The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 01:53 PM   #1
3kgt2nv

my new year resolution shoot 350 rounds per day or 127750 rounds in a year

After posting my normal shooting amounts of 80-100 k rounds per year i am often met with disbelief. I am going to start updating this thread every day starting jan 1st to document my shooting to demonstrate not only how easy it is to make time to shoot every day but to do so and not just "blaze thru ammo" I do not have my own shooting area i belong to a local gun club. I will be shooting a variety of handguns some in common caliber some in so "odd ball" stuff but nothing to crazy. Yes i do load my own ammo and I cast my own bullets so the cost will be about 3-5000 for the year depending on what i shoot more of especially if .22lr ammo is included. I will post pics of the guns im shooting the targets and keep a round count for the entire year. Any questions people have ill answer and just like on my facebook status anyone thats local I would be more than happy to have shooting company.

Last edited by 3kgt2nv; December 8, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old December 8, 2012, 02:03 PM   #2
9mm

Sounds like you going to be broke, unless you shoot 22lr. If you are shooting 300 rounds of 9,40,45 every day in three days thats 1k rounds which is $300ish. thats $600 weekly. Like $3000 a month in ammo ?
Old December 8, 2012, 02:12 PM   #3
3kgt2nv

1000 rounds cost me about 30-40 bucks depending on the caliber. 1000 45 acp rounds cost me about $33 dollars to make or 3.3 cents per round. I estimate the total cost of this is going to be about 3000-5000 for the year which is what i normally spend on shooting.
Old December 8, 2012, 02:42 PM   #4
velillen

Just curious how its only 30 to 40 for 1k of 45. Primers and powder seems like it would be around that alone.

Is love to shoot that much but van with work and other hobbies. Is have to shoot more like 500-600 or more a day to make up for all the days I couldn't shoot

Last edited by velillen; December 8, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old December 8, 2012, 02:44 PM   #5
ohen cepel

Good on you if you can pull it off. I couldn't come close to that with travel and other commitments. Maybe if I got back into air guns hard I could do 1/2 of that.

Have you planned for the days you can't get out? Sick, Christmas, weddings, funerals, etc.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old December 8, 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
3kgt2nv

i did alot of thinking on this in the last few weeks. i know when its freezing or 100 out trips will be shorter but on spring and fall days 4-5 hour long range days will easily fill in for the short or missing days. I routinely do 1000 round days where i will bring 3 or 4 different guns and run drills and stance training as well as other stuff.

with the 350 per day i figure that will be 1-2 hours a day. my gun club is 2 minutes away from my job so it is convenient for me. And they have 4 ranges from steel target to fixed nm style spots.

Quote:
Just curious how its only 30 to 40 for 1k of 45. Primers and powder seems like it would be around that alone.
I cast my own bullets so all i pay for is powder and primers. all my lead is scrap range lead and my brass is all recovered range brass.
Old December 8, 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Bob Wright

I will be interested in the outcome. When I shot in competition, I found I could not practice every day without adversely affecting my shooting.

But, go for it!

Bob Wright
Old December 8, 2012, 03:38 PM   #8
3kgt2nv

yeah i found the same also. thats why i routinely goof off instead of trying to always do serious shooting. plus with just having spine surgery 3 months ago i am in no shape to shoot competitively right now.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:39 PM   #9
kahrguy

Sounds like a round count yearly average that many pros shot except even they take time off from shooting. Loading and shooting sure will eat up a lot of a day.

Why do you think this is a wise thing to do and what do you plan on getting out of it besides maybe becomeing a better shooter, maybe.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:46 PM   #10
TennJed

1-2 hours a day shooting and how many a day casting and reloading. You are not only got to shoot 120k rounds but cast and load them?

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have a family? Anything in your life other than this?
Old December 8, 2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Sparks1957

I'm curious, too, as to what your goal is. Surely you have the potential to sharpen your skills, but we all know people that mistake sheer volume of practice for an actual improvement in ability, when less shooting might do the job.

You're going to be busy between the casting, reloading, and shooting. I think for me, the shine would wear off after a few weeks.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:04 PM   #12
wpsdlrg

Why ? I, too, enjoy shooting. However, this just seems a good way to wear out equipment. That quantity of rounds expended will NOT make for improved shooting capabilities. Once one passes a certain point, in terms of training purposes, additional rounds will not improve one's abilities. That "certain point" of rounds expended will vary with the individual. I think that the more important issue is being sure to stay in practice, that is, shoot often enough so as to not "get rusty", rather than the number of rounds expended.

I seriously doubt if even top national competitors shoot quite that much - especially after they become that good.

If I tried to shoot that much, I'd get bored with it. It would start to seem like WORK.

No offense intended, but, are you simply trying to impress everyone in some way? I hope not, because it doesn't make it - at least not for me. Are you trying to set a record, perhaps ?

I have to ask, as well.....don't you have a job to go to ?

Your choice - do as you like. And, best of luck with your endeavor. I REALLY don't mean to sound offensive - and I'm truly sorry if it seems that way. However, I'm sorry to say this, but, in my view, this will simply be a waste....of time, money and equipment....with nothing really to show for it.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; December 8, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Dragline45

Don't you think it would be more worthwhile to have a more fulfilling goal for your resolution than to shoot 350 rounds a day? The most you will get out of it is to become a better shooter, but you could shoot 2-3 times a week and still gain just as much experience. It's not like you are learning to play an instrument or losing 50 pounds, you are just shooting which is something you enjoy doing anyway. I mean typically I see a New Years Resolution as a way to better yourself. I like to shoot just as much as the next guy, but I would never want to make it a chore as you plan to do.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:23 PM   #14
lamarw

Why not shoot an additional few rounds each day in the time it takes to bore us(pun intended) with a daily update. You can give us a total at the end of next year.

I doubt many of us will follow your daily updates.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:30 PM   #15
thedudeabides

I'd check my blood lead level if I were you.
Old December 8, 2012, 08:48 PM   #16
orionengnr

I just did a quick calculation--I am getting around $5k for .22LR alone.
If you are loading .45 acp for $3/50 that is $7665.

If I was retired, and had no other interests, I could find time to put together 350 rounds per day and shoot them.

Without rushing things (meaningful practice) I usually go through 100 rounds per hour. I guess I could rush things a bit and go for 150...especially if I had a whole bunch of pre-loaded mags...but that takes time too, and I prefer to shoot 5 rounds at a target, get a look at the results, and try to shoot each target to the best of my ability.

Practice makes perfect...but only if you practice perfectly. Hard to do that if you are just trying to burn up "x" rounds and get to picking up brass and getting on to tumbling, etc.

Yes, I would also need to tumble cases and cast boolits. I realize that I could do a week's worth at a time...but the hours all add up, whether once a day or once a month.

Not to say that this would take up 8 hours per day, but it sure looks as if it would start to resemble a full-time job after a while...7 days a week, every week, for a full year.

If you have the time, the resources and the inclination, and it doesn't become a chore, I wish you luck.

I am no world class shooter, and never will be. FWIW, I am 56 y.o., and I also had spinal fusion surgery almost six years ago... and may be having another soon.

I have also made a fairly significant improvement in my shooting in the last five years, and for me the best ROI was shooting once a week for an hour or an hour and a half, taking my time, and shooting 100 rounds of .22LR to every 50 founds of CF ammo.

In reading your post, I'm not sure if it is your goal to simply expend a bunch of money, time and ammo...or to actually improve your shooting in a meaningful way. If the latter, I think that an hour or two per month from a good instructor, added to some meaningful practice, will yield better results.

Best regards, Rich
Old December 9, 2012, 10:27 AM   #17
3kgt2nv

my main reason for this is the spinal surgery i had was to correct an issue that was slowly causing me to become paralyzed from the shoulders down. I used to shoot cowboy action, idpa, pal, bullseye, shotgun trap shooting and sporting clays, 600,1000yrd rifle matches. for the last 3 months i could not even hold a handgun because it was to heavy. I used to be a very active shooter and since my back isnt up to dealing with my car hobby yet I have the extra time and resources to devote to my shooting hobbies to get back to the same point I was at before the surgery since i have to relearn how to hold and shoot since i now have weakness and numbness in my arms legs and back. This is a resolution for me because im 33 years old and everything i love to do has been stopped because of my back. i cant pick my kids up, i can barely work, my car hobby is on hold maybe permanently, no more motorcycles, no more dirt bikes and snow mobiles. I need something to distract me from being depressed and taking the easy road and saying screw it im disabled give me my obama phone and disability check.

This is not some attempt to impress anyone on here personally i dont know anyone here and other than sharing a hobby or interest which you guys all seem more inclined to talk me out of this it makes no difference to me. it is me setting a goal i can actually reach. for all i know i might go out and shoot 100 rounds and it hurts my back so much i cant shoot. Talking to my physical therapist he said go for it since its lower stress repetitive it will help rebuild muscle in my back and help to calm my nerves.

As far as the time requirement with loading and cleaning brass and all that. i swore off tv for a resolution a few years back so instead of sitting there doing that i load. with a dillion 650 to load 350 rounds every night takes about 30 minutes. i have 3 dillion 2001 tumblers so i turn them on in the am and empty them 4 hours later before i leave for work. With the 3 of them i can clean about 2500-3000 cases in a few hours that i can use to actually shoot. True that casting bullets take a while but on days when my back decides it doesnt want to shoot i will cast bullets and make ingots for the next casting day. I currently have about 12000 45 acp bullets already cast and a slightly lower number of 9mm and 38's.

and as far as the cost here we go once again.

1 pound of bullseye powder 14.99 (i get about 1800 45acp or 9mm rounds out of that)
1 box of primers 25.00

total cost if i only get 1000 rounds per pound of powder $39.99 / 1000 = .03999 cents per round or $2 bucks a box.

if i average $40 per 1000 rounds x 128k = 5120 and that takes into account no 22lr.

Quote:
I'd check my blood lead level if I were you.
gets checked 2 times a year

Quote:
Why not shoot an additional few rounds each day in the time it takes to bore us(pun intended) with a daily update. You can give us a total at the end of next year.

I doubt many of us will follow your daily updates.
dont really care if people are avid followers. this is for me to keep track and maybe share some guns people dont own or try out different things if people want to see something.

Quote:
Why ? I, too, enjoy shooting. However, this just seems a good way to wear out equipment. That quantity of rounds expended will NOT make for improved shooting capabilities. Once one passes a certain point, in terms of training purposes, additional rounds will not improve one's abilities. That "certain point" of rounds expended will vary with the individual. I think that the more important issue is being sure to stay in practice, that is, shoot often enough so as to not "get rusty", rather than the number of rounds expended.
if i wear out equipment it gets replaced. problem solved. its not just a number of shots im going for. its consistency and repeatability. and if it bores you and seams like work thats fine. I feel the same way about tv and sporting events like baseball and football. AS far as the job i work a regular 50 hour per week job. I just happen to belong to a range that is on the way to work so instead of sleeping late i leave earlier for work and shoot before work.

Quote:
You're going to be busy between the casting, reloading, and shooting. I think for me, the shine would wear off after a few weeks.
i hope it keeps me busy thats what i need, And im sure the shine will wear off and there is times im sure that i will want to say screw it. And those are the times I will hit the range even harder.

Quote:
Why do you think this is a wise thing to do and what do you plan on getting out of it besides maybe becomeing a better shooter, maybe.
I think its wise because shooting has been a part of my life for a long time and i refuse to let a tumor in my spine make me give in and stop doing everything. As far as what i plan on getting out of it other than becoming a better shooter. enjoyment fisrt off, teaching my son that you can do things even when its hard to do so. I get to spend time outdoors and around other people, I get to shoot (duh) and i get to challenge myself to be as good and better than i was.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:52 AM   #18
KMAX

Sounds pretty far out there to me, but go for it if you want. Good luck with your goal and good luck with your healing.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 9, 2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Venom1956

Please let me help you!

I wish I was in the position to do something like that. It sounds great.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 9, 2012, 01:13 PM   #20
Sparks1957

Well, I hope you get what you hope out of it. That much shooting, day in and day out, sounds like a chore to me... and I love to shoot.

However, in my younger days I lived by the motto "anything worth doing is worth doing to excess", so go for it. I want to see how long you last.
Old December 9, 2012, 03:02 PM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

uuuuuuuuhhh........

Bills? Job? Family?

Wow...
Old December 9, 2012, 03:30 PM   #22
3kgt2nv

Quote:
uuuuuuuuhhh........

Bills? Job? Family?

Wow...
bills are paid I dont live on my credit cards so im not a slave to having a ton of bills and demands on my income.

shoot before work as stated

wife and kids are busy before i go to work so not missing anything

Quote:
Please let me help you!

I wish I was in the position to do something like that. It sounds great.
If you lived nearby i would love to have you out for some shooting.
Old December 9, 2012, 05:47 PM   #23
Mello2u

3kgt2nv,

I hope you accomplish your goal.

Sounds like you have some aspect of physical therapy involved. Pushing yourself to be active after spinal surgery may be a good thing.

Maybe you could capture some video and post it on youtube and link it in this thread later on.

I'd like to shoot more, but nearest place for me to shoot is at my sister's property about two hours away. Pop a couple of caps for me.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old December 9, 2012, 05:55 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

That is so awesome. Really hope you do this and keep us updated. That would be amazing.
Old December 9, 2012, 07:06 PM   #25
Sharpsdressed Man

I trained for a match to the tune of 1000 rounds a weeks for a month. Doing it right, even THAT was a chore....working to make each round count for every drill was much like the demands of an olympic athlete, and in addition to a regular job, demanded too much time an energy. And I REALLY like to shoot, when it's fun, but that took the fun out of it. Good luck.