The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 6, 2012, 04:49 PM   #26
WW2

You might consider contacting Front-Sight in Las Vegas NV

Mr Nyanko;

The training you a seeking is available at http://www.frontsight.com/ near Las Vegas Nevada. Please contact them for details regarding your situation.

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:27 PM   #27
Mr Dish

Nyanko-San,

It seems to me that you might simplify your search by contacting the NRA. They would be the best bet for getting the information you need.

National Rifle Association of America
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

You can contact the NRA via phone at:
NRA Member Programs
1-800-672-3888

Good Luck.
Old February 8, 2012, 01:42 PM   #28
Nyanko

Thank you for all your help

About a month ago, I posted a question to ask that whether there is a firearms training course available to foreign nationals, in my case, a citizen of Japan.
I am glad that a lot of people kindly answered my questions, even though it must have been fairly rare, and my English is not so awesome.
Thank you for all the answers.

I recently found FrontSight does accept students from other countries.
There might be some other schools that are open to foreign nationals, but as far as I have searched, there are not many of them.

I also found that there are some shooting ranges in Guam which are open to tourists.
Although they are primarily for tourists, at least I wouldn't have to worry about leagal issues, so this might be a best compromise.
Also, some of them seem to have a wide variety of guns.
I am not sure whether they have courses in which I can learn the basic of the shooting, and I am still very much interested in taking courses which are held on US Mainland.

In the meantime, as I continued with my searching, my job started getting busy again, and right now I am not sure when I can take a week-long off next time.
I'm hoping to take some vacation during summer or autumn, but not sure.
So the whole plan has come to kind of a pended state,
but I have gained tons of useful information that I can use in the future, and I still definitely give one a try,
so thanks for all your help and see you again!

Nyanko
Old February 8, 2012, 11:14 PM   #29
dec41971

You can shoot someone else's gun the range etc, as long as you are legally in the US. I know I have taken foreign friends to the Police Range in VA. Transfer refers to buying. You being a tourist may not buy a gun. You can take classes if you want thats fine, as long as the trainer is ok with it. You may go to any range and rent there as long as the range is willing to rent it to you. If you visit NY or DC, NY is tough. There are ranges in NJ, but most are hard to get to unless you have a friend with car to drive you around. If you visit DC however, there are plenty of places in VA and most will be familiar with the tourist\foreign issue, since a lot of foreign nationals live and work in the area.
Old February 9, 2012, 05:36 PM   #30
Skans

Quote:
You can shoot someone else's gun the range etc, as long as you are legally in the US. I know I have taken foreign friends to the Police Range in VA.
I know I wouldn't have any problem letting someone from Japan shoot my guns at a range with supervision. My experience is that people from Japan tend to be very respectful and follow directions - two traits that make it easy to teach someone how to properly use a firearm. Personally, I'd love to see tourists from other countries come here to indulge themselves in learning to shoot various firearms. Drop the kids off at Disney World and off to the shooting range!
Old February 12, 2012, 07:37 AM   #31
thump_rrr

I'm a Canadian who was also looking at taking a course in the USA.
Searching on a Canadian website brought up the actual problem.

The US Government, particularly the US Department of State views training of non US citizens as an export.
This is under ITAR regulations so the person training the foreign national can face the same penalties for training as for providing you with the actual arms.

What you will need to do is to fill out form DSP-83 and attatch to that an export permit provided by the Japanese senior firearms export control officer in your Department of Foreign Affairs For International Trade.

The cost is $250 for the application and it is non refundable if you are declined.
I don't know how your minister will react when you request such an export permit since I'm sure that you'll be one of very few people who have made such a request.
Don't be surprised if your version of the secret service starts to have a closer look at you and possibly your political affiliations.

Last edited by thump_rrr; February 12, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old February 13, 2012, 12:21 AM   #32
Hook686

So all foreign students going to college in the US have to apply under ITAR and fill out form DSP-83 in order to go to college ? Perhaps getting firearm education might be a better approach.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 13, 2012, 01:13 AM   #33
TexasJustice7

Quote:
Hooks686: So all foreign students going to college in the US have to apply under ITAR and fill out form DSP-83 in order to go to college ? Perhaps getting firearm education might be a better approach.
I wonder if this is true for Texas, since Texas offers in state tuition rates for non-citisens. Maybe he could check to see if the universities in Texas offer any courses in firearms training, or get them to mail him a booklet of the courses offered.
Old February 13, 2012, 03:52 AM   #34
Hook686

hmmmm perhaps you have an idea there. However I was thinking more like one could get a sound education on the use and safety of firearms from kraigwy. You might check Texas out and report back

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 13, 2012, 06:04 PM   #35
dev_null

Quote:
Texas offers in state tuition rates for non-citisens
You still have to establish residency by living here a year, or else get a waiver (usually reserved for students who are employed by the university, e.g., TA's).
Old February 13, 2012, 10:30 PM   #36
Bubba in c.a.

post 911

aren`t we all feeling safer now that Swiss army knives are confiscated by the ZILLIONS at airports and friendly law obiding people from friendly countries can`t get training?

I have heard of the ITAR stuff on other sites. If nothing else, it will confuse gun-school owners. If I ever want to get my non-resident wife trained in firearms, I`ll do it myself or go to some third country and do it!
Old February 15, 2012, 12:54 PM   #37
hsingyu

You can join the army if you want to learn how to use a gun, that is what I used to do, you can also ask someone that has been in the military or police to train you, but you need to have a good social network. You can also go to the philippines or Cambodia where civilians can enroll in combat courses.
Old February 15, 2012, 12:56 PM   #38
hsingyu

Going to US is costly and non-efficient, Cambodia is where you want to be if you are from Asia. Money can buy anything.