The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Buzzard

Question about 20ga

I bought a Rossi 223 that came with a 20ga barrel, I was just wondering how to test it for pattern and does it need to be broke in....quail season starts
Oct 3rd and I want to be ready.
Old September 17, 2008, 01:22 PM   #2
cbm1948

Buzz, I have never heard of breaking in a shotgun, I have several in 20 Ga and like the Ga a lot. Just make sure there are no obstructions in the bbl before you fire the 1st time, this goes for the .223 also. If you pick up a double with single shot please post it as many would like to know how.
Good Luck, Good Hunting and most of all enjoy.

Clint
Old September 17, 2008, 01:29 PM   #3
BigJimP

The combo model 223 / 20ga is a single shot. I think they all came with fixed chokes - so yes, you should take it to a pattern board, or staple some butcher paper to a couple of stakes in the ground at 25 yards or so - use a market and put a golf ball sized dot on paper. Hold right under the dot - and hold steady - and fire. Look at the point of impact vs the dot - if its high, low, left or right - you'll need to do something to stock to adjust the fit. Beyond that - depending on the shell you are using, look at the 30" pattern you get vs the dot - if its a Mod choke you should have a decent pattern at 25 yards.

If it is a fixed choke - you might play around with different shells - to see if you can change the pattern by altering your shells. Since its a 20ga get some 1 oz 7 1/2's at 1250 fps and see what you get ( besides just recoil ) / test some 7/8 loads at 1150 fps / 1200 fps / 1250 fps - with 9's, 8 1/2's and 8's and see what you get for a pattern.

You should certainly clean and lube the gun before - and after - you fire it. Spray a light coat of oil Rem Oil, Rig Oil or something on outside and wipe it down as well. It doesn't require a break in period - but you should spend some time with it - to make sure it fits and fires properly.

Last edited by BigJimP; September 17, 2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added notes
Old September 17, 2008, 02:01 PM   #4
zippy13

I suspect you have a new Rossi S20-223RS Matched Pair. Congratulations, may it give you many years of enjoyment.
Some shooters take special precautions "breaking-in" a new rifle or pistol barrel, but I've never heard of it in a shotgun barrel. However, a new break-open may have have a stiff action, perhaps this is what you mean. The main thing is to clean out all factory debris and preservatives before you start shooting. Like all break-open guns, it's paramount you keep the hinge pin and socket clean and properly lubricated. For my target guns I prefer the speciality grease STOS (Slicker Than Owl S**t). For field guns or wet target conditions, I go with Mobil I syntehtic grease.

Here's my custom grease gun.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
Old September 17, 2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Buzzard

Thanks for the info. I did get the matched pair. The .223 is great and I have not shot the 20 ga YET, . This is my first ever new shotgun so I had to ask.
I will take it out and patten test it, it does have the fixed MOD barrel.
If this is not good that is ok, I bought it for the .223 and I have a 12ga that holds a whopping pattern at 40yds.
Thanks again ALL for the info
Old September 17, 2008, 04:25 PM   #6
BigJimP

I hope you have fun with it.