The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 2, 2008, 05:01 PM   #1
gobm667

new ar10 wont fire semi auto

hey i just bought my ar 10 brand new.. never been fired.. i put a quad rail and when i did that i messed with the gas block and gas tube.. now it wont chamber the second round i have to use the charging handle and put another round into it.. what did i do wrong? and how do i fix it.. i tried diffrent ammo everything.. i even took the rails of and tryed with the old forend and its still the same problem??? please help me!!!
matt
Old November 2, 2008, 06:06 PM   #2
rickdavis81

It sounds like the hole in the gas block and the hole in the barrel aren't lined up.
Old November 2, 2008, 06:58 PM   #3
gobm667

??

how do i line that up i moved it like 5 or 6 times then shot it again is there a trick or how do i know where is susposed to be?
Old November 2, 2008, 10:56 PM   #4
DnPRK

Is it an Armalite clamp-on gas block?
Old November 2, 2008, 11:17 PM   #5
gobm667

yes it is

yeah its an amralite with a clamp on gas block and i cant get it alined how do i do that? any suggestions im desperate
Old November 3, 2008, 12:34 PM   #6
10-96

Mark a line on the end of the sight block that is centered with the hole, and do the same on the bbl. The line on the bbl should be long to allow the block to move forwards and backwards. If you have a free-float tube without the regular metal end cap that would hold a normal set of handgrips on- expect to have to move the sight towards the noisy end 7/32". You can break out a dial caliper and take lots of measurements and get close. To find out if you're lined up without shooting, remove the bolt and carrier. Then, take a fired ctg and make at least three wraps on it with electrical tape and GENTLY insert it into the chamber just until it's snug and air-tight. Now blow into the muzzle and hold your finger over the pther end of the gas tube to feel if there's any air comming out.

Also, check to see if the gas tube rotated 180 degrees while being installed. This would cause the gas tube port to be facing up instead of down towards the hole in the sight block.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.