The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 2, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Wreck-n-Crew

Customers step over murdered man in convenient store doorway!

In a video released during the trail and conviction of a man who shot and killed Jheryl Wright who collapsed and died front of a convenient store in Kalamazoo Michigan (actually blocking the door), several people are seen stepping over the dead mans body! http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1564163

The mother only found out after seeing the video at the trial. Is this a sign of the times? Even though many likely did not know what happened to him, They still didn't seem to care enough to check on him. Even the store clerk, continued to ring people up stopping between customers to take a look at the man.
Old January 2, 2014, 09:57 PM   #2
dakota.potts

I'm not sure what this has to do with firearms. I will say, however, that this is not a "sign of the times". It's a sign of human mentality dating back to a time long before us. At least, in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1502699

People justify it a lot of ways. They don't know if someone is coming back for more and they don't want to be a part of it. They don't know if the man is really dead and don't want to look like an idiot. They have dinner waiting at home and don't want to stand around for an hour giving statements to police. So people will sometimes choose to ignore it.

Another reason why I choose to rely on myself for help should I ever need it. Others may not be there to rely on, or they may find a thousand different reasons not to help you when you need it.

Also important is to try to break that cycle and be the person who does something if it's important to you. I don't own guns to save the world but if I were carrying and ran across a rape I'd like to think I'd check something out. I'd also like to think my general situational awareness that I've gained from practicing these skills would give me the state of mind to call the police on the dead or dying person laying in the doorway to get them help.
Old January 4, 2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Mike38

In my opinion, unfortunately, it is the sign of the times. A majority of people now are only concerned about themselves and others are secondary. (Not all people, but more then 50%) It’s the “what’s in it for me” mentality. If taking an action will benefit them, they will do it. If taking an action will not benefit them, they avoid it.

Not that many generations ago it could be said people’s priorities could be stated 1.God 2.Country 3.Family 4.Others 5.Self. I now believe #5 has moved to #2, maybe even #1.

Good, bad or otherwise, I do believe it’s the sign of the times.
Old January 4, 2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry but as disgusting as this might be, it's not a firearms topic. If the OP or someone else can come up with a SPECIFIC Legal or Civil Rights question for discussion, it can be reposted there. Even so, the reasons for the behavior of the shoppers would remain off-topic.
Closed Thread