The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 21, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1
UniversalFrost

whats the best 9mm can for a semi auto pitsol

Ok folks,

give me your reviews of the cans out there you own or have owned/shot for a 9mm pistol (I will be putting on a 92FS).

I am looking at a gemtech and a yhm, but would like input from all.

Thanks in advance,

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old March 21, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
2ndchance

Both of my cans are from Advanced Armament Corp. Their Evolution 9 is a pretty nice can. only 7.75" and weighing only 10oz, it has a good sound reduction rate up to 41dB dry.
Old March 22, 2008, 07:29 PM   #3
douglasschuckert

Stay away from the Gemtech Trinity. Side by side to my Evo-9 the Evo is a LOT quieter. (GemTech's other cans are TOP NOTCH, I OWN BOTH of their Viper Cans, and man do they pur)... The FRP (first round pop of the Trinity, will KILL your ears)...

I personally own a Evo-9 from AAC. Its a GREAT can, although if I had it to do over again I'd get the 9mm can from SWR or the quietest 9mm can on the market the HTC Cycle.

I got the Evo-9 because it was my 2nd purcahse. My first was a AAC Pilot (amazing little bugger)

If you're looking for something close to what you see in the movies, then get a .22 can. Its the only one that will do what you see on TV. A 9mm can, will still make your ears ring (unless you're like me and already suffer from slight hearing loss).
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old March 22, 2008, 07:40 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

hey doug thanks for your reviews. this is exactly the type of personal feedback I am looking for.

I already have a few .22 caliber cans and a supressed ruger mkII barrel, but I just picked up a threaded barrel for one of my 92FS's and I really was looking at getting a 9mm can.

I have owned several .45 cans in the past and they were all worthless for osund reduction unless I wanted to load to rounds so light that the gun (hk mk23) would not cycle correctly unlees I had a super light spring.

Now, what springs are you running in your guns with these cans? Also, how light are you loading the rounds?

Old March 22, 2008, 08:04 PM   #5
VUPDblue

The most effective and plesant to shoot 9mm can that I have ever experienced is the SWR Trident 9. I have used plenty of 9mm cans, and the Trident wins hands-down.
Old March 22, 2008, 09:23 PM   #6
9mmkungfu

Could you give more info on the HTC Cycle? I don't think I've heard of that one.
Old March 23, 2008, 07:13 PM   #7
douglasschuckert

If you want a 9mm can, I agree with the above. The SWR Trident is PRIMO.

For some reason I forgot about that can. The Trident is actually about 2dB quieter than the HTC per adverage. Now remember dB's are logrithmic. A simple change in 1 or 2 dB makes a BIG difference!

The good thing about the Trident, is its a WORK HORSE! It can handle lightly sustained full auto fire (it is full auto rated, with exceptions... IF all you shoot is full auto, then it will eventually wear out, but SWR has a lifetime warrantee so if you do shoot it out, SWR will repair or replace it).

With the LID (or Nielson Device) the can will cycle any 9mm you put it on.. GET THE TRIDENT if you want a SUPER 9mm can!

I cant spell worth a grap, so look past that :-)
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old March 24, 2008, 06:07 PM   #8
LiquidTension7

Trident all the way. Not only is it super quiet, but the ability to switch mounting systems is just cool
Old March 28, 2008, 05:51 PM   #9
LiquidTension7

Oh yeah, www.major-malfunction.com probably has the best price on cans - especially if you have someone locally that doesn't charge and arm and a leg for transfers. Pricing out a Trident with the two expensive mounts, it's $50 cheaper to go through M-M and that's AFTER paying a $100 transfer fee. Hey, there's 25% of your tax stamp right there.
Old March 29, 2008, 03:49 PM   #10
douglasschuckert

www.major-malfunction.com

Dood.. you're not kidding... this guy does have some very good prices. The Barret M82A1s he has for sale are about 2g's less than what most everyone else wants for them... Good 2 Know!
Old April 16, 2008, 10:14 AM   #11
UniversalFrost

Well,

Thought I would give an update.

Got a Trident on order through my local (Tucson) class 3. I should have it waiting for me when I get back from my TDY.

Thanks for all the input.

I will post a review when i get back and get the Trident on my gun (expect early july).

JOE

Old April 16, 2008, 03:38 PM   #12
VUPDblue

I'm glad we could help. You WILL NOT be disappointed with the Trident...