The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Valornor

Record Keeping

When you test your loads how much of a stickler are you about recording the weather, the altitude, and other external factors at the time you shot the batch?

I've only recently began to pay attention to those things. Before I'd record the velocity readings, and the performance down range, and time and place. However as I've started to read more about ELR shooting I've started paying more attention to the weather in terms of humidity, temperature, prevailing winds, and overall weather.

Has anyone noticed patterns with their ammo and performance under different weather conditions? I've read articles about it where they did show increase in velocities and such in warmer temperatures but I'm not sure if I've seen a whole lot about humidity.

Any way I was just curious. Prior to this I've just been trying to practice reading and understanding the effects of wind on trajectory.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I always set up my chronograph (for pistol) at the same range, and at the same distance (4yds). I do record the weather if it's noteworthy - wind, cold, heat, etc. Usually, I won't chronograph if the weather - especially wind - is extreme.

I don't know how much difference such factors make. Wind would be my primary concern.

Temperature - in my case - probably doesn't matter much because my guns/bullets are in the house before I pack them for the range. The range is close by, so I doubt their temperature changes much by the time I start shooting.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:45 PM   #3
4runnerman

I keep track of just wind and temp. I only shoot one certain load out of each of my rifles,so it is very easy to keep track.

Got a tip from Bart here about a month ago for my last match of the year. Took his tip and shot the best I have all year.... Thanks Bart
Old November 2, 2013, 11:35 PM   #4
Reloader2

Record Keeping

As I long ago realized I'm not ever going to be a great shot, I don't think the weather has much effect on my ammo's performance at 100 yards as far as effecting its potential use as a hunting load. I do have one line on my targets to record weather but it is just more of a habit for me. The one thing that gives me trouble at my range is the sun can cause trouble seeing at certain times of the day. A cloudy day is no problem.
Old November 2, 2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Most ranges face north(ish) so the sun is usually to your back to some degree. Does your range face south by chance? I could see how that would be troubling - especially in the winter months when the sun is low in the sky.
Old November 3, 2013, 12:42 AM   #6
jason75979

Re: Record Keeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerman View Post
I keep track of just wind and temp. I only shoot one certain load out of each of my rifles,so it is very easy to keep track.

Got a tip from Bart here about a month ago for my last match of the year. Took his tip and shot the best I have all year.... Thanks Bart
Well, either you or Bart give it up! Tip please!
Old November 3, 2013, 01:11 AM   #7
Sierra280

RECORD EVERYTHING!! There are spaces in the shooting charts I use for all the data parameters you mentioned, plus more. It's the book in my signature (shameless plug).

Recording all that info makes it easy to understand why you have a bad group. It makes it as simple as looking at data charts and finding what's different. Obviously the two biggest factors (by far) are wind and range. But by recording everything you can see the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences environmental variables can cause.

And if nothing else, it gives you more excuses for those bad shots
Old November 3, 2013, 08:02 AM   #8
4runnerman

Not a biggy Jason. My normal load was always shot in 65 to 80 for temp. Fall being here. My last Match was going to be in around 40 for temps. Bart said drop in 1/10 to 2/10ths more powder. Most you guys probebly knew that already. 18 out of 20 in 10 ring and 12 of those 18 in X ring.