The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Oriyen

870 Super Magnum upgrades for HD please help .

I bought this gun used , it is my first shot gun , I have owned pistols , revolvers & rifles in the past .
I really do like this shotgun & I want it to perform to the best of its abilities since I'll be using it as an HD gun.
I am going to change out the fore end on it because it does not fit well at all & actually was modified to make it fit .
If you rack it hard it will jam up against the barrel & the slide .
I took it off the slide & the jamming issue went away, completely .
it is just not made for the 870 super mag with the factory 3.5" ribbed barrel which is what I have on the gun.
I plan on using 2.75" 00 loads but I want to be able to use any shell I want to , after I shoot a few 3,5" shells I may never want to shoot them again.
I am also changing out the extractor and spring its not the MIM but there is damage on the corner of the extractor which you could only see if you removed the bolt from the reciever.
pics to follow post
I am not having trouble feeding shells , do you think I should change the magazine spring or just leave it , if so which brand for an extended mag( advanced technology inc. Remington 7 shot )
giving me 7+1.
I may even change out the stock but I want to shoot with it a while before I do that.
please recommend some stock options for me , I'm 6'-4" tall - 320#
from the tip of my longest finger to my arm pit is about 30' long with my arm straight out in front of me .
I also need a good butt pad since the gun didn't come with one . and a good light that attaches to the barrel or the mag extension .thanks in advance .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo extractor.JPG (159.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg photo 870 super magh.JPG (194.5 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Oriyen; December 1, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old December 1, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Boomer58cal

Those extractors don't generally fail even if they are mildly damaged, but that said, I'd fix it anyway.

Mag springs are pretty cheap, I'd buy 2 and keep a spare around.

Extended mag. Pretty cool if you really think you need one, But they make the gun a bit unwieldy for indoors.

Butt pad. They make a 1 inch thick one that really helps.

Boomer
Old December 1, 2013, 05:59 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

The more "stuff" you add up front, the more unwieldy the gun becomes and much that harder to swing easily so watch the weight with mag extensions, rails, flashlights, etc.

When it comes to HD, K.I.S.S. is really your friend
Old December 1, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Oriyen

I saw this one & it sort of made me rethink the extended mag.
it would solve the flash light issue & it looks good , seems stable , I could always install a side saddle & some extra ammo .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1000lv.jpg (91.9 KB, 46 views)
Old December 1, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Oriyen

yes I know what you mean plus I don't like the look of a shotgun that has too much going on , I will try to avoid clearing & stick to trying to secure the family if possible & call the police & protect everyone with force if necessary.
Old December 1, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Clearing is not SD as you are now going on the offensive. Gather folks in one room, call 911, point the muzzle at the door with everyone secured behind a bed or similar and let them take the TV - that's what homeowner's insurance is for. Not a time, ESPECIALLY with a family and young kids, to get all macho over a few "things"
Old December 1, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Oriyen

this one is light weight & looks good, I will try to see if I can find a limbsaver or something similar for a butt pad & try to make it fit the stock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo light.JPG (235.6 KB, 34 views)
Old December 1, 2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Oriyen

I agree totally with you BigD I hope I never have to experience it in my lifetime but if I ever have to make a decision I want to be prepared
my little ones are not so little anymore but they are still my babies . my son is 23 & my daughters are 26 & 19 .
the oldest has flown the coop & I'm sure the next oldest is going to follow suit just as soon as he is comfortable enough financially .
Old December 1, 2013, 07:58 PM   #9
rcase1234

I can't really recommend anything except for the flashlight. It's the Klarus XT20. I don't have one mounted on anything but it's small, light, and very bright. Has 3 brightness modes ranging from 600 lumens - 20 lumens (I think that's the lowest). Plus it has a strobe setting. I have one and it is AWESOME!
Old December 1, 2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Sheikyourbootie

Flashlight, 00bk and call it good. If you feel like you need anything to add ammo capacity get a cheap butt cuff, and maybe a velcro receiver side saddle.
Old December 1, 2013, 08:15 PM   #11
semi_problomatic

I'm not going to curl up in a fetal position and wait for someone who's already broken into my house to try and come through my bedroom as well. Thats just me though.

I severely doubt adding a mag tube extension and the few rounds that fit in there will make the weapon "unwieldy". I mean really, it's not like you're adding a 5# weight.

Since you're looking for both: http://www.environmentalled.com/Insi...FUtp7AodV2EADQ
Old December 1, 2013, 08:40 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

No one said anything about curling up in a fetal position - can your macho BS please

You obviously do not shoot a shotgun often enough. I shoot clay targets and I can tell you after shooting over 300,000 rounds that adding just a few ounces to the barrels affects your swing dramatically; so adding a light, laser, rails, mag extension, extra ammo, etc meaning almost a pound WILL have a MAJOR difference
Old December 1, 2013, 09:02 PM   #13
rcase1234

BigD I am totally with you. Just gather in one room and don't think your Rambo. That intruder could get the jump on you just as easy as you can on them
Old December 2, 2013, 08:26 PM   #14
Oriyen

thanks everyone for the replies , I am going to keep it simple & go with a fore end lighting system & a comfortable stock at this time , I may at some point add the extra ammo but for now eight well placed shots seems like enough .
all hell will be breaking loose at that point and if someone is bold enough to stick around after you've shot eight 00 bucks at them you need to be good at stress loading , which is something I sort of practice all the time except I use eight snap caps .
it seems to me that the snap caps and the live rounds handle differently , I think its the feel & the weight of them , you can improve your loading technique and do some dry firing using the snap caps but when I load live rounds I'm in a more serious frame of mind & I'm extremely conscious of that safety & the position of my trigger finger .
I'll buy a butt cuff & see how I like it , shouldn't cost too much to experiment with and you can remove it easily enough.
Old December 2, 2013, 09:14 PM   #15
semi_problomatic

Not really macho BS. Simple math. If you have time to gather every one up and hide behind your bed you also have time to meet them at the door. Most houses I know have bedrooms on one side of the house and master bedroom on the other. Which means you're crossing in front of any entry points twice (unless bg is coming in through a bedroom window... Which means your kids are already potentially in danger).

If you could be suprised going towards the bg why couldn't you be suprised scurrying back and forth across your house?

Clays and HD are totally different. Not only is the target much larger and much closer, it's not flying through the air and you're not shooting at a bunch of different stands. Besides, your advice is to hide behind the bed and point the gun at the door. What does it matter if he chains a 50# weight to the end of the barrel at that point? What is he swinging at?

Oh yeah....one last thing about trap...arn't you using a 30-32" double barreled O/U? How is an extra 8 or so inches of barrel and choke inserts that much heavier than a flashlight at the forearm and an extra round or two?

Last edited by semi_problomatic; December 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old December 3, 2013, 06:18 PM   #16
Oriyen

I understand your point about crossing paths with an intruder which is very possible , I feel that is the main reason a person should have a family plan for emergencies , fire, injury , health , intrusion etc.
also a good reason to be able to clearly identify who you are aiming the business end at .

we must try to secure / locate friendlies first if there is time. if there is no time then exercise your plan of action that you have been practicing over & over & over again ,

front door? back door? window ? garage side entry ? is the electricity on? is the alarm sounding ? round chambered ? safety on or off ?
Old December 4, 2013, 09:10 PM   #17
Oriyen

before & after photo

installed the new for end today , changed out the extractor & spring , dropped in a stainless steel follower.
major improvement on fit & feel in my hand , no more loose sloppy fore end , every thing lines up with minimal roll .
just a nice smooth stroke , no sticking or jamming no matter how hard I pull .
so far I like it .
the bottom pic shows the new fore end . that is the old spring & extractor.
the old spring was bigger in circumference than the new one , so much that I had to get a pin and pluck it out
the new spring fit in the hole better and I could get it to shake loose when I turned the bolt upside down .
the new extractor was the same size but it was a bit thinner than the new one , what's up with that?
any comments welcome . it seems like I'm going in the right direction . now I want to improve the stock or just replace it all together.
tell me your thoughts on the matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small 12.JPG (112.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg photospring & extractor.JPG (115.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg stainless steel follower.JPG (107.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Oriyen; December 4, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old December 4, 2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Dreaming100Straight

In a situation where the kids are one side of the house and you the other, I can understand why a parent wouldn't wan to hole up in the master br. Still, staying put in a defensive position may be the best course. That is a tough call, but you aren't doing anyone any good if you are taken and your gun is taken while you try to make it to your young ones.

What I notice all to often is that the guys with full tactical weaponry usually opt for heavy buck shot loads, which is just what you don't want if you may have to shoot at an intruder located between you and the kids.

There is a difference in making it to your kids and taking a defensive posture and clearing a house.

Me. I gave up and wired the entire house with Claymores.
Old December 4, 2013, 09:23 PM   #19
Oriyen

lol watch your step in the dark on the way to the kitchen for a midnight snack .
I'm not a fan of the full tactical look.

Last edited by Oriyen; December 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old January 9, 2014, 05:20 PM   #20
Oriyen

a few pics of my fore end modification
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2 - Copy.JPG (35.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (36.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (37.6 KB, 18 views)
Old January 9, 2014, 05:37 PM   #21
Oriyen

I cut the bottom of it out to allow better access to the bottom port with the slide pulled back.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:40 PM   #22
Dc777

" I plan on using 2.75" 00 loads but I want to be able to use any shell I want to , after I shoot a few 3,5" shells I may never want to shoot them again"

Make sure you get someone to video tape it if you do shoot them. I wish I had filmed my dad shooting one out of my 870. It drove him backwards.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:59 PM   #23
Ruger480

If you shoot 3.5s out of that gun you will regret it. That buttstock angles downward in relation to the plane of the barrel. What I mean is, the recoil is going to be in a straight line with the barrel, putting that force into a small area at the top point of your buttstock.

To illustrate, lay the gun on your kitchen table. Slide the gun backwards and notice which part if the buttstock crosses an imaginary line first. That point is where your recoil will be concentrated. Make sense?

Basically I'm suggesting you replace it.
Old January 12, 2014, 07:31 PM   #24
shortwave

Not so much a suggestion of 'add on's' but since you've made a few mods., when you practice , shuck it with some authority to make sure it functions well. Under stress a fella sometimes gets a bit stronger and faster with the adrenaline flow going on. Just don't get to fast and short stroke it or you'll be left standing there with a good looking club.

Would also try loads other then 00 buck and see what patterns best at the furthest distance I'd have to shoot in the house. There are some nice reduced recoil HD loads available for shotguns these days.

Last edited by shortwave; January 12, 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old January 13, 2014, 10:17 PM   #25
Oriyen

new Choate stock picture

replaced the old one today, top image , new choate stock .
bottom image , old assault style stock . it had a poor fitting fore end & the length of pull was too short for me .

the new fore end fits tightly, does not bind up, the new stock's LOP is longer & fits me better, it has a soft rubber pad & does not have any sharp parts underneath where my thumb wraps around the pistol grip .

it has a much better area for cheek weld. I can see straight down the top of the rib on the barrel .

now if I can find a great flash light & maybe a good side saddle for a few extra rounds I think I will be satisfied. I'm not sure how many will fit on the side with the style of fore end I have ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (38.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg Attachment-1.jpeg (19.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 8702014.jpg (93.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Oriyen; January 14, 2014 at 07:07 PM.