The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 19, 2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Wildalaska

Gun Control Works!

":FBI: New York safest big city in 2005

43 minutes ago

New York remained the safest of the nation's 10 largest cities in 2005, with about one crime reported for every 37 people, according to FBI statistics.

The annual report "shows that our innovative efforts to reduce crime and increase New Yorkers' quality of life are working," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement Monday after the agency released the figures.

The large city with the highest total crime rate was Dallas, with about one crime reported for every 12 people. Los Angeles, the nation's second largest city, ranked third safest, with about one crime for every 26 people.

San Jose took the No. 2 spot, while San Diego ranked fourth. Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, San Antonio and then Phoenix followed.

The number of reported crimes in New York fell 4.3 percent last year, while the number nationwide dropped 1.2 percent. Police statistics show crime in the city has continued to fall this year, down 5.04 percent by Sept. 10 compared with the same period in 2005.

The national figures showed that violent crime rose 2.3 percent last year, the first increase since 2001. But in New York City, violent crimes — which include murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault — fell 1.9 percent."

WildseeeveryonecanplaythesillygameAlaska
Old September 19, 2006, 04:53 PM   #2
mr00jimbo

I don't think that gun control had anything to do with it...unless something in the law drastically changed? That's like saying if DC's crime rate cooled off it could be attributed to gun control.
Old September 19, 2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Really? Ya mean there are OTHER factors that just gun control?

WildwhowouldhavethunkitAlaska
Old September 19, 2006, 05:17 PM   #4
CobrayCommando

Quote:
Really? Ya mean there are OTHER factors that just gun control?
NO! Now shutup before a gun hater sees this. Oh wait!
Old September 19, 2006, 05:19 PM   #5
Wildalaska

I guess you see my point then

Wildja?Alaska
Old September 19, 2006, 06:22 PM   #6
reils49

HAHAHA... wait..... gun control works? (suddenly the background music kicks in, and we hear "This message was approved by Hillary Clinton.")
Old September 19, 2006, 06:23 PM   #7
badbob

"New York remained the safest of the nation's 10 largest cities in 2005, with about one crime reported for every 37 people, according to FBI statistics."

One crime reported for every 37 people is something to brag about? Let's all move to NYC.

badbob
Old September 19, 2006, 06:35 PM   #8
CobrayCommando

Quote:
I guess you see my point then
LOL yes.
Old September 19, 2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Wildalaska

Quote:
One crime reported for every 37 people is something to brag about? Let's all move to NYC
Yes, youre right lets move to Dallas instead

WildlotsofgunsandmorecrimeAlaska
Old September 19, 2006, 06:49 PM   #10
CobrayCommando

Dallas/Fort Worth's crime rate is one of the reasons that I didn't move there. It was fairly shocking when I checked, not sure what it is now.
Old September 19, 2006, 08:12 PM   #11
S.Miller

The first thought I had was that NYC may be safer because of post-9/11 upgrades in security. I truly don't know what, if anything, has been done to improve NYC's general safety in the past 5 years though, so it's merely an abstract thought.
Old September 19, 2006, 08:27 PM   #12
Epyon

Let's not forget...

New York as a state doesn't have many people spread out, except for New York City, and Buffalo etc. As for gun control working, what exactly would cause this drop in crime? Did the anti-gunners switch to shurikens and katanas instead? Someone please enlighten me.

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old September 20, 2006, 10:37 AM   #13
Big Calhoun

How's this for irony. I lived in New Jersey and had been trying to convince my wife to move to Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY. She said it was too dangerous. We now live in Dallas County, Irving, TX. Ooops!

Those numbers can probably be scaled down a bit. Dallas doesn't have nearly the population that NY has. I'd also be interested to know what the study used to constitute 'NYC'. Some studies use all 5 boroughs. Some studies only use Manhattan. Makes a BIG difference.
Old September 20, 2006, 01:27 PM   #14
silicon wolverine

If you want a low crime rate move to lodgepole SD (my home town). THere has been one, count it, ONE crime in the last fifteen years. in 1991 some doofus came in off the highway and beat up a guy for his billfold. The nieghbor saw it and whacked the guy with a steel fence post. The cops came and hauled the guy off. Hes in teh clink for aggravated assault. End of story.

SW
Old September 20, 2006, 05:25 PM   #15
bobhwry

I put about as much faith in the crime statistics as I do in my chances of winning the lottery!! Numbers can be manipulated in so many ways that you can come up with whatever result you want.
Maybe Dallas is more honest in reporting or their number crunchers are not as "creative" as in NYC.
Figures lie and liars figure!!!
Old September 20, 2006, 05:37 PM   #16
JR47

In all honesty, NYC has been working actively to supress so-called "nuisance crime". That's traffic violations, graffitti, pan-handling, jay-walking, public urination, loitering, and so on. Being effective against that would reduce the crime "rate" substantially in just about any heavily populated area. What it says about violent crime isn't mentioned. The violent crime statistics are lumped in with all the rest. So, while the "crime rate" may be down per individual, the violent crime rate per individual may be an entirely different matter.
Old September 20, 2006, 05:43 PM   #17
Trip20

I can't wait for the nearest gun buy-back program.

If I'm safe in New York, I'm definitely a-OK here in nowhere Wisconsin.

PS -- Uh, guys, I could be off here, but I think WA is just pointing out how any side of an issue can use rhetoric and distortion to further it's agenda. I also take it as a reminder to defend the 2A on it's virtue, not on the numbers you can find using Google.
Old September 20, 2006, 05:53 PM   #18
Wildalaska

Hooray for Trip

WildyougotitbuddyAlaska
Old September 20, 2006, 07:26 PM   #19
Trip20

Sweet, I win!

Grand prize is a p7m8, all I gotta do is pay shipping?

You've got to be kidding me! And to think I didn't want to get out of bed this morning!

Wow... the cold medicine is really nailin' me hard right now...
Old September 20, 2006, 11:06 PM   #20
roscoe

NYC has one of the highest cop-to-citizen ratios of any large city. That actually does reduce crime. Of course, crime is low in police states as well. Ever been to Pyongyang?
Old September 20, 2006, 11:13 PM   #21
hoghunting

The numbers are being manipulated by the way crimes are being reported. In Dallas if you shoot into a house with 5 people inside, then the charge is 5 counts of assault. If a person robs a group of 3 people, he is charged with 3 counts of robbery.

New York figures things a little differently. Shooting into a house with 5 people is considered 1 shooting. Robbing a group of 3 people is considered 1 robbery.
Old September 21, 2006, 12:51 AM   #22
CobrayCommando

Ok... People...

This is getting sad. Wildalaska was just trying to make a point about statistics. Ironically what I said about statistics being meaningless yet more important to most people in another thread in general seems to be proven in this thread.

I "win" afterall!