The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 1999, 09:50 PM   #1
Oatka

I read this some time back: One shooter of paper-patched bullets tried using the stickum type labels used to generate mailing labels as a patching medium. Claimed excellent results.

Since the patch is supposed to come off at the muzzle, what happens when they are "glued" on? I would think that they might come off sometimes and cause inaccuracies.

They sure roll on nice and neat, but I haven't had a chance to shoot mine.

Anybody else try this yet?
Old October 24, 1999, 01:33 AM   #2
Cheapo

Not something I've tried, but I suspect the paper might be too soft, and too thick. I don't like the idea of having that gummy stuff sliding down my barrel under even the thicker piece of paper.

But who knows, it might work!

So the paper patches come off? Never knew that.
Old October 24, 1999, 02:00 AM   #3
BOGE

Paper patches are cut by the rifling which is why you need to roll the trapezoidal patch in the same direction as the rifling. Supposedly in the old days the rifling did not cut the patches but they came off after departing the muzzle.
Old October 26, 1999, 02:47 PM   #4
Little-e

What are you guys talking about? I've never heard about "paper-patched" bullets. Is this like a sabot?
Old October 27, 1999, 07:06 PM   #5
Oatka

Little-e: Pretty close. Back in the blackpowder days, some shooters used a smooth, undersized bullet, hand-wrapped in bond paper to bring it up to groove diameter. Supposed to be more accurate. Mostly in calibers 38-55 on up, although the old Lyman books show bullets as small as .25. They must have had more patience than me, as the 38s drive me nuts with my big fingers.

A pain to make up, but it's fun to rediscover lost arts. Beside, the loaded rounds look COOL! [g]
Old October 27, 1999, 10:59 PM   #6
TLH

Where do you find the right paper to use for the patches ??? I'm interested in playing with these bullets but not sure how to get started. Is anyone selling them commercially for cowboy shooting ???
Old October 28, 1999, 02:02 AM   #7
BOGE

Go to your local paper supplier & ask for 100% cotton bond paper or (cheaper) use Mead's Eraseable Bond. But here's the BIG catch: you need paper of the CORRECT thickness. You can either "mike" the paper or wrap the bullet with a "test wrap" just about 1/8 in. shy of two full wraps and "mike" this. For example, paper 0.00275 in. thick will increase your bullet diameter 0.011 with two wraps. Remember, the bore has TWO sides! Another example: say your Sharps bore (not groove) diameter is .451, theoretically you need a bare bullet of .440 with paper 0.00275 to bring said bullet up to bore diameter, which is what the old Sharps bullets were patched to. This was to stave off wiping after every shot as well as to seat the huge bullets almost out of the case to make room for lots of powder. A trick is to size your PPBs to a known diameter that will work with a given paper. Or you can scour the western hemisphere looking for a correct thickness of paper. Trust me, sizing is easier.