The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2005, 01:02 AM   #1
gifted

.500 Slap?

There was a guy in while I was hanging out. He had a 7.62x25 load with him that he was looking at loading. It was a 50 grain .223 in a sabot. We talked a bit, he wanted to find loading supplies so he could mess around with them for less. It got my imagination going, and I figured why not?

.500 S&W+.30 bullet+sabot.

What kind of performance would you get out of a load like this? Or would I actually have to find the stuff to load it up to find out?
Old February 20, 2005, 07:57 AM   #2
griz

Not find the stuff, you would have to make it. As far as I know, nobody makes a 50-30 sabot. The closest thing is maybe one meant for a 50 cal muzzleloader, and I think that would only step down to a 45 or 44. You would also be on your own as far as data went since nobody has tried that.

Just a guess on my part, but you might have to invest in a good pair of sunglasses because of the muzzle flash from that combo.