The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 26, 2015, 11:48 AM   #1
SaxonPig

My long history with Ruger firearms.

My first revolver was a 4&5/8" Blackhawk in 357 Magnum bought new in 1971. I sold or traded it somewhere along the line. Should have kept it.

Later I bought a 45 Colt BH with a 7.5" barrel. Had it cut to 4&5/8" then sold or traded it. Should have kept that one, too.

Acquired a 30 Carbine BH. Sold it. Bought another just like it. It was also gone within a few months. This is the definition of young and stupid, by the way. About 6 months ago I was feeling nostalgic and bought another 3 Screw 30 carbine BH. Will try to hang onto this one. All the BHs mentioned were Old Models. Wanted an Old Model with a short barrel in 41 Magnum but never found one.

About 25 years ago I bought the first of many Ruger 22 "Standard Model" auto pistols. Gave it away. Bought another. Gave it away, too. Picked up a third one. Yup, gave it away. Funny thing is I paid the exact same price for all of them. I always paid $100 for a Ruger 22.

In 1999 I was at a show in Salt Lake City and a guy was walking around with two Ruger 22 autos in holsters. He was stopped several times and he showed them to folks with no buyers. After about 20 minutes I asked to see them.

One was a 4.5" Standard Model and the other was a Mark I Target Model with a 6 &7/8" barrel. He wanted $100 (of course) and $125 respectively. I bought the short one at his asking price (naturally, this is what I was used to paying). After walking behind him for another 10 minutes I tapped him on the shoulder and asked if he'd take $100 for the other one, giving me $25 off as I had purchased the other at his asking price. Another $100 Ruger was mine. (What is that, five?) The Standard Model turned out to have been made in 1955, the year I was born. The Mark I dates from 1966, the year my wife was born. I'll keep these.

At some point I bought a Ruger 77 in 338 Winchester Magnum. Don't ask me why. Traded it having never fired it for a 6" Python. Still have the Colt. I think I came out ahead monetarily on that swap. Bought a 77 "International" in 308. Cool rifle. Sold it to a buddy. Picked up a stainless Mini 14. It was one of the recalled models and the dealer took it back as it was unfired and I didn't replace it.

Around 1989 I got a 10/22 from Walmart for $119. The basic model it looks the same today as the day I bought it. No "space guns" for me, thank you.

After Bill Ruger Sr. sold us out in 1994 on the Assault Weapon Ban I boycotted Ruger products for a long time. After his death I sort of relented. I got a #1 in 243 Winchester. I love the look of the #1 and after owning one I love the way they handle and shoot. I kind of went overboard with the #1 thing.

Most recently I bagged another 10/22. I had yearned (yes, I said I yearned) for a 10/22 with the Mannlicher stock for years. At a recent local show a storefront dealer was set up and he offered 20% off retail for all sales at the show that day. No excuses at that point. He had one, and that discount made the price right. He even paid the sales tax. Yee Haw!

Since the photo was taken I ditched the complicated scope covers.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything. Never had a Ruger DA revolver or a center firer auto pistol as I find all of them exceedingly ugly. But I have a fairly long and interesting history with Ruger firearms. No plans to add any more at this point. But you never really know on such things.
Old September 27, 2015, 09:13 AM   #2
drobs

Doc,

Let's see that 30 Carbine RBH. Sounds like a fun one to shoot.

Any luck finding another Colt SAA?
Old September 27, 2015, 03:06 PM   #3
lefteye

Interesting history. My first revolver was also a Ruger - a Single-Six that I regret selling many years ago. Over the years I also bought new a 77 .243, a 77/22, an original (i.e., LARGE) Vaquero and several semi-auto handguns. My favorite is a Mk II stainless, bull barrel .22 - very accurate and very fun to shoot.
Old September 28, 2015, 08:01 AM   #4
ballardw

First was that same .357 BH bought used in 1976. Still have mine
Old September 30, 2015, 02:51 PM   #5
CowTowner

MY first was a GP100 4 inch. Then a Blackhawk 6.5 inch in .41 Rem Mag. And recently, a SS Redhawk 5.5 inch in .41 Rem Mag.
I also picked up a Mark III from the estate of a former employer. In his honor, that gun is used for new shooter training only. That's what he bought it for originally.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 1, 2015, 10:59 PM   #6
ninjarealist

I own two Rugers, an LCP and an LC9s. The LC9s is a beautiful shooter but has some reliability issues with the magazine assembly. The LCP is the most reliable, utilitarian, firearm that I own and preforms flawlessly (knock on wood). Overall, my opinion of Ruger firearms is very high thus far. They offer a great product at a great price and the customer service has also been excellent.
Old October 2, 2015, 02:26 AM   #7
Sevens

Check the back of the safe, dig really deep... see if you can find a Red Label shotgun back there!
Old October 2, 2015, 11:53 AM   #8
RJM

Nice collection of No. 1s...Ruger No. 1s are awesome and they are one of my favorite rifles. They are making a really nice model 1B in 257 Wby nowadays through Lipseys that I have my eye on....that and the model 1s in .30-06 are on my want list.

I've wound up buying and selling so many Ruger single actions I don't think I could list them all...I like them, but they aren't my favorite revolver. I had an older model Vaquero with a 7.5" barrel or so in .45 colt that was a huge gun, but fun to shoot. Still wound up trading it. My Blackhawk in .327 is a gem...total keeper.

My favorite revolver that Ruger ever made was the 3" barrel SP101 in .327 federal mag, followed closely by the 3" barreled .357 magnum SP. Those are just solid revolvers that shoot really well.

I've never warmed to the GP though...I much prefer the Smith and Wessons for that size gun, but Talo distributing has some 3" barreled ones with Novak sights that are good looking. I might have to pick one of those up.
Old October 3, 2015, 12:04 AM   #9
Crankylove

My first Ruger was a GP100, in 2007.

I've since added:

MKIII 22/45
Blackhawk .45/.45 convertible
Blackhawk .41 Mag
SP101 .327 Federal
77/22 Hornet
Hawkeye .358 Win.

Would love to pick up a 4" RedHawk in .45 Colt or .44 Mag, and a 77/44.

I've never really warmed up to the No. 1 and No. 3. Nice guns.................just a bit on the ugly side. I prefer the looks of my 1885 Highwall.
Old November 20, 2015, 06:42 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

My father owned several Ruger Mk-series .22s over the years. The last one, a Mk-I standard nicknamed the "Spit Lead" was said to be "mine" but was traded off for ... well, who knows what (but the time frame fits store credit on a Redhawk or Winchester 1300 'Defender').
However, my father hated cleaning it, and it only ever saw cheap ammo. As such, no one liked shooting it, since you constantly got peppered with hot powder and lead (hence the nickname).

Aside from that, my first Ruger purchased with my money was a well-loved 1993 7.5" .44 Mag Super Blackhawk (traded it off, but it came back to me, praise the Ruger gods!). It has since been COMPLETELY rebuilt and refinished by Ruger (for free!), and is a brand-new revolver. The only parts reused were my frames, grip panels, and maybe the trigger.
From there, I added (probably in chronological order):
M77 Mk II
77 tang-safety
.327 Blackhawk
.327 GP-100
77/22 .22 LR
.327 LCR
.327 SP-101 4"

I really want an old Mk-I, but haven't found the right one yet...
(Plus some more 77 Mk IIs. Plus a Single-Seven. And a #1 International wouldn't hurt. And.... )
Old November 20, 2015, 07:17 AM   #11
Coogs

My first was a .44 Mag Super in 1978, haven't quit yet. Own a few #1's, love the 9.3 x 74R, 77's, 10/22's. The single actions have got me, though, especially the Maximum................got a "few" of them, Coogs.
Old November 20, 2015, 07:19 AM   #12
Jleonard

My first revolver was a Ruger Blackhawk convertible (357/9mm) I bought in 1975. Followed by a Single Six convertible that same year.
Didn't buy another until the early 90s bought a stainless speed six .38 (2 1/2 inch) for the wife and a security six in .357 (2 1/2 inch) for me, both used.
They all get smoother with age.
Old November 21, 2015, 11:23 AM   #13
Fishslayer

I'm a fanboi for Ruger .22s. 3 10/22s and several of the MK series pistols. Just can't beat 'em IMO. Recently added SBH in .44 Mag & .454 Casull. I'd have to look but in numbers my Rugers might be overtaking the S&Ws.

SaxonPig ya might wanna have a look at that new Bisley in .454 Casull. It's a lotta fun to have all at one time!
Old November 21, 2015, 11:44 AM   #14
vito

I never went out of my way to buy Rugers, but many years ago I wanted to have a 45acp semi auto, and saw the P97DC in the display case at a price of about half of what the other 45's were going for. Being on a tight budget, and with the encouragement of the saleman, I bought this gun (which by the way, over the many intervening years has NEVER had a single failure. Not an FTE, FTF or any other problem.) When I wanted a really tiny gun for easy concealed carry, I ended up buying a Ruger LCP. Later I wanted something with more power and capacity and after looking at several guns bought a Ruger sr40c. And finally, when I decided I wanted a small semi-auto in 9mm (the 380acp round in the LCP just never gave me much sense of confidence), I intended buying a S&W Shield, but the outstanding trigger on the Ruger LC9s won me over. So without ever meaning to, other than my Browning Buckmark, all of my semi-autos are Rugers. I have more revolvers than semi's, and all of those are S&W. But over time I have ended up carrying one of the three of the smaller Rugers rather than my S&W j-frame, because in this day of possible terror attacks, the 5 round capacity of the snubbie just isnt enough for me.