The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 26, 2009, 05:59 PM   #1
JamesRJr

Information re: My Daddy's 2 Colt Commemoratives

Greetings All,

Below are pictures and descriptions of two Commemorative Colt pistols of my father’s, that have been passed down to me.

I’ve been told that each of these was produced in an issue of 1,000 (1,004?).
And I know that they are real purdy.

But beyond that, I can’t say that I know much about them.

I am hoping that, with all the knowledgeable folks on The Firing Line here, y’all can tell me everything there is to know about these.

What they are worth would, of course, be of interest to me.
But, beyond that, I’m sure that there must be all sorts of information, opinion, etc. that would be of interest to me.
Actually, I’ve got a lot of “scholar” in me, so I would find just about ANYthing to be of interest!

I’ve got more, close up, etc. pictures if anybody's interested, or if it would be helpful, but the one of each, below, pretty much shows what they are.

The first one here is Gold Plated (if you can’t tell; it’s so hard to get shiney metal to photograph its true appearance).
On the left side of the barrel it has:

1860-61 Russell Majors and Waddell
Pony Express Centennial Model 1960-61

And on the right side of the barrel:

Colt Single Action Frontier Scout 22LR

The second one is Nickel Plated.
On the left side of the barrel it says:

Russell , Majors and Waddell
Pony Express Presentation Model

On the right side of the barrell it says:

Colt .45 Peacemaker

The two extra cylinders are each engraved with a different legend.

I’ll be much obliged for any information, opinions (!), etc. anyone can provide.

James
Old February 26, 2009, 08:05 PM   #2
PetahW

Colt had made commemorative versions of some of their pistols from 1961 through 1991, with up to as many as 5-6 different ones in some years.

There were approx. 1,007 Pony Express Centennial Sount revolvers made in 1961 @ $75.00.

There were approx. 1,004 Pony Express Presentation SAA .45's made in 1964 @ $250.00

RUSSELL, MAJORS AND WADDELL were the founders of the Pony Express

In addittion, they were:
Pioneer freighters of Lexington (MO) before the Civil War,
Outfitters for the Mexico and California Traders,
And the Western Army Posts,
Operators of Overland Wagon Trains across the Great Plains.

They employed four thousand men and thirty five hundred wagons, one thousand mules and forty thousand oxen.
Headquarters were in Lexington.

Even though the Pony Express never ran from Lexington, it did begin there.
Those three men ran a very successful freighting business from Lexington, MO., and it was in their offices there, that the Pony Express was conceived, planned and launched.

The Pony Express was a fast mail service crossing the North American continent from St. Joseph, Missouri, to Sacramento, California, from April 1860 to October 1861. (From 1866 until 1990, the Pony Express logo was used in security business.)

Wells Fargo used the Pony Express logo for its guard and armored car service.
The logo continued to be used when other companies took over the security business into the 1990s.
Effective 2001, the Pony Express logo was no longer used for security businesses, since the business has been sold.

In June 2006, the United States Postal Service announced it had trademarked "Pony Express" along with "Air Mail".

I would not venture to put a current value on the pair, except to say that plain-vanilla examples in like condition would have a total value of at least between $2.5K-$3K (IMHO).

Old February 27, 2009, 01:59 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Assuming new condition and in the cases, the Scout brings around $500-600, the SAA about $1500-2000. The sad fact is that with some exceptions, those commemorative revolvers don't bring the kind of money that low production would indicate. One reason is that Colt put out commemoratives of about everything until the words "Colt Commemorative" lost all meaning and brought only yawns.

Jim
Old February 28, 2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Tom2

I would venture to guess that the asking prices at gunshows around here would be higher but that is probably a fishin price for them. There may be a blue book value for them but a seller is gonna want to squeeze every nickel out of them so I would insure them for more than the estimated 2000-2500 for the pair. That is for replacement value, not wholesale.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:15 AM   #5
JamesRJr

Thanks Pete, Jim and Tom for your comments.

Thought I'd show you something I just discovered.

The two pistols have matching serial numbers.

My Daddy always subscribed to American Rifleman.

I'm wondering if Colt ran an ad in the magazine showing the two commemorative revolvers. And you could order one. Or you could order the other. Or you could order both. And as an incentive to get the both of them they would send you a pair with matched SNs.

Just speculating. I certainly don't know. But maybe something like that.
Regardless, it was a cool thing for me to just discover (had not noticed that before).

James
Old March 1, 2009, 02:05 PM   #6
PetahW

(clue): Never, EVER, either separate them, or fail to introduce that fact into ANY discussion of them - as matching serial numbers can be a 2x value multiplier.
Old March 2, 2009, 03:42 AM   #7
JamesRJr

(clue): Never, EVER, either separate them, or fail to introduce that fact into ANY discussion of them
- as matching serial numbers can be a 2x value multiplier.

_ ______________________________________________________ _

Yow! Roger that! Message received and understood!

Thanks, Pete, for your interest in my post, in general, and this comment in particular!

James

Old June 9, 2010, 11:03 PM   #8
marlinnhag

I have one too.. Sorta...

I have one of these sets also. Only thing is the one thing of value here was stolen back in the late 60s early 70s.

I have the SAA .45 one. Just the gun was stolen i still have the cylynders and the commerative coins that it came with. And all the paper work that it came with.

The cylinders have matching serial numbers the the missing gun PE431E

the medals were made by the US mint. And this was actually issued by The Pony Express History and Art Gallery in San Rafael. Waddell's son open this museum and got deal going with Colt to make these. these came with some interesting paperwork and matching numbered coins.

I found an add online here : http://www.cbgxtra.com/Portals/6/Iss..._031105_46.htm

That lists on at $1800+ but i don't know how old the add is and I believe that includes the pony express books too.

I'd kill to find my matching # Colt
Old July 3, 2010, 07:40 AM   #9
kitcarbob

Colt Pony Express pair-I have #295

Hi:

I have a pair of Pony Express-both in one case,both # 295,
with matching serial # Bible,hard cover book,etc.& both of the engraved spare cylinders.and I have the medal also.but I dont think my box is original,even though it is a fitted see
through plexi glass top-wood case.might list them soon on
Guns America & Guns International,& see what happens.will
try for $2500. for the pair.

thanks

Bob Simpson [email protected]
Old September 23, 2011, 05:01 PM   #10
gaston728

legal question

If someone owns a commemorative gun like this do they need a gun permit in Massachusetts.?
Old September 23, 2011, 07:26 PM   #11
gyvel

Quote:
If someone owns a commemorative gun like this do they need a gun permit in Massachusetts.?
Commemorative or not, it's still a handgun in the eyes of the law.