The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2001, 08:32 PM   #1
jimbrassell

MODERATOR EDIT:

This post contains loading information beyond that published in recognized loading manuals. The Hodgdon website does NOT recommend 4227 in this application.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
The Firing Line assumes no responsibility for use of this information.

No one here is against legitimate experimentation, but it should be accompanied with proper cautions.

Thanks, and Be Safe!
Johnny Guest
Handloading & Reloading Modferator
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ [

After reading Ross Seyfried's article in Handloader magazine about the .45 Colt and Ruger handguns, I started a quest to get the max out of my two Ruger Blackhawks. One is a 4 5/8 inch and the other is a 7 1/2 inch barrel length in newer Ruger Blackhawks. I looked at a number of powders and bullet weights. I settled on a hard 255 gr cast lead SWC and Hodgdon H4227. Then I ran into trouble. Little or no data on cast bullets and H4227. Well, I ventured into 'no mans land' and began experimenting. I've settled on 26.0 grains of H4227 and the 255 gr SWC (be mindful that that load is only for T/C or Ruger guns). No signs of pressure and empties nearly drop out of the cylinder. But it makes my 24.0 gr H4227 / 240 gr lead cast SWC load in a .44 Magnum seem tame by comparison. I'll chrono the .45 Colt load the next trip to the range, but I suspect I am pushing the bullet at about 1200-1275 fps. Anybody had any experience loading near max, max, or over max .45 Colt loads? By the way, my .454 Casuall in a SRH is at my friendly FFL's now.

[Edited by Johnny Guest on 03-27-2001 at 12:00 AM]
Old March 26, 2001, 09:28 PM   #2
bedlamite

What you have settled on is very close to Linebaugh's max load. You might want to read http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh/dissolving.htm For that matter, just read every article at http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh/ before you load another round, there is a lot of good info there.
Old March 26, 2001, 09:40 PM   #3
Steve Smith

Bedlamite beat me to it. Read everything there...I'llbet you wind up buying some H110, as it's yielding about 74 FPS faster with the same pressure as the H4227 loads. (hey, if you're going with max, go for max!
Old March 27, 2001, 03:04 PM   #4
38Mike

Bedlamite,

thanks for the links to John Linebaugh's site. I just bought a 45 colt Blackhawk. He's got a lot of good info....He states that H110 and 296 are basically the same. So,using his data, I could just substitute 296 where H110 is called out(?) Or, did I read him wrong.. I'm pretty happy with 231 powder, figure I'd give 296 a try for heavy stuff....

Mike M.
Old March 27, 2001, 08:15 PM   #5
jimbrassell

Thanks, bedlamite. And thanks, SteveSmith. The links to sixgunner.com are invaluable. I'm going to get some of the surplus 'H110-like' powder from M1 Carbine ammunition and give that a try. Think I'll also get me a jug of H110 and try it. My FFL says he is having a heck of a time getting any 296, so I may have to suck it up and order 8 pounds and eat the hazmat fee. Anyway, thanks for the comments. We're going to the range tomorrow and I'm gonna chrono the loads I've built. I'll keep you posted.
Old March 27, 2001, 08:51 PM   #6
bedlamite

H110 and W296 are the same powder, both Hodgdon and Winchester get them from the same supplier, the only difference is the deviation you would get from lot to lot of powder. One word of caution, H110 and W296 are very picky and do not work well in reduced loads.
Old March 28, 2001, 03:27 AM   #7
Bill Adair

Jim,

I've shot a few H-110 loads in my 5.5" Blackhawk, per the load data at Linebaugh's site. Tried 24gr of H-110 with 250gr Oregon Trail LRNFP bullets, and Win primers (WLP).

Velocity was all over the place with WLP primers, so I switched to magnum primers (CCI 350). Velocity increased considerably (to 1350 fps), and extreme spread came way down! Winchester makes only one large pistol primer, and it doesn't seem to be hot enough for H-110/W296 loads.

Bill
Old March 30, 2001, 08:26 PM   #8
jimbrassell

Thanks, Bill. Heard the same thing about WLP primers. Think I'll get me some CCI 350's and try 'em. Have had a few friends shot my Blackhawks with the H4227 load and all were impressed. I'd not hesitate to use the gun or the load on whitetails here in GA when they are under 50 yards (my limitation because of aged eyesight). Keep trying to get to the range to chrono those loads, but ol' man weather keeps getting in the way ... we went from drought to monsoon. Thanks again.
Old March 30, 2001, 09:24 PM   #9
Bill Adair

Jim,

Your welcome!

My friends won't shoot my H-110 loads, but they are perfectly willing to stand behind me, and chuckle loudly, when I shoot them!

I can relate to aging vision, as mine sure isn't what it used to be, but those great adjustable sights on the Blackhawk help a lot.

Bill