The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 6, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
thedudeabides

I just wanted a 300 dollar 870

A few months ago I bought an 870 Tactical Express for 300 bucks... This was back when Dicks was still selling guns, and on one of their holiday blowouts.

Of course no one can be happy with things as they are and the modular nature of shotguns I HAD to replace the stock and foreend with Magpul MOE.

Why stop there? I replaced the flimsy plastic trigger plate with the beefy police model.

Not to be deterred, I then realized that the bead sight is hard to see and a ghost night sight police barrel would be cool and give better groups at longer range--and while I'm at it replace the extractor.

...so for "300" dollars I wound up building a police shotgun I should have bought in the first place. My wife says there's a lesson there somewhere.
Old June 7, 2013, 02:06 AM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

That "flimsy plastic trigger plate" is actually more rugged than the metal police part.
Old June 7, 2013, 05:04 AM   #3
thedudeabides

Could've fooled me, the plate had started to crack around the safety.
Old June 7, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
guy sajer

Remington would cover that under warranty . You'd have a spare or you could sell it and recoup some of your expense .

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old June 7, 2013, 09:24 AM   #5
AllenJ

Do me a favor and ask your wife what the lesson is....I'm just not seeing it
Old June 7, 2013, 04:12 PM   #6
thedudeabides

Quote:
Remington would cover that under warranty . You'd have a spare or you could sell it and recoup some of your expense.
They did, but I figured if it broke during a tactical shotgun class (about 300 rounds in a day), I wasn't going to trust the new one.

The bruise I had on my shoulder that evening, and for the next two weeks was impressive, too.
Old June 7, 2013, 10:03 PM   #7
new_camper

One word........Limbsaver
Old June 8, 2013, 01:55 AM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

The fact that one cracked doesn't make the metal one better. Who is to say that whatever caused yours to crack wouldn't crack a metal one.
Old June 8, 2013, 02:48 AM   #9
John Fritz

Hey D100S, I was actually getting ready to pull the trigger (so to speak) on a metal replacement trigger assembly for my 870 too. Because I assumed also that the metal one would be more rugged than the poly.

I'm not doubting what you're saying, I'm just curious that if this is the case then why does Remington install the metal one in their police models?

Do you draw your conclusion from personal experience or otherwise?
Old June 8, 2013, 06:45 AM   #10
thedudeabides

Quote:
I'm just curious that if this is the case then why does Remington install the metal one in their police models?
I was told by my cop friends to swap it out for a metal "police" assembly if I planned to heavily use my 870 because they had seen a few of the plastic ones break during training, too. Something they haven't seen in their older 870s that have always had the metal plate.

It's all anecdotal, but a plastic part in a chunk of metal doesn't sit well with me.
Old June 8, 2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Backwoodsboy

I don't see the lesson there either. Although you could have bought one similar to what you built it simply would not have meant as much to you, and surely wouldn't have given you pride in your own work.
Old June 8, 2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Method

I'm with Backwoodsboy on this one. First of all, have you done a true price comparison? A local store had both the regular 870 and the tactical version on sale. The tactical version was about $400 more. I did the math and realized I could customize the basic version with the same gear (i.e. the Magpul MOE) for about $100 less. Besides, firearms are a fascination to me, so learning the basic assembly, function, and gunsmithing needed to make those changes would be well worth the time.

As it is now, this is YOUR tactical model...not some factory standard. When a friend asks "whoa, where did you get that!?" You can say, "I modified it myself."

Woot.
Old June 8, 2013, 10:05 AM   #13
m.p.driver

Years ago i bought an ex wells fargo 870 for $79.Over time it received an extended mag,remington synthetic stock,swivels,sights,and i parkerized the whole thing.From gunshow scrounging i probably have under $100 in parts,and i couldn't touch another for anything even close.And yes i replace the plastic parts on my 870's first chance i get.
Old June 8, 2013, 01:05 PM   #14
dayman

Some pictures would make this thread a lot more fun.
Old June 8, 2013, 02:30 PM   #15
John Fritz

Here's one:

I put the wood on there myself, the next mod is (was...?) going to be a metal FCG.
Old June 11, 2013, 08:40 PM   #16
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I replaced the flimsy plastic trigger plate with the beefy police model.
The police models have switched to the plastic trigger guards for some time... because they are stronger.

I got the 870 Tactical. I upgraded the extractor, carrier dog spring, magazine spring, and safety button(S&J).

I like my 870 quite a bit... but I still prefer my 590A1's