The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2005, 01:39 PM   #1
270Win

Questions from the Gun Show...

Yesterday I went to a gun show, and noticed a few things I had questions about. First, who makes Franchi shotguns? The average price of one was hovering around $3000 or so! One fellow customer said they're made by Benelli (the Black Eagle II was getting a lot of attention also), but are "mil spec" or something like that.

I also saw the most expensive shotgun I've ever encountered. It was a Beretta OU Gold Pidgeon. I think the price was "reduced" to $4500 or so. It was beautiful, but man... I'd be afraid to use it! Anyone have any experience with these?

Lastly, is there a practical difference between the basic Remington 1187 and the Premier? Or is it like the 870 Express vs. Wingmaster? Chromed bolt, fancier stock w/ bowling ball finish, slightly smoother action? I'm trying to decide between a 1187 Super Magnum and a Premier. Both are about the same price. I'm not sure how much an advantage shooting 3.5" shells will be, and I love the look and feel of my Wingmaster, so the Premier has a certain allure also. Any help appreciated!
Old November 21, 2005, 08:35 AM   #2
K80Geoff

Many manufacturers of Auto shotguns produce fancy models for the Sporting Clays crowd. Same gun but with more chrome, engraving, extended choke tubes etc. Beretta started with this and it is catching on.

Gentlemen who would normally be shooting $8000 K guns and Perazzis with gold engraving want their guns to look more expensive than normal shotguns.

Franchi is owned by Beretta, as is Benelli.

The Beretta is just a regular O/U with fancier wood and engraving. Some folks want the prestige. It's won't shoot any better than a standard Beretta.

I have shot with people shooting Verry expensive guns. If ya got it, flaunt it!