The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 7, 2007, 03:21 PM   #1
UMP

Man Kills Buck With Knife!

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=55778

This hardcore guy killed a buck with a knife. Gotta love my homestate of Arkansas! Have any of ya'll had similiar experiences?
Old November 7, 2007, 03:41 PM   #2
davlandrum

Bet that wasn't a lot of fun while it was going on, but will provide story fodder for years!

I saw one killed with a knife, but it was in an urban area where guns would have been more trouble than it was worth. The deer was hung up in a fence by the horns and no one could get him loose.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 7, 2007, 03:45 PM   #3
UMP

That is crazy. Ya I know, I wish I could have a story like this one too!
Old November 7, 2007, 06:41 PM   #4
SavageSniper

When I was about 8, my Daddy and I were walking down the road infront of our house. He stopped and motioned me to as well. There was a 6 point standing on the side of the ditch about 10 feet away. Daddy had a long dog leash with him that he used on his catch dogs while hog hunting, about 10 ft long. He looped it into a noose, eased up to the buck and tossed it over his head. I swear, and if I am fibbing may I never touch a gun again. Then all hell broke out. You would think that a 200 pound backwoods farmer could handle a 150 pound deer. The struggle only lasted about 20 seconds and Daddy let it go. As he so matter of factly put it "catching that deer was like putting a wet noodle up a wildcats butt"
Old November 8, 2007, 02:40 AM   #5
predator86

thats a good read...you would be surprised on how strong the average deer is though....
Old November 8, 2007, 03:09 AM   #6
The Tourist

In the mid 1980's I worked for a long-distance telephone reseller that was branching out into publishing an executives' catalog, similar to The Sharper Image. We wanted distinctive products, and I invited salesman from Al Mar Knives to do a presentation.

During the spiel, I noticed a rather odd circular scar around the salesman's right thumb. As the conversation became more informal, he talked about the mark.

Returning to his car, he retrieved a beautiful dagger/hunting style knife, custom made for him by the factory.

He used the knife to drop out of trees and ambush ferral hogs.

He stated that one time he slipped. Instead of grabbing the hog firmly around the neck, his hand slipped into the animal's mouth, the tusk ripping open his thumb.

It takes all kinds, I guess.
Old November 8, 2007, 02:26 PM   #7
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
Back in the early '70's...

...I was stationed at NAS Glynco GA. I got "in" with the crash crew locals and they invited me to hunt with their local club. These guys used dogs to run the whitetails out of the palmetto thickets. One day a little spike buck got tangled up in a fence and one of the guys walked up and cut it's throat. It was a merciful thing since it already had broken it's leg. Anyway those guys were experts at cleaning deer and could have one skinned out and in pieces in less than 15 minutes. For this deer they started a great big fire with oak wood pallets and cooked it on a spit. It was the best venison I ever ate. Those were some of the best days of my life.
Old November 9, 2007, 04:06 AM   #8
Kilgoriii

"The Vincents learned later from a game warden that the deer was aggressive probably because it was in rut. "

These hunters had to learn this from a game warden later? Seems like pretty common knowledge for a deer hunter.

Old November 10, 2007, 09:06 AM   #9
ActivShootr

True story

That happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. He hit a deer with his Jeep and when he got out to investigate, the deer attacked him. Lucky for him the deer was still in velvet. Nevertheless it wouldn't let up and he ended up stabbing the thing to death. We still laugh about it to this day.
Old November 10, 2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A deer in an adrenalin rush can be an awesome display of strength.

My father's law was, "A camp meat buck is a spike shot in the neck." Camp meat was a staple at our deer lease. Old folks ordered, young folks obeyed.

So I shoot a little spike in the neck with my '06, at maybe 25 yards. Plop. He's maybe fifty or sixty pounds, live weight.

I roll him onto his back, step on the spraddled-out hind feet, and go to open the belly skin.

Oops! Seems he wasn't fully "dead-dead". He spasmed those hind legs and launched me over his head. Nothing bad happened, but I sure got a lesson...

Art
Old November 11, 2007, 10:24 AM   #11
king.460

I have had to "finish off " numerous whitetails by means other than extra shots (arrows are expensive) that included stabbing with a knife while the deer was still on hoof (in shock) and DROWNING (deer were paralyzed). Now that I mainly hunt with a handgun, the "final chapter" is much easier and doesn't remind me as much of Michael Myers or the Bates Hotel:barf:...
Old November 11, 2007, 02:12 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
This hardcore guy killed a buck with a knife.
No, he did not. The deer was put down by Harvey (see below).

I am not sure old Greg Vincent is the right guy to be teaching kids about nature and hunting. He apparently has a quite limited knowledge.

Quote:
In the woods in Fulton County for last weekend's youth hunt, the group was tracking a different deer that Vincent's son Kyle had shot when a six-point buck appeared in their path.

Vincent says the deer was about 15 yards away. The guns were back at camp and all Vincent had was his knife. He jokingly told the boys he'd handle the deer with the blade.
In the woods tracking down a wounded animal they shot, but nobody thought to bring along a gun?

Quote:
Within moments, his father, Harvey Vincent, finished off the animal with a shot from Kyle's rifle.
At least Harvey got a clue and knew what to do.

Quote:
The Vincents learned later from a game warden that the deer was aggressive probably because it was in rut.
Ya think?