The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 30, 2016, 10:35 AM   #1
GunMaverick

The Welrod

I was doing some random internet research this morning and I stumbled across the old SOE suppressed pistol, the Welrod. I was looking into it and little is to be known or found out about it. Although it is unlikely, does anyone sell copies/reproductions of the Welrod? Also if you all could tell me anything about the Welrod, all info would be welcome.

GunMaverick
Old June 30, 2016, 11:16 AM   #2
peggysue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welrod
Old June 30, 2016, 07:42 PM   #3
MGRacer

Here is some information on the Welrod. http://www.timelapse.dk/welrod.php

I do NOT believe the sound numbers included in the Wikipedia article (or in the article that I referenced) for the Welrod. Without a doubt the sound of the shot was a much higher db level than indicated. It is a good guess that the sound measurement equipment used did not have a fast enough response to capture the short suppressor sound impulse thus giving a very low number.

Here is a modern test of the Welrod with suppression numbers that are much more believable. Suppressed report 122.8 db for a suppression level of 34 db. https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=2335

Last edited by MGRacer; June 30, 2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old June 30, 2016, 08:24 PM   #4
GunMaverick

I think high decibels are to be expected with such an old design.
Old June 30, 2016, 09:39 PM   #5
jrothWA

Was well used during WWII, read a articel on a

assassination on a "quisling" while he sat in a bar / pub.

Also, FIocchi had a booklet two years ago, that had a page on the Welrod,
the handgrip was modified from a Colt MODEL M magazine, turn-bolt locking action and was still in use.
Old June 30, 2016, 11:07 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

A rather unsecret secret weapon, there is little doubt that they were made, and in two calibers, but I suspect most of the rest is pretty much baloney. Some sources say 2800 were made, another source says 14.000 (9mm alone, .32ACP quantity not given). They do seem to have a fictional life, though, and not only in fiction. One story has it that our British Allies offered the U.S. some Welrods for use in Iraq, but the dumb Americans, not recognizing a superior war-winning weapon, turned them down.

Some sources confuse the Welrod with another "secret weapon", the U.S. Navy's "fist gun", which was another real enough weapon that was rejected when the hangover from the Officers Club wore off.

Jim