The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 26, 2009, 02:23 AM   #26
vinchypl

I'd go with a 12 ga. with double O like our other friends are advocating, if time and occassion permit. If I face off with a wild chimp, I'd have to keep my wits and composure and if I'd have to shoot it, I'd shoot it with whatever I have on hand, usually a 9mm s&w 5904 or glock 17. I heard somewhere that an adult chimp has enough power to level a ufc fighter in less than 2 minutes. Chimps are wild animals and it's unfortunate what happened to that chimp and its owner. But what's important when faced with an angry one and you can't avoid it, draw and shoot. Center mass, which seems the easiest, and shoot til it's no longer a threat.
I remember my Dad telling me about a brave cop in the 60's here in Manila when a tiger busted loose from the Manila zoo and headed for the nearby FB Harrison fairgrounds (that sure emptied the area!). The only cop to go in and look for the big bengal cat was named Barbers and he went in armed with a Winchester model 12 riot gun loaded with 12 ga. with 00buck. When he heard the tiger growling from behind a booth he let go a shot, which hit the cat behind the plywood and made the tiger lurch up and then another which dropped the animal. Point is 2 hits of 00 that dropped a big bengal tiger are more than enough for a chimp, but composure and wits is also equally important.
Old February 27, 2009, 07:44 PM   #27
Socrates

Points real simple: Tiger, chimp, most wild animals get a claw, paw, or hand on you, and, it's OVER. I'll use what keeps the animal from grabbing me. Sub machine gun, double rifle, comes to mind...
Old February 27, 2009, 09:56 PM   #28
Inspector3711

I vote for the 577 T-rex... The ultimate chimp stopper.

Go big or stay home
Old February 27, 2009, 10:49 PM   #29
bcarver

chimp load

What you need to remember is they don't have thumbs.
What you need is a single-action. That way if the chimp gets his hands on it he can't cock it.
Last thing you want is a chimp with a glock poping rounds off at you.
Old February 27, 2009, 11:34 PM   #30
Inspector3711

Your forgot something Bob...

Quote:
Last thing you want is a chimp with a glock poping rounds off at you
My addition:

with a smile on his greasy mug and his tongue sticking out!
Old February 28, 2009, 11:48 AM   #31
Socrates

Fear the chimp:

Old February 28, 2009, 12:09 PM   #32
Fremmer

Quote:
Peter Capstick told about his battles with baboons in a multi-part article in American Hunter called "The Killer Baboons of Vlakfontein."
LOL, man, you know life is rough when there are killer baboons running around.

Quote:
Shoot until Bad Chimp quits moving.
That's awesome, Art! LOL.

My personal chimp gun is a 12 gauge.....'cause you never know when you'll be faced with a dangerous monkey in Nebraska.
Old February 28, 2009, 12:18 PM   #33
Socrates

Capstick is CLEARLY a fiction writer...
Old March 10, 2009, 04:00 PM   #34
James R. Burke

.30-06 165 grain Nosler or something bigger or smaller in the .30-06 (Partition)