and dirty, for sure, but after a thousand rounds or so, the corn would have an almost sticky texture to it and the cleaning times rose dramatically.

Apparently, the material on the sheet that would cause the dirt to stick to the sheet, would also come loose from the sheet and stick to the corn.

The inside of the bowl would also be covered with this sticky substance.

I've since gone back to plain ol' corn cob without any polishing compound.

Two, three hours and it's done.
Old December 28, 2006, 08:04 AM   #9
XD-Guy

Just what exactly do you do with the rice? just dump it in there? no additives? I would really like to try this out
Old December 28, 2006, 08:16 AM   #10
Crimp

Quote:
"I used the dryer sheet trick for a few months and I found that it gummed up the corn cob media fairly quickly." --mjrodney
I use two or three 1" strips torn from a paper towel. They come out dirty, so I know they're doing the job, and it doesn't seem to affect the media.
Old December 28, 2006, 09:10 AM   #11
jsflagstad

I have been using the same cob media in my tumbler since I got it 2 years ago. I keep adding polish ti it every so often. I usually tumble over night and have never had an issue getting them clean and I have done about 8000-10000 rounds. I cut some paper towel squares and ran them through on the last batch. Yep they were dirty, real dirty. I guess I didn't realise that dust from the tumbler was that nasty. I guess I will keep the kids away when I am sifting the brass. Mine never really seems to be real dusty, as it seems to mave a moistened consistency that seems to keep the dust down from what I can see.

I am going to try the rice, what the heck it's probably time to change media anyhow.

JSF
Old December 28, 2006, 12:24 PM   #12
snuffy

Quote:
I used the dryer sheet trick for a few months and I found that it gummed up the corn cob media fairly quickly.
Was that with "used" sheets? Ones that had done a load of clothes in the dryer? The sheets are charged with a type of wax, that's what makes clothes soft. It also makes those soft towels less absorbant! A new softener sheet would tend to gum things up, I'm not surprised to hear that IF that's what you used. Now, I've never tried the used dryer sheets myself, just passing on what I "heard". I use the paper towel trick myself. But I do have a couple used dryer sheets, I may try it to see.

As for the rice, for pete's sake tumbler media isn't that expensive, especially since it lasts for many thousands of cases, get some and use it!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 28, 2006, 12:30 PM   #13
mjrodney

Yup, they were new dryer sheets, right out of the box.

Interesting on the wax. Makes sense.

I will also give the paper towel strips a try.

Thanks..
Old December 28, 2006, 02:08 PM   #14
Cloudpeak

On my first load of media (I think Lyman-had about 6,000 rounds on it) I used a bit of "Nu Finish" and dryer sheets. The inside of the bowl eventually started getting very black and I think I had too much polish on the media because the cases would "smudge" or streak when sized.

I just charged the Lyman vibrating tumbler with "Lizzard Litter" that I bought for around $6.00 per bag at Pet Smart. (RCBS media is $15.00 for 5 lbs.) I'm not using a polish and am using paper towels. So far, everything looks great. Of course, the cases aren't as shiney without the Nu Finish but that's not a big thing with me. I want them clean so they don't scratch the die and so I can check for case flaws.

Cloudpeak
Old December 28, 2006, 05:35 PM   #15
O6nop

Thanks everybody...

I really appreciate everyon'e inputs! there are some great ideas. BTW I have been using corn cob type media and nothing else.
As the title of my first post says 'just started reloading' so I'll have more questions about it in other posts.
Old December 31, 2006, 06:54 PM   #16
WSM MAGNUM

I just tried some of the corn cob media sold by the pet stores. As we talked about in past threads that the pet store corn cob media is courser media. Well, I put this media in my tumbler and threw in several calibers of brass. A little while later as I checked to see how they were doing, I pulled some out of the tumbler. The straight wall cases came out fairly clean and the media dumps right out. But on the bottle neck cases, I was disapointed.On the 22-250 cases I had to use a piece of wire to get the media out. On 30-06 cases I can get it all out by tapping on them.
I don`t like this media. Did not clean them that good. As they say you get what you pay for. I`m sticking with the media I buy from Midway.
I`m glad I only bought a small bag and put in just a few cases of the 22-250s. I would have been cursing the whole time if I put in all of them.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?