The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 08:17 PM   #26
SauerGrapes

I have at least 6 for every gun. I have 3 1911s but only 12 mags. All though I only have 2 for my sub compact carry piece.

So I guess I really don't have 6 for each gun.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 8, 2013, 11:57 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

I would say the minimum number is 2. Magazines can, and do fail. Without a spare, you are done, if the one goes bad (for any reason).

Common defensive arms, and those used for games need multiple mags, both for the above reason, and often just to be able to compete in a match.

Note how virtually all quality semi autos (other than .22s) usually come with a spare magazine. Without a spare, you lose one of the major advantages to a semi auto, the rapid reload.

But magazines can be lost, or damaged, and they do wear out faster than the rest of the gun. Thin metal, holes that can become worn, springs that can wear out, mag lips that can become bent or deformed. Sometimes just dropping a mag on a hard surface can be enough to screw it up.

And, lets say you can't easily or cheaply get replacements? How many would be enough to ensure a lifetime of reliable use?
Old January 9, 2013, 12:01 AM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Magazines - How many do you really need?
Two, maybe three times as many as I've got.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:06 AM   #29
Xfire68

I say 17 for your AR's and 6 for your pistol's. Why that many? Because that is what I have and if it's good enough for me it's good enough for anyone! LOL ®™©
Old January 9, 2013, 12:10 AM   #30
jasmith85

I prefer to have 4 or 5 magazines per gun but a few of my guns haven't made it that far yet.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:15 AM   #31
Barnaby

Have 3 mags (couple 10's and one 17). Normally don't carry extra mag, unless going into "certain situations" for a length of time. But extra mags come in handy at range and for training classes.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:43 AM   #32
kozak6

I think probably 5-6 is a good start. If you rarely shoot, a couple less would be ok.

If I did shooting sports, maybe more would be reasonable.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:52 AM   #33
Rifleman1776

The "need" issue is an anti-gunners red herring.
Need has nothing to do with anything.
This is still America. You have a right to want something and acquire it with money earned from hard work.
Why do you "need" a fancy sofa or dining room set? You don't. But you want them and that is your right.
Drop the word "need" from the gun ban discussions. It is not a pertinent issue and if you get caught up in using it with the anti's, there is no defense.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:10 AM   #34
Double Naught Spy

10 per platform type. This allows for problems, losses, carry mags, range mags, etc. without ever being short for any of my typical needs.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:41 AM   #35
Fargazer

I tend to go for 5 per gun, then as opportunity presents itself I purchase a couple three more as a reserve. I stop buying when I hit 10.

Magazines are consumables - long term consumables perhaps, but still they wear out, and without the mag the gun isn't much good.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:44 AM   #36
Moby

I don't want anyone telling me how many I need.
If I want 50 per gun it's my business.

I purchased an AR10 and 10 mags.

I have four for each pistol and want more.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 9, 2013, 09:47 AM   #37
Woody55

@Rifleman1776:

Quote:
The "need" issue is an anti-gunners red herring.
Need has nothing to do with anything.
This is still America. You have a right to want something and acquire it with money earned from hard work.
Why do you "need" a fancy sofa or dining room set? You don't. But you want them and that is your right.
Drop the word "need" from the gun ban discussions. It is not a pertinent issue and if you get caught up in using it with the anti's, there is no defense.
While that may be true, this isn't a gun ban discussion.

This is a what to do with limited resources discussion.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:16 AM   #38
tlm225

I want a minimum of three mags per gun so I still have two to use if one gets misplaced or broken . I do have nine for my Glock 23 but only because I came across a deal to good to pass on a few years ago.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:49 PM   #39
spanishjames

Quote:
But magazines can be lost, or damaged, and they do wear out faster than the rest of the gun. Thin metal, holes that can become worn, springs that can wear out, mag lips that can become bent or deformed. Sometimes just dropping a mag on a hard surface can be enough to screw it up.

And, lets say you can't easily or cheaply get replacements? How many would be enough to ensure a lifetime of reliable use?
Great, now I need ten of each. Thanks a lot.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:33 PM   #40
Xaak

How many magazines do I need?

Probably one or two... more than I already have. With cleaning, maintenance, potential failure and anti-gun lobbyists driving up the costs because of their rhetoric about banning them making them very limited in availability, I guess one or two more wouldn't hurt.

Kind of like asking, do you need a really really good scope, a top line red dot sight, a better trigger upgrade, a stock or a bi-pod. I don't think that what or how many should ever be restricted to a law abiding citizen that wants to own these items in the amount they can afford.

How much money do you need? Seems relevant.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:13 PM   #41
Doublea A

I have a minimum of 5-7 per gun. I have separated them into range magazines and self defense mags. But with the current climate, I have increased my total to 6 30rds AR Mags, 2-20rd AR Mags. I have two Glock 19 with 11 magazines of 15rds and one 1911 with 3 8rd mag and 2 7rds mag. My minimum rule is 5 and maximum being 10 per gun.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:15 PM   #42
D.W. Drang

Aguila Blanca said
Quote:
Two, maybe three times as many as I've got.
This.

Hopefully, you only need one. But what if you're at the range and don't want to be stuffing rounds into the mag when you could (should?) be shooting?
What if you're attacked by a gang of zombie ninja bikers?
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old January 9, 2013, 09:06 PM   #43
armoredman

I need as many as I want and can afford. That number fluctuates.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:36 PM   #44
Strafer Gott

I'm in the situation were the G.I. mag works across several weapons. The Mossberg bolt, my Sig 556, the Colt's all use the same magazines. So I guess maybe five 20 rnd and one 30 rnd for giggles. 5 for the P239, 6 for the m1carbine, 4 for the 6906, and so on ad nauseum. I'm really starting to appreciate the tube feed pumps and lever guns.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:34 AM   #45
medalguy

Depends on the gun. I have several AR platforms and about 20- 20 rounders, and I think about 30 -30 rounders. For my FAL I have about 15, for the 1911 models about 15, and for the 92FS which I like to shoot, about 25. But I need more when the prices get cheap again.
Old January 10, 2013, 03:21 AM   #46
thallub

i need every one of those 20 round Colt magazines in their original Army packing.
Old January 10, 2013, 03:53 AM   #47
Ignition Override

My Enfields only need one each, and they never come out.
The SKS has a fixed magazine which is reliable.
The Garand only needs one loaded clip.

With no Hezbollah or Taliban swine in west TN, which could require rifles with their designed ranges and power, these magazines or clips are enough.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:34 AM   #48
MLeake

If you don't compete, one en bloc clip may be fine, but it never hurts to have spares in case of breakage.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:15 PM   #49
RamItOne

don't need any at this price
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MAG-074
100 green backs for a PMAG

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old February 3, 2013, 05:20 PM   #50
jason_iowa

I buy a min of 10 with each weapon that uses magazines. I figure that should last me my lifetime and my nephews lifetime even with damaged ones. For AK's I probably have 2-300, no plastic ones though. I don't need that many but when I find em cheap, 6-8$ before all this crap, I buy em.