The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Budman2

Logical steps to put into batches

I've just gotten back into reloading, and because I've been firing factory ammo for a while, I've accumlated somewhere over 300 cases..probably enough for years of shooting. As I'm looking to experiement with "reciepies" in my two 270 rifles, while minimizing my time at the bench, I'm seeking to batch some steps to save time.

Tumble / polish -- clearly, no reason not to do them all as a single step, if in multiple batches. My objective is to get them all done, then put the tumbler away. Any tips on keeping that "freshly tumbled" shine?

Resize and seat primer: Is there any reason NOT to get all these done, and save the powder measure, bullet seating for later --- perhaps as I gather feedback on how my rifle(s) like a particular bullet and powder combo?

Your thoughts are most welcome! Thanks
Old November 12, 2007, 05:08 PM   #2
sknowskier

As far as I know there is no reason not to do those steps together.
Old November 12, 2007, 05:36 PM   #3
BigJimP

Cleaning and polishing is really one step ( I mix the polish into my cleaning media ). As far as keeping the brass shiny - I store all my cleaned and polished brass in rubbermaid containers with lids on them ( 5 gallon tubs ) - and I keep them in my shop ( but its heated full time ). But as long as you keep the tub in a warm environment where you won't get any condensation - or big changes in temp - you should be fine.

My only reservation about depriming and re-priming and then storing them would be the same issue / just make sure you don't get any condensation or it'll be a problem. I used to store excess brass in my garage / and it would get pretty nasty looking even after a few months from condensation.