The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 21, 2007, 09:50 AM   #1
goemado

Remington Trigger Assembly

Spent a weekend doing a pretty good pillar bedding job on my Remington 700BDL (if I say so myself). Devcon putty...pretty happy with the results. Then came trigger reassembly time...

I didn't take pictures of the trigger before I pulled the pins and removed the assembly. Now I have no idea how to reassemble the pieces (such as the bolt release, etc.). I've studied the few exploded views of the 700 rifle...but none show details of how these pieces fit together (eg, bolt release under/over front pin, etc.).

Can anyone provide pictures or a link that shows the components installed?

I'd appreciate the help....I'm anxious to get her back together and to the range to see how she shoots.

Appreciate the help.
Old April 21, 2007, 11:01 AM   #2
hoghunting

I don't know how much more detail you need, but here's a copy of the Owner's manual with a parts diagram:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_700.pdf
Old April 22, 2007, 09:14 AM   #3
goemado

Appreciate the help. I have the owner's manual and have seen the exploded parts diagram. Unfortunately these don't show the orientation of the bolt release (does it sit over or under the front pin), etc.

Again, appreciate the help. What would be very helpful is a photo of the left side of the trigger assembly (oriented to show the bolt release).

I'll keep trying and any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,
Old April 23, 2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Daniel BOON

Rem bdl bedding.

I was already to take my bdl aprt to bed the action; but I think I'll wait to see how yours turns out. keep us posted.
Old April 24, 2007, 09:17 PM   #5
goemado

Daniel Boon (the same Daniel from Archery Talk? I've "seen" you around many a thread over there).

Bedding the action wasn't difficult at all...I used Kiwi shoe polish as a release agent and plumber's putty in all the areas wher I didn't want the Devcon to flow...not difficult at all. Cinch the assembly tight with electrical tape and wait 8 hours or so...

Only issue was that I needed to fill in some areas where I didn't put enough Devcon. If you're interested in some advice, use more than you think you need...the excess will squeeze out and clean up really isn't that difficult (though I'd recommend using painter's tape to mask the entire stock and barrel...may overkill...but I didn't do this on a 10/22 I bedded and had some clean up - which is far harder after the material has cured).

Also, I would invest in a guided bit for drilling out the holes for the pillars....I spent too much time aligning mine under a bench top drill press. If I were to do it all over again, I'd invest in a guided bit (I believe Brownell's sells them) to make the job far easier.

Had I taken pictures (or made a simple sketch) of the trigger assembly before removing the parts, I would have no problems at all and be finished. As it stands, I'm just stuck until I figure out the assembly.

I wouldn't hesitate to bed another rifle. It is not as difficult as I once thought (other than putting the blankety blank trigger assembly back together again).

Good luck.
Old April 28, 2007, 08:28 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Why did you take the trigger apart?

None of my Remingtons has the trigger mechanism touching any part of the stock, so I am curious why you took it apart?

I freely admit I have never pillar bedded a rifle, is there something about this method that is different?
Old April 29, 2007, 10:15 AM   #7
goemado

I pillar and glass bed the action into the stock. I removed the components to make the bedding process easier and to eliminate the possibility of getting bedding material into the trigger assembly.

I didn't completely disassemble the trigger assembly. But I did remove the two pins holding it into the receiver - which also separated the bolt release and bolt release spring from the action. My issue is not reassembling the trigger components - it's figuring out how the bolt release and spring are oriented - I've studied the exploded view diagrams - none of them show how these two parts fit in their final locations.

Last edited by goemado; April 29, 2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old April 29, 2007, 02:36 PM   #8
goemado

Received the needed info on a separate forum site. No longer need the info.

Regards,