The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 9, 2011, 06:29 PM   #1
thunderbird101

Which Deer Rifle Combo should I choose???

I am new to hunting, only went on a few hunts last year and never had a shot at a deer. However, I am greatly looking forward to Oct. 15th when deer season begins in NC! I have a dilemma however, & could use some help.

Currently I have an open sight Yugo SKS which I hunted with last year. Accuracy at a 100 yards or less is decent, but with an open sight and shaky hands I do not feel comfortable shooting a deer currently with it at that range. My 2 options are right now, get a scope for the SKS, or upgrade to a Mosin Nagant chambered in 7.62x54R.

I would LOVE an excuse to get a Mosin for the larger bullet size and increased accuarcy, esp. at longer ranges; however most I have seen do not come with scopes therefore I would have to put out the money for a scope & possibly the fee for a gunsmith to mount it. (Can I mount a scope myself or does a mount have to be drilled? I've heard both ways! )

Just buying a scope for the SKS would be cheaper, but again less accuracy and smaller bullet.

The BIGGEST deciding factor here is money. I am a starving college student and my price range AT MOST is about $300. (prefferrably a LOT less! )

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated!
Old October 9, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2
shootniron

This is just my opinion, but I would scope the SKS. I have one that is scoped and at 100yds...it is accurate, cheap and deadly.
Old October 9, 2011, 06:44 PM   #3
thunderbird101

From the little research I've had time to do so far on accessorizing the SKS w/ a scope, it appears I need to get a new reciever cover that is fitted for a scope (for roughly $20.00). Is there an easier/cheaper way?

I am next to clueless when it comes to scopes (I just got into hunting). Could you give me some specs that I should be looking for for a decent scope that would work w/ the SKS? Considering I probably won't be making a shot much past 100 yards w/ the SKS due to lack of accuracy past that distance I don't need something incredibly expensive for long distance shots. (do I?)
Old October 9, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Cowboy_mo

Scope the SKS if you want. I would also recommend getting or making a set of shooting sticks. There is a great video on Utube about making your own for about 10 bucks.

Then, practice using the sticks. Your shaky hands will all but disappear and with practice you can put the sticks "in play" in just a few seconds.

I am definitely NOT the steadiest off hand shooter but with shooting sticks it is almost like shooting off a bench rest. I started practicing with the sticks about 2 months before I went to South Africa last year. The sticks worked great for me over there and I pretty much use them for all rifle hunting (including squirrels) since returning from South Africa.