The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 27, 2009, 02:42 PM   #1
tarkio

Ruger M77 Mark II Trigger Help Needed

I have an older Ruger M77 Mark II (about 17 - 18 years old) that i would really like to lighten the trigger up on it.

I would like to know what my options are, replace vs. smith.

I don't know of a smith close by here that I trust to work on my trigger. I am sure I could find one though.

If I replace, I would like a trigger that the 3 place safety will continue to work. Who makes on that isn't through the roof pricewise?

Thanks for your help.
Old September 27, 2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

trigger

Sir;
The trigger is the spark that fires the mine! I'd be very careful turning this over to a "smith" who says he can do a trigger job. There is a tremendous amount of work to do a good and SAFE trigger job.
Measure your trigger and if it's at 4# leave it alome.
Harry B.
Old September 28, 2009, 01:55 PM   #3
bigbird34

Timney

I put a timney in my Ruger M77RL.....if your mechanical and can file ,and afford another $80.00 or so if you screw up the filing ,then buy a timney on the gun ....you'll need to file metal on the replacement trigger ,for the safety to work with the new trigger ,over file,and your timney is junk !!!!

I still couldn't hit a thing with the Ruger (light weight 30-06) so I traded it for a T/C Icon.....now we're talking accurate .....I don't miss the Ruger !

Good Luck,Jim
Old September 28, 2009, 02:01 PM   #4
comn-cents

Have a couple of Timney's they work great.
Old September 28, 2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have a trigger from Jard on my MkII 204ruger. It is more than I could have ever imagined and it was $79.95. Installation was super easy, adjustments are well explained in the instructions and it works flawlessly. I ordered it with both 1lb and 1 1/2 lb springs. I installed the 1lb spring, it measures at 13 ounces. It is fabulous. It's just as good as the Timney in my uncles Remington. No creep, no overtravel, "breaks like glass" as they say. It's available up to 2 1/2 pounds which is actually pretty heavy, depending on what you're doing with the gun.

http://www.jardinc.com/
Old September 29, 2009, 12:25 AM   #6
tarkio

Quote:
Sir;
The trigger is the spark that fires the mine! I'd be very careful turning this over to a "smith" who says he can do a trigger job. There is a tremendous amount of work to do a good and SAFE trigger job.
Measure your trigger and if it's at 4# leave it alome.
Harry B.
I agree which is why I posted:

Quote:
I don't know of a smith close by here that I trust to work on my trigger.

I do not have a trigger break scale but I am guessing the trigger is over 6 lbs which is why I want to improve on it. The rifle is really capable of shooting quite well but with that crappy rough heavy trigger, it is really difficult to shoot very well at excess of 250 yards.

As far as a 1 or 1 1/2 lb trigger, no thanks. This is a hunting rifle that sees some hard treatment at times so I would like a 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 lb trigger.

But the key is I want to be certain the safety will continue to work completely.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is a hunting rifle that sees some hard treatment at times so I would like a 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 lb trigger.

But the key is I want to be certain the safety will continue to work completely.
Jard triggers are available up to 2 1/2 pounds at least, call and ask if a heavier spring might be available, and the factory safety continues to work. In fact, mine feels "safer" than it did with the original parts.

If you want the original trigger "fixed", I just sent a couple of shotgun triggers to Precision Sports in Oshkosh, WI. They are well liked by Randy Wakeman and Chuck Hawks.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_trigger_trouble.htm
http://www.precisiongunworks.com/Firearms.htm

Or, call
http://www.wildwestguns.com/ ask for Ken and tell him you're from TFL.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; September 29, 2009 at 10:30 AM.