The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 07:29 AM   #51
Southern Shooter

Refocus.........................

This is a great discussion. Thanks for all of the input, so far. Just wanted to toss this back out there.

Quote:
We were discussing emergency preparedness, food storage, and of course stocking up of ammunition. We debated this question: As a last ditch effort, would a .36 caliber, 158 grain, semi-wadcutter, traveling at 830-850 FPS, hitting center-mass, be effective as a self-defense round?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old December 10, 2012, 11:31 AM   #52
kraigwy

Real life penetration of Lyman's 358477 150 gr LSWC, cast from wheel weights, meaning not excessively hard.

I shot this guy with my Model 28, using the above bullet, pushed by 14.5 grns of 2400. He was charging my police car. Hit in the neck just below the skull. In my 20 years with the Anchorage Police Dept. I've probably kill close to a dozen moose after being injured in traffic accidents. Never had to shoot one twice.

On this guy, disregard the photo, I staged that for my grand kids. I bought the buffalo from excess at Custer state Park. Shot him in the head just below the horn base. First round was too high and bounced off. Second round, a little lower, half way between the horn base and eyes did the trick.

I don't carry my Model 28 much any more but I use the same bullet in my 642 pocket revolver. I've put down horses,and after muff shots on deer, finished them off.

I have all the faith in the world in the 150-158 grn LSWCs. I see no reason to change now.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 10, 2012, 12:16 PM   #53
Nanuk

Quote:
I shot this guy with my Model 28, using the above bullet, pushed by 14.5 grns of 2400. He was charging my police car. Hit in the neck just below the skull. In my 20 years with the Anchorage Police Dept. I've probably kill close to a dozen moose after being injured in traffic accidents. Never had to shoot one twice.
That is a nice load. Should be clocking about 1200 fps from you model 28. Significantly more than the LRN @700 FPS a lot of folks seem to think is acceptable.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:21 PM   #54
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk
That is a nice load. Should be clocking about 1200 fps from you model 28. Significantly more than the LRN @700 FPS a lot of folks seem to think is acceptable.
Where does anyone claim the LRN @ 700 FPS is acceptable in this thread? I guess I missed that. Maybe you could point it out?
Old December 10, 2012, 01:07 PM   #55
ltc444

For a prepper on a limited budget the 38spl 158 grain swc is a good way to increase your ammo stocks. Since you reload you have the ability to further reduce your cost by reducing the quantity of cases you maintain.

Having said that, I would also stock a quantity of top of the line ammo for actual defense in the early stages of a break down.

As the discussion has said: The SWCs are excellent small to medium game loads. For defense there may be a better defense load available.

If you would like to discus this further, please PM me.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:29 PM   #56
deputy tom

I like the lead SWC for target use and as a carry load. The ones that I carry however are 158gr LSWCHP+Ps.tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old December 11, 2012, 09:49 PM   #57
Nanuk

Quote:
Where does anyone claim the LRN @ 700 FPS is acceptable in this thread? I guess I missed that. Maybe you could point it out?
I guess I missed it too......
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:48 AM   #58
warningshot

xx

xx
Old December 13, 2012, 11:42 AM   #59
Tennessee Jed

Glad to see this thread. I've been thinking the same thing. I find 158 grain SWCs around 800-850 fps to be the most accurate round out of my j-frames. Doesn't kick too badly, very cheap to load, and I shoot a lot of them.

If it's true that shot placement is the most important element (and it is), then it makes a whole lot of sense to carry the round I shoot best and most frequently.