The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 10, 2011, 05:03 PM   #1
boogy886

Some Legal Questions

Hey guys,

New to the forum, been shooting since I was a young kid. My fiance and I will be getting our concealed carry permits in our home state of Texas in Feb. Her carry pistol will be a Ruger .380 and mine will be a Taurus 24/7 Pro .45.

I travel for work, I manage a territory of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. Of course most of my time is spent here in Texas but I will be in each state at least once a month. My question is, is there a way to get a concealed permit in each state? Other than buying a house in each state...

Events like the shooting in AZ over the weekend leave me wanting to be armed 24/7!!

Thanks in advance for the info! I've browsed the forum a few times and it looks like a nice place to be with plenty of info! Looking forward to learning more and maybe doing some teaching as well!

Sorry for the lengthy post!
Old January 10, 2011, 05:11 PM   #2
MLeake

Your Texas permit...

... is good in the states you mentioned.

handgunlaw.us is a website you might want to check out.

http://handgunlaw.us/

This link has info on Texas's gun laws, and a map at the top showing the states that recognize a Texas permit. OK, AR, and LA are all in blue, which is good.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

You'll want to go to the main page, to access the laws for those states, so you can see what their prohibited areas are, and what other rules you may have to follow when you visit them.
Old January 10, 2011, 07:12 PM   #3
carguychris

Additionally, the TXDPS maintains a list of states with reciprocal agreements with TX. OK, AR, & LA are all on the list.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...eciprocity.htm

Make sure, however, that you read the text of the rules for the "Unilateral" states. In several cases, TX recognizes the other state's permits, but not vice versa.
Old January 11, 2011, 10:55 AM   #4
boogy886

Awesome! Thanks! I guess this is probably stuff I will learn in the CHL course. I just never have known and figured I'd ask...

I'll be sure to read up on the law to make sure I don't get into any trouble.

Appreciate the info!
Old January 11, 2011, 12:24 PM   #5
psyfly

Would also be a good idea to be aware of the differences in OK, LA, and AR carry laws as the law of the state you are in at the time applies, even if they do honor your TX Concealed Carry License.

Best,

Will