The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Kennold

Mossberg 500

In your personal opinions, what is the best Mossberg 500 with an 18 1/2" barrel that I can buy for the money, and also for the quality.
I was at my local gun shop today and I was looking at the different versions of them and some of them looked and felt somewhat cheap, especially the 500 tacticals with the telescoping stocks.

Would it be a bad idea to get a standard 500 and just buy a short barrel for it?
Also is there anything to those heat guards on some of them or are they just for looks?
Old January 26, 2010, 11:55 PM   #2
the rifleer

The basic mossberg 500 is the same no matter which you buy, its just some have different stocks and barrels. So no matter what, you can always change it later.

I bought mine with 26'' vent-rib barrel and a 18.5'' barrel. I didn't really want the short barrel, but it came with is as it was a combo.

I would buy the basic model. if you have a big 5 in your area, check it out. They sell the combos at a pretty good price.
Old January 26, 2010, 11:58 PM   #3
croc4

I picked up the 500 combo deal Big5 had during the holidays, 18 and a 28?in barrels for 250.00. I'm not a shot gun guy, so I'm not the best judge, but for the price, I'm pleased with it. The heat shield is mainly for looks, I picked one up after market and installed it, should scare the zombies ;-).

Gone out shooting clays once so far and enjoyed it, will the 500 be worth handing down, nah, but for the price I don't think you can go wrong. Now if your going to shoot it a lot and are used to higher end rifles, then maybe its not for you, but if your looking for the "honda pickup" of shotguns the 500 is it.

My 2C

Croc4
Old January 27, 2010, 12:08 AM   #4
Kennold

$250? This holiday season? Wow. That's a dang good price. Actually it's funny you mentioned the zombies, seeing as this shotgun is supposed to be used as a post-apocalyptic weapon.
Have any problems with it yet?
Also, I would like to get a pistol grip but I dont want the two-peice thing that mossberg is putting out. Does anyone know if I would be able to buy and fit a single-peice stock/pistol grip to one of these?
Old January 27, 2010, 12:54 AM   #5
the rifleer

i got mine in 20 gauge for $219+tax. it was marked at like $289 or something, but when they rang it up at the register it was $219.99. I didn't complain...

its an utterly dependable shotgun and is fantastic. it isn't the sportiest thing on the block, but it truly does work well.
Old January 27, 2010, 01:15 AM   #6
riggins_83

I've owned a Mossberg 500 Persuader for 10 years and a 500 bird and field for a year. Both have been flawless. I really like the tang safety and the release being behind the trigger guard instead of in front like the Remington 870.
Old January 27, 2010, 01:46 AM   #7
Jixer

I got the Mossberg 500 combo with 18.5" and 28" barrels at Big 5 last year for around $250-ish. My friend just bought his this month at Big 5 for $279-ish. Same combo.

I shoot trap with mine, even though I replaced the factory buttstock with a Speedfeed III buttstock with pistol grip. To me, it's a blast to shoot.

I recently sold my Benelli Supernova Tactical with the SteadyGrip pistol grip on it. Do I regret selling it and keeping the Mossberg? No way!

I bought another Mossberg 28" barrel that came with chokes (the combo 28" barrel is a fixed modifield barrel - meaning, no chokes) for $60 from another forum member. If I wanted to buy another Benelli barrel, it would have cost me over $300+ just for the barrel!!! With that amount of money, I could buy me another Mossberg 500 combo as a backup.

Now everyone has their own opinions, and you'll never see a shortage of people bashing the Mossberg. To each their own.

For the price, I firmly believe the Mossberg is the most bang for your buck.

BTW, if you do end up buying from Big 5, check out the foreend of the Mossberg 500.

At least on mine, and the one my friend just got, from Big 5, the foreend is one piece. So, if you wanted to change out the synthetic foreend with something else (like a wood one, for example), you'll have to buy an action slide tube for your new foreend to attach to. Just something to think about if you're going to change the furniture on your Mossberg (at least the combo ones I've seen from Big 5).

Last edited by Jixer; January 27, 2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old January 27, 2010, 07:07 AM   #8
CajunBass

Just get a basic Mossberg combo with whatever barrels you want, and forget all the "tactical" geee-gaws.

I've got a Sears/Mossberg 500 that I got about 30-35 years ago. It's run like a watch since day one and has never missed a beat.

I paid $99.00 for mine with two barrels, but it was a long time ago.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 27, 2010, 11:13 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you want only a short barrel gun, buy a field gun with 28 inch barrel threaded for chokes from wally world or similar. It will cost under $250 usually.

Put the new barrel up for sale here on TFL or similar sales spot. Askin' $90 LN.

The 18 inch barrel is around a hundred direct from Mossberg.

If you plan to hunt, then select a combo specific to your needs.
Brent
Old January 27, 2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Uncle Ben

I got the Mossberg 500 combo with 18.5" and 28" barrels at Big 5 for $279 on sale recently. Not as cheap as some others here have got it for, but I am more than pleased for that price. The barrel combination makes for a VERY versitile gun, and it takes about 1 minute to change the barrel, so I'll leave the 18 1/2" on at home and for clays or bird hunting I'll put the 28" vent rib barrel.

A little tip to those that might be interested: I was looking into getting a mount and light for when my 500 is at home and it struck me that I might be able to use the metal clip that came with my combo that held the two barrels next to each other in the box (presumably so that cannot hit each other inside the box). Tried it last night and clipped half of the bracket to the front end of the magazine tube and clipped a small/metal 9 LED light inside the other end (the light is very close to the same diameter as the tube). Let me tell you, it works beautifully! It hold plenty tight on both the light and the tube and I find no reason to buy an accessory that will do the same thing.

It looks okay to me, but I'll admit not the greatest...but I'm genuinely interested in the function only, not making it look "tactical"
Old January 27, 2010, 01:25 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

UB, Was that combo 28 inch a threaded barrel? If so, that is a super good price. That means you paid 30-40 bucks for a second barrel... If it was the synthetic stocks and you want prettier wood, Havlin sales usually has them pretty cheap...
http://havlinsales.com/default.htm
Just call to make sure as their inventory is in and out pretty quick.
Brent
Old January 27, 2010, 02:02 PM   #12
bswiv

This will be somewhat of a outliier as far as advice goes but.........

Look for one with a 20-22 inch barrel with the interchangable chokes. Regarless of what anyone tells you, plenty of fun can be had at the range with it even though it is true that a longer barrel will swing better at clays.

Still, fact is you will not be doing serious competition with it just having fun, and sharpening your skills for the field.

And in the field the short barrel will work for most applications plenty well. Mine, a 20 inch version, has taken everything from ducks & pheasants to hogs. Is it PERFECT for ducks & pheasants, well no. But if you've practiced with it at the clays it will work fine.

And when you go to tote it through the thick stuff you will really appreciate the short barrel.

And when the turkey tube is in it works good then too.

Get a synthetic stock ( I can't believe I said that! ) and look for one that is already camo. And be sure to have sling swivels.

If you need a second barrel for anything it might be a rifled one for saboted slugs but for the rest of it the short one works.
Old January 27, 2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Uncle Ben

Hotdogs: the 28" vent rib barrel that came with mine does NOT accomdate screw-in chokes. It is not something that I thought to look for when I checked it in the store, but the truth is that I would still have bought this without hesitation, even without the ability to use screw-in chokes.

The barrel is marking as being a modified choke, so that should serve the purpose for my uses.
Old January 27, 2010, 11:52 PM   #14
croc4

So far I've not had any problems, but I've only run 100rnds through it so far. I also keep the 18" barrel installed at home as someone above mentioned. I also was thinking of going with a barrel that takes chokes, but after seeing the price and the combo setup, I was sold.

Croc4