The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2006, 11:03 AM   #1
OldBill

Returning to my old Hobby:

I am returning to reloading after many years absance.
Since retiring I have decided to get back into shooting.
I used to shoot a 222 rem and reloaded for it, using a Lee loader and weighing all my charges. Since I am thinking of using a K Hornet and neck sizing the cases that I fireform for the one rifle, what reloading die will I need? I am sure the old Lee in 22 hornet will not let me neck size due to the different case width and new shoulder. What are some of you current shooters doing?
Thanks
OldBill
NRA life member
Old October 1, 2006, 11:44 PM   #2
hivel37

You might try a 22H Lee collet die for the K Hornet. I don't know if it would have clearance or not, but it works great in the stock Hornet. Just about eliminates case trimming.
Old October 2, 2006, 02:28 PM   #3
OldBill

Thanks for the reply Hivel37,
I have found out from someone on another forum that Lee will make you a custom die set for 50 bucks, all you have to do is send the 4 fired cases from the rifle you are needing the die for and they will make you one up. So I am thinking of doing that
again Thanks for the reply
Bill...
Old October 2, 2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The custom approach may be the best, but having had Lee make custom bullet molds for me, I'll advise you that it may take a few months. They have to put your order in queue for the tooling to become available, which has to wait until small jobs won't interfere with regular production. This isn't unreasonable. It's the only way they can do custom so inexpensively, but you need to be aware of it.

Redding's #81362 is a conventional neck sizing die set for your chambering. $50 also for the full set, but may be available a little more quickly if you aren't specifically after the Lee collet die.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 2, 2006, 11:27 PM   #5
OldBill

Thanks for the reply Nick
I was concerned that the normal neck sizing die would not work for the K Hornet due to the change from the normal taper case to the blown out case with new sholder on the brass. I am thinking that the case would not go up into the die far enough to neck size.
The rifle is at the gunsmith now being worked on, so after it comes back, I guess I can start fire forming a bunch of brass while i wait on my dies to be made.
Bill..