The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 10, 2001, 11:45 AM   #1
Redlg155

Fellow Shooters,

I decided to use Brownells teflon gun finish, the bake type you do in the oven and wonder if anyone has any experiences with this product.

I am refinishing the frame on my FM Hi Power to an OD Green color and leaving the slide black. I think the contrast will be interesting.

Prior to deciding, I took her to her first "formal" shooting session. Event though the slide/frame fit is sloppy ( I may peen the frame rails later to tighten it up, or leave it loose for reliability) the slide/barrel lock up is tight. It gave me one hole groups easily at 25 feet.

I'll post pics later after I do the project and as my custom work continues

Good shooting
RED
Old April 11, 2001, 02:38 AM   #2
Romulus

Looking forward to the pics. Are you applying the teflon over parked or blued finish?
Old April 11, 2001, 01:24 PM   #3
Redlg155

As for now the weapon has some type of "paint" type finish. I plan on stripping it off completely, doing some polishing to remove minor tooling marks, and then a trip to have it sand/bead blasted to add a bit of texture for the finish to adhere to.

I'm also waiting for a reply from Tripp Research. I sent them an Email last night, but according to their pricing, I will be able to have my frame done for $50.00. The brownells stuff costs me $25.00 and I have to do it myself, so I may go the professional route. I'm waiting to see if they can offer OD green as a color. The only pain in the butt is paying UPS money to have it shipped there and back..arrgggghhhhh!!

Good Shooting
RED
Old April 11, 2001, 06:30 PM   #4
railroader

I have used the brownell's and it works pretty good. I does kind of look like paint when you are done. I have also used gunkote and I like the looks of it better. With gunkote you need to sandblast the gun first for it to stick properly. I tried beadblasting and the gunkote doesn't adhere properly, with the brownell's beadblasting seemed fine. Gunkote comes in different colors and you spray it on with and air brush. I got my airbrush at walmart, it comes in a complete kit for $17. Here are two sites, one for gunkote and another is for John Norrel's firearm finish: http://www.kgproducts.net/ http://websearch.cs.com/cs/results/c...nnel=&gfirst=0
Old April 11, 2001, 08:15 PM   #5
PJ11B3VF7

Redleg155 and railroader, can you guys explain do it yourself bead blasting in more detail. I've been thinking about the same thing as Redleg155 since I have an FM Hi-Power as well.

Thanks
Old April 11, 2001, 11:38 PM   #6
Redlg155

I would think sandblasting or beadblasting the part would require the use of specialized equipment, more suited to a machine shop. I'll have to call around my area and see who can do it for a reasonable price.

If there is anyone out there that has a method that can be done at home, the info would be greatly appreciated!

RED
Old April 12, 2001, 12:56 AM   #7
railroader

There is an engine shop by me that has a bead blaster. I think they use glass beads instead of sand. The one problem with bead blasting is it removes the old finish great but it tends to kind of polish the metal and then the gunkote doesn't stick properly,the brownell's teflon moly seems to work ok. The sand blasting doesn't polish the metal so the gunkote sticks properly. The guy at the engine shop charges $10 to bead blast a gun and I found a local sandblasting company that has a booth and they said $25 for 15 minutes but he said he could probably do 3 pistols in that time. I guess you have to just call around. If you call gunkote the guy there is very helpful also.
Old April 13, 2001, 11:33 AM   #8
RickB

I did a Norinco in two-tone Brownells spray-n-bake, and it turned out well. I have had good luck "pickling" the parts in muriatic acid; it removes the finish, and etches the surface. Be sure the parts are warm and dry before spraying.