The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1

She got Shwacked...graphic images.

Well, let me start this story by saying that I am not bragging about this typical 1 1/2 old Michigan doe at all. Truth be told, I normally would have passed on this little lady and saved the doe killing for later on in the season. However, I just changed my set up on my crossbow and wanted to do some product testing. I switched from standard carbon bolts to lighted as well as switching from Muzzy 125 gr fixed blades to Shwackers 125 gr. mechanicals. I shot her at 9:06 am yesterday morning. I could clearly see the lighted nock as it entered her broadside from 30 yards away. Also, I watched as the bolt exited at a slightly different angle and carried an additional 30 yards. More important, I could see it, light blazing, as it came to rest on the forest floor 60 yards from my blind. As for the doe, she went about 40 yards, stopped, flicked her tail, and fell over dead in under 10 seconds. In short...........I likey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img801.jpg (120.4 KB, 184 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2
shortwave

Congrats on a fine eating doe.

Awesome blood loss. Speaks well of the Shwackers.

Some years back, a shoulder injury caused me to switch from a compound shooting fixed blade broadheads to a crossbow. I still stuck with fixed blade broadheads due to the bad propaganda I'd always heard about mechanicals. Such as, they don't open or the opening of the blades takes to much energy away you don't get sufficient penetration.

Switched to 'Redhead Gator' mechanicals the 2nd. year of using the crossbow and never looked back. They fly and hit POA exactly like field tips. Judging by the huge wound channels, have never failed to open and if I do my shot placement part, always have pass through.

Looks as though the Shwackers do a great job as well.

Looks like there's two styles of mechanicals out there that work as claimed, eh.
Old October 9, 2012, 05:23 PM   #3
sc outdoorsman

I killed a small buck this past Friday with a 125 grain Rage from my crossbow that looked the same. I shot him at 25 yards and watched him tip over about 50 yards traveled. It looked like someone hit him with an ax. Impressive to say the least.