The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 2, 2005, 08:56 PM   #1
juliebug

western field browning model 30

my uncle has a western field browning 16 ga. pump shot gun model 30
serial # 3413 has trade mark montgomery ward company does any one have information on this gun what year it was made or if its worth anything ... thanks for any help you can offer.
Old October 2, 2005, 09:18 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Western Field was a tradename used by Montgomery Ward on its guns and other sporting goods. That gun was made by Savage, and they made the same gun under their own name as the Model 520. It is long obsolete, but some parts are still available from Gun Parts Corporation.

The guns were never world beaters, but were a good, utility shotgun and generally lasted pretty well. IIRC, they were made from about WWI up through WWII, but they were expensive to make and fell to competition from newer designs. If the gun is functional and in decent shape (not rusted or damaged), it should be worth around $150 or so as a hunting gun, but the unpopular 16 gauge may make it hard to sell. There is no collector interest.

Jim
Old October 3, 2005, 11:02 AM   #3
jacobtowne

Jim:
While on this subject, perhaps you could identify the maker of these double guns my father bought from Ward's in the 1950s. They are both Ward's Western Field Deluxe, one 20 and one 12 gauge, and both say Model 530A.
I have several sources that list makers of house brands (Numrich and Hogg), but nowhere can I find this model.
Thanks.
JT