The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2009, 08:12 PM   #1
vranasaurus

Broke some equipment today

I broke the decapping pin and bent the decapping rod in my lube die on the first round and then did the same in my sizing die on the 4th round.

I am sure RCBS will send replacements but it is still frustrating.

Is this a common occurence with crimped 5.56?
Old January 6, 2009, 09:51 PM   #2
yosemitesamaz

the decaping pin broke on me after th 20th case i took it back to sportsman and they exchanged it for me. if your loadinf military brass have spare pins on hand . i learned that the hard way!
Old January 6, 2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Sam06

I keep 10 spares on hand and have been known to rob from other dies before I did. With spares on hand you will never break a de-capping pin again Its like a law if your spare tire is flat you will have a flat kind of law. If you have a bunch of spares nothing will happen. The Zen of reloading................
Old January 6, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4
vranasaurus

I think the worst thing is that I not only broke the pins but bent the threaded portion of the decapping/expanding rod.
Old January 6, 2009, 10:14 PM   #5
Sam06

That is bad what did you do get a piece of eurotrash brass mixed up in your brass? I have done that before.

I am not the biggest Lee supporter here, in fact I try to steer people away from lee stuff but their Universal De-capping die is plenty tuff. That and a old lee load all is all have of their stuff left(I have some 38 spl dies but I don't use them all to much anymore). Lee has good customer support though and they stuff is all over the place so its easy to find replacements and spares.
Old January 6, 2009, 10:26 PM   #6
PDshooter

I've broken my decaping pins many times over the years.........RCBS send me replacement N/C every time!
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old January 6, 2009, 11:50 PM   #7
Crankylove

I had a bent decapping pin/rod for my .270 dies, and my brother had a bent pin for his 220 swift dies. He called RCBS, they sent a new decapping/sizing assemly for the 270, and half a dozen pins for his 220 swift no charge. All my experiences with them have been good.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:22 AM   #8
LHB1

Quote: "I think the worst thing is that I not only broke the pins but bent the threaded portion of the decapping/expanding rod."

Do you have the decapping rod set so far down that it is hitting the inside of case and bending the rod or did it bend just from the pressure of pin breaking? Check to be sure the rod is not hitting inside bottom of case.
Old January 7, 2009, 09:23 AM   #9
DEDON45

If you bent the threaded portion of the rod, check out what LHB said... this is what happened to a buddy's 6.5/06 dies (took me a while to figure out what he did)... he took the dies out of the box, and didn't check that they were properly adjusted. RCBS mailed us a replacement expander / decapper assembly at no charge, class act.
Old January 7, 2009, 11:26 AM   #10
The Lovemaster

vranasaurus, I use the Lee Universal Decapper die, and in a year I've broken one pin, It's a good die.
Old January 7, 2009, 11:46 AM   #11
PCJim

If you are using Lee dies...

The most recent lot of .223 range pickup brass I was working with had some brass with an oddball headstamp, "IX" if I remember correctly. It did not break the pin, but pulled the pin out of the neck expander rod. I thought the pin was broke and cussed a bit knowing that I had no spares, until I felt both ends of the "broken" pin and realized what had happened. The flash hole in that particular headstamp is smaller than the diameter of the pin, causing the pin to simply pull out. I tapped the stuck pin out of the flash hole with a nail punch then reset the pin in the rod with a couple of gentle taps with a hammer. I was back in business.

The Lee dies I have use a slip collet to hold the depriming pin/expander rod in the die. If too much resistance is encountered, the rod is pushed up in the die which both saves damage to the deprimer and becomes visibly evident as the rod will then extend about 1/2 inch above the top of the die. A quick two wrench loosing of the collet and resetting of the rod's position gets the user back in business.

I suppose I've been fortunate enough thus far not to actually break or bend a pin.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:14 PM   #12
vranasaurus

Just got off the phone with RCBS. They are sending me the rods and extra pins.

They certainly have a no hassle warranty.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:03 PM   #13
rcupka

I keep a universal decapping die as a spare as well, it can be used in a pinch