The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
daywalker627

Casting Bullets

Well, I have decided that along with reloading, and the frustration of going to order bullets for my 45 and reading out of stock on backorder and the local shops not having any in stock or having ran the price higher than they should be, to give casting a try. So today, deciding to go with step 1, while I was refueling my truck at the local truck stop, I walked over to the garage and asked the owner about all of the wheel weights from the big rigs. He told me that he had never thought about what to do with all of the used weights. I had told him what my intentions were and he told me that whenever I wanted to, I was free to come over and collect up all of the wheel weights that I wanted from out back of the shop. He had told me that from this point on, he will start putting them in a corner for me to pick up. Now that I have that out of the way, I will start looking at some of the molds and bottom spout pots.

Now with these wheel weights, they have rust and crudd all over them. I am sure I will need to clean these before use. Do I just dip them into water and then scrub with a brush, or is there something special that I will have to do to clean them?

Any help will be appreciated. I am going to start looking for manuels on casting and start reading up on it on the web. So far from what I have read, one just doesn't throw wheel weights in the pot and pour into the molds.

Thanks everyone, time to get the ole eyes a good workout.
Old February 19, 2009, 04:54 PM   #2
teeroux

I use wheel weights and i don't clean them but I cast from a black iron pot with a turkey fryer outside.

If you want to use an electric pot I would recommend casting the wheel weights into ingots for use in the pot. The reason I recommend this is that not only are they dirty and have rusted metal clips to scoop out some of them are also painted and can leave lots of crude in your pot.

Last edited by teeroux; February 21, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old February 19, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3
CrustyFN

Take care of that guy, free weights are very hard to find. I have two small tire shops where I get free weights. They don't want anything for them but I bring them a 12 pack of Coke or a case depending on how much I get. They appreciate it and make sure they save me some weights. As far as cleaning them before you smelt don't worry about it. All of the crap will come to the top and can be scooped out. When you add weights to the pot they have to be completely dry or you will have problems. You don't want to smelt in your casting pot. The easiest way for me to smelt was to get a turkey fryer burner and cast iron dutch oven. This is my smelting set up.

The bars weigh around 8 pounds and the muffins around 3. Hope this helps.
Rusty
Old February 19, 2009, 09:14 PM   #4
shepherddogs

Grab the WWs while you can. And molten lead and water don't mix. If you get one drop of water in a hot leadpot it will explode and blow molten lead all over you. No Fun. So don't wash them. Just skim the dirt off the top after fluxing. Check out a site called Cast Boolits.
Old February 20, 2009, 01:10 AM   #5
daywalker627

Ok, so, I take it that you all smelt first and pour into ingots. Then when your ready, you use your regular casting furnace to cast into the molds. I am starting to understand a little more.

Thanks for the site, I will def. check that out. I had been warned about the water and melting lead not mixing. If I had to clean them first, I was going to wash them really good then, place them next to my wood stove in the basement, while it is still cold outside, and let the heat from the stove dry them for a few days.

Now that I know about smelting first, drawing off all of the crud, then pour into ingots, I will not worry about the cleaning.

Yea, when I get my tools together and buckets, I believe I will get him a dozen donuts and some drinks and head on out back and start collecting. He said he understood why I wanted to cast bullets and that he did not blame me one bit, and that if he could help me out, then go at it. He does not own guns or shoot, nor is he against them and wishes me all the good luck.

Now, just set my coffee can up on the head board and start putting away the green to go towards my equipment and hope they are still in stock when the time comes to buy.
Old February 20, 2009, 12:09 PM   #6
CrustyFN

When you get ready to cast all you will need to add is a bottom pour pot ( Lee works great ) and your mold. A lot of the small tools you use for smelting can be used to cast. You will also need something to flux with. Old candles work great or you can buy wax at the craft store. A one inch cube of wax is plenty. Saw dust will also work and I stir the smelting pot with an old broken off shovel handle.
Rusty