The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 1999, 07:45 PM   #1
OTIS

What is the difference between a Rem. 870 express HD and the police model 5 shot with standard stock?
Old December 15, 1999, 11:48 PM   #2
Blue Jays

Otis, my man! Remember Animal House?

The primary differences between the two models is that the:

Police Magnum will accept extended mag tube.
Police Magnum has the Parkerized finish.
Police Magnum has sight upgrades available.

There is a wealth of information available comparing the merits of these models on TFL. Rather than conducting a search, you could even read all the posts going back a few months to get a complete picture.

Good luck with your choice, I've learned that one of the side benefits of getting the extended magazine tube is that the gun flexes less and feeds a bit more reliably.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old December 16, 1999, 06:12 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Blue Jays, in over 40 years of shooting 870s both personally and professionally, I've seen only a few Failures to Feed.Most of those were caused by short stroking or baby stroking the slide. If one uses a fair amount of effort, the 870 WILL feed.
The 870 is quite reliable.

As for extended mag tubes, there's a coupla minor advantages besides a few more shots before reloading. The extra weight removes some bite from the recoil and when using slugs,acts to stiffen the bbl and reduces group size, oft considerably.
Old December 21, 1999, 10:59 PM   #4
P-35

You can get the Police model with rifle sights on the barrel.
Old December 22, 1999, 12:15 AM   #5
saylerman

And in addition to whats mentioned above, (my 870P just came in yesterday) if I'm not mistaken about the HD (don't own one, I've only looked at/handled acouple) The 870 Police comes with the high vis follower (not sure about the HD), and the metal trigger group as opposed to the polymer on the HD. You can also get different configurations - barrel lengths, sights, mag capacities, finishes, stocks, etc.,the 870P comes with factory installed sling studs as well. I believe the HD comes only in 18", bead sight, standard capacity, parkerized, w/synthetic stock config.

DWJ

[This message has been edited by saylerman (edited December 22, 1999).]
Old December 22, 1999, 10:22 AM   #6
Bennett Richards

Metal trigger groups are no longer made for ANY 870 period. The part is not even available. All 870 trigger plates are now polymer.

Ben
Old December 22, 1999, 11:19 AM   #7
saylerman

Re: trigger plates -> Interesting...

My 870 Police which I ordered last week came in on 12/20/99. I have it right here in front of me. Brand new, I broke the seal on the box. It is serial # C6429XXX and has a metal trigger plate, not polymer.

Note - Just realized where the difference might be. I ordered this 870P as a duty weapon. In reading through the manual and parts list, it shows 4 different trigger plate assemblies, regular and "Restricted" in both right and left hand safety configurations. Maybe the metal trigger groups are only on "Restricted" 870's now?

DWJ

[This message has been edited by saylerman (edited December 22, 1999).]
Old December 22, 1999, 04:14 PM   #8
Bennett Richards

If you call reming6ton parts department and try and order a treplacement trigger plate for ANY 870 that is metal you will not be able to get one. I bought the LAST metal trigger plate in stock. From now on all Polymer.

Ben
Old December 22, 1999, 04:15 PM   #9
Bennett Richards

If you call Remington parts department and try and order a replacement trigger plate for ANY 870 that is metal you will not be able to get one. I bought the LAST metal trigger plate in stock. From now on all Polymer.

Ben
Old December 25, 1999, 02:41 AM   #10
Blue Jays

Hi Everyone-

Dave McC, you are absolutely right, sir! In my earlier post I accidentally stated:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Good luck with your choice, I've learned that one of the side benefits of getting the extended magazine tube is that the gun flexes less and feeds a bit more reliably.[/quote]

What I meant to say is "Good luck with your choice, I've learned that one of the side benefits of getting the extended magazine tube is that the gun flexes less and patterns a bit more reliably."

My current SG is a Rem 870 Police modified by Hans Vang...I couldn't be happier than with this firearm. There were a few hiccups at first, such as the magazine spring "tangling" itself within the tube, but the shotgun runs like a clock now.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes. Hope everyone on TFL is having a safe and healthy holiday season.

~ Blue Jays ~
Old December 25, 1999, 05:25 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

By patterning reliably, do you mean mo' tightly? Interesting....

Never thought about it before, but it makes sense, reducing bbl vibration and making it more consistent at the same time would help patterning, tho I dunno how you'd measure that.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays....