The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 26, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
btmj

lowest recoil rifle for elk

A conversation with some friends turned into a vigorous discussion, with strong opinions on every side. I would like to get the opinions of the experts on this forum.

What is the lowest-recoiling rifle/cartridge combination that would be suitable for elk hunting?

Assumptions:

The hunter is an experienced deer hunter, and she has taken many white-tails over the years, but has never been elk hunting.

No shots beyond 200 yards.

She can afford a new rifle but would prefer to keep the cost of rifle/scope below $2000.

She currently uses a 6mm Remington 700 on deer because of the light recoil. She has an old shoulder injury which makes her recoil sensitive. She can tolerate the higher recoil of a 9 lb 30-06 for 3 to 5 rounds, but that’s about it. She also had to give up shooting skeet and sporting clays. She can shoot a bolt 223 all day.
Old January 26, 2012, 04:46 PM   #2
huntinaz

270 or 7mm-08 would do the trick if that is light enough. Or a 30-06 shooting 150gr?

I don't believe I've shot a 270. I did shoot a 7-08 once though and I though recoil was very mild.
Old January 26, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend who has hunted elk in the area of Paonia, Colorado for over 20 years running. He reports that there are a good number of women and others with an aversion to recoil that hunt elk every year with 243s.

There is no reason that a 243 is not acceptable with proper bullet choice and shots limited to broadside and not too far. 200 yards should be fine with the right bullet.

If it were me, I'd prefer to step up to a 25-06 or 7mm-08 and consider the 7mm-08 to be ideal.

But the 243 will certainly work for a responsible, knowledgeable hunter.
Old January 26, 2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Mausermolt

257 Roberts. Just because that's the only one I've had much experience within your criteria.
Old January 26, 2012, 05:16 PM   #5
nate45

Her 6mm Remington with the right bullet would work. Like peetzakilla said though, I'd keep the range down. Nosler Partition for example would be a good bullet.
Old January 26, 2012, 05:43 PM   #6
huntinaz

Yeah I'll second the tough bullet selection if she's gonna use the 6mm. It will work, I prefer bigger as most do but I wouldn't necessarily buy a new rifle for one elk hunt. If she can handle and borrow something bigger though that would be my advice. Cup and core bullets in 6mm come apart very easily in my experience. They are fine for deer but it takes a good shot to put down an elk. I'd go bonded or Barnes TSX type of bullet as heavy as you can get.
Old January 26, 2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Major Dave (retired)

Peetza

The 6mm she already owns is capable of about 100 fps greater MV than the 243, when hand loaded, and uses the same diameter bullet. Therefore, technically speaking, for her to buy a 243 would be a (very small) step backward.

To go up the power scale (rather than down slightly) it would go something like this: 257 Roberts (uses same capacity case as 6mm Rem/7X57 Mauser)
260 Rem (uses same capacity case as 243/308)
25-06 (uses same capacity case as 30-06)
7mm-08 (uses same capacity case as 243/308)
7X57 Mauser (same capacity case as 6mm Rem/257 Roberts)

Anything bigger would be too much recoil, for sure.

The 7X57, in factory 139/140 grain loads will have less recoil than the 7-08 factory loads of the same bullet weight, because the MV is about 200 fps slower that the MV of the 7-08. Still good to 200 yards, though. The 7X57 can be hand loaded to 100 fps faster than the 7-08, but then the recoil is increased. Makes it a 300 yard load, also.
Old January 26, 2012, 05:55 PM   #8
nate45

I'll add another thought.

While I don't think many of us would question the ability of a 6mm Rem/.243 Win to kill an elk. There is the question of how fast would it kill it and how far it might go before it died.

I'm familiar with incidents of people shooting elk in crowded hunting areas and tracking it down, only to find other hunters claiming its their elk. Perhaps looking into neck shots with the 6mm might be worthwhile?

I've only ever killed two elk and they were with shoulder shots using a .338 Winchester Magnum. So I can't be much help on smaller caliber advice. I/m sure one of our more experienced elk hunters will come along and offer more/better advice.
Old January 26, 2012, 05:56 PM   #9
huntinaz

Quote:
The 6mm she already owns is capable of about 100 fps greater MV than the 243, and uses the same diameter bullet. Therefore, technically speaking, for her to buy a 243 would be a (very small) step backward.
I think his point was the 6mm Rem/243 is a simialr and adequate platform... not that she should go buy a 243

Quote:
I can't be much help on smaller caliber advice. I/m sure one of our more experienced elk hunters will come along and offer more/better advice.
I've hunted elk with a 243. I didn't like it. I was using cup and core bullets, and I was in my teens. It worked when I made a good shot, the elk got away when I made a bad one. However, it got away because of my poor shot. A heavier caliber may have put it down, but not for sure. With a good bullet placed from what is described as a knowledgeable hunter... the 243 will work. I would advise something bigger if possible, but wouldn't say "you have to go buy another rifle." If borrowing is possible or if she wants another rifle, there are better options for elk than the 243. Any step up is a lot better. And the 6mm is indeed a little faster than the standard 243.

Last edited by huntinaz; January 26, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old January 26, 2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Peetza
The 6mm she already owns is capable of about 100 fps greater MV than the 243, and uses the same diameter bullet. Therefore, technically speaking, for her to buy a 243 would be a (very small) step backward.
True, this is... but I was responding to "what is the lightest recoiling cartridge/rifle combination that would be suitable for elk hunting." I would use the 6mm and not buy a 243 but a 243 is pretty much the lightest recoil cartridge suitable for elk.

I guess I should have specified that I wouldn't buy another rifle. The implication wasn't as clear in writing as it was in my head.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:07 PM   #11
VeryOldDog

The first thing is: do not underestimate the power of a woman. Men always make that mistake. A lady friend of the family uses a 338 Federal to hunt elk here locally and has taken game in over 300 yards. And, she is as girly as they come with two teenage children. She should try first a 308; 30-06, and a 300 WSM. Don't be surprised if she happens to like one of these.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:27 PM   #12
doofus47

I guess that I have 2 questions that might help find an answer:

1. what is the terrain like where she will be elk hunting? If she's in deep timber, a 150 yard shot might be the outside limit, so her 6mm would be fine. If she's out in the high plains of central Colorado, she might be looking at a minimum 250 or 300 yard shot. Whatever you choose, ask how will your cartridge perform at 300 yards. If it's heavy woods, choose a rifle that you can point and shoot quickly, b/c you won't have a lot of time to think about things.

2. Will she have a cow tag or a bull tag? If it's a bull tag, 6mm Rem and 243 Win are not ineffective, but have less wiggle room for error, especially if you find yourself "lobbing one in." If it's a cow tag, you could use either of those with more confidence.

I think you might already have enough tool for the job, but to make myself feel like I'm helpful, I'll add that I like these suggestions already given above:
7x57
7mm-08
270 win

Good luck!
Old January 26, 2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Jim Watson

A friend reports that a .280 Rem will not bounce off an elk.
A 7mm 08 would get close to that with the wide range of fine 7mm bullets.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:35 PM   #14
lefteye

7mm-08
7x57

A $2,000 limt allows for a nice rifle AND scope.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Wyoredman

In Wyoming, the lowest recoiling rifle cartridge (smallest) that is legal for elk hunting is the .243 caliber! If she is going to hunt in Wyoming, her 6mm will be fine.

http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/Depart...tions_Ch32.pdf

Last edited by Wyoredman; January 26, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:41 PM   #16
lawnboy

Jim Watson wrote:
Quote:
A friend reports that a .280 Rem will not bounce off an elk
I hope you don't mind that I'm going to steal that line to use at some point in the future. Pure Gold!

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old January 26, 2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Mausermolt

agreed with Veryolddog, alot of woman are great shots and can handle heavy recoil. my mom shoots a Winchester 70 featherweight in 300wsm. few years ago i watched her shoot a running Muley in the back of the head off hand at 175 yds with it....then again she does rope elk also but the OP stated the shooter had a shoulder injury recently and cant handle much recoil...so the magnums are out of the question
Old January 26, 2012, 07:15 PM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Going back to the first post: If she can tolerate a few shots from an '06, remember that it's common that only one or two shots get fired on a critter. And if her previous "06-ing" was with summer-weight clothing, remember that's it's usually chilly-to-cold temperatures in most elk hunting and a jacket's padding helps a good bit with recoil.
Old January 26, 2012, 07:54 PM   #19
jmr40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

I wouldn't do it, but here is an elk dropped in it's tracks at 688 yards from 1 shot from a 243.
Old January 26, 2012, 08:47 PM   #20
BIG P

MY wife took a medium cow elk last year with a 25-06,120gr.gameking
it took 3 steps & fell.But I must say My wife is a monster of a women @
5' 2 ,135lbs. She has no problem with the 25-06 up to a box or so.
Good luck with your choice.
Old January 26, 2012, 09:11 PM   #21
btmj

Thanks for all the opinions.

The discussion got heated when one buddy told her and her husband that she could use his 30-30 with 170 grainers, as long as she kept it within 100 yards.... which caused another guy to howl in protest, claiming that you needed at least a 200 grain bullet for elk, and 30-06 was the absolute minimum. I pointed out that 270 Win has had a good reputation as an elk gun, which caused further spitting and hair pulling. We ended up in two camps... My team, which thought that 7mm-08 and 270 win might be about the minimum, and the opposing team which maintained that 30-06 and 7mm-mag were the minimum, and 338 federal was preferable to either, and 338 win mag and 35 whelan were by far the preferred cartridge.

If they go elk hunting (and it is a big IF), it will be in the deep forests of Ontario north of Lake Superior. She is mid 50's excellent condition. She is a hunter and a shooter, but not really a "gun" person. And as Art pointed out, once it is sighted in, a successful hunt often involves just one shot.

Thanks again for confirming my thoughts.......... Jim
Old January 26, 2012, 09:28 PM   #22
btmj

.... and as far as getting a new rifle, she is actually looking forward to getting a new one. She has her eye on Sako and Weatherby Mark V. The Mark V would blow her $2k budget, and probably is not available in the light calibers she needs)
Old January 26, 2012, 11:27 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Another thing you might consider is installing a Limbsaver or equivalent butt pad. All the reports are that there is a lot of reduction in felt recoil. I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil, but I don't equate masochism with intelligence, either. Softer is better...
Old January 26, 2012, 11:41 PM   #24
Deja vu

a 44 mag lever gun is pretty low recoil and can kill at better than 200 yards if the shooter can do there part.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 26, 2012, 11:48 PM   #25
Wyosmith

I would say a Browning BAR (new modle) in 270 Winchester with their "BOSS" break would be about the lowest recoiling elk rifle you can get
Closed Thread