The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2007, 03:23 AM   #1
Roach300

Confused about the 300 WM

I just purchased a box of 168 HPBT Match Kings from Sierra to use in my 300, now from what I have been reading, Im confused, see where I hunt, Ill be lucky to shoot more than 150 yards. Now I heard stories on how 150 to 180 Core lokt rounds pass threw white tail and do minimal damage, so I wanted a hollow point, thinking that it would litterally explode inside the body. It would make a mess but thats exceptable. Is this a mistake to reload these bullets for hunting? I live in Pa, so there is no big field shots. But descent killing range. Another ? I have is Im going to be hunting in Kansas, what would a good bullet be for out there, were talking 4 to 500 yard shots. Some one help me before I wound a white tail.
Thank you.
Old October 14, 2007, 04:01 AM   #2
Red_Eagle

The boat tail hallow points you selected will definitely wound game. Those are match bullets, not hunting bullets. Sounds like the pass throughs your friends were getting was because the were using elk bullets instead of deer bullets. If you loaded some Sierra 165 gr game kings or Hornady 165gr SST's to about 3,000 f/ps you'd be fine for your east coast hunting. For your trip out west you could load to just under max, and if you realistically believe your really going to have to make a 500 yrd, you might even think about switching to a 180 gr load.
Old October 14, 2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Roach300

Thanks for the advice.
Old October 15, 2007, 04:13 PM   #4
castnblast

I had real good luck w/ hornady & Sierra GK's in 165 btsp's. The 150's tended to blow up. I would not use the SST's. You'll get some pretty serious splatter fest at those velocities. My powder of choice was RL22, and H4831.
Old October 15, 2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Ry-guy

I live in Saskatchewan in Canada and it is a huge place for deer hunting. Quite a few guys around here use the Nosler Ballistic Tip for deer hunting. I do the same and have great expansion from 40 yards to 325. My favorite hunting bullet.
Old October 15, 2007, 09:13 PM   #6
crowbeaner

You definitely want a softpoint, not a hollowpoint match bullet. Try the Hornady 165 gr. BTSP with 67.0 of WW 760, or Hornady's factory ammo. You'll be good to go for any deer anywhere. I miss my 300 and the BOOOM. CB.
Old October 15, 2007, 09:32 PM   #7
ZeroJunk

The Sierra Game Kings are soft and do a good job on deer.The ballistic tip type should work well also.For Elk size animals Nosler Partitions or Barnes X bullets would be better.It may take a little work to find a reduced load that shoots well.Some of the 3000 FPS 150 grain loads I tried were pretty sloppy
Old October 16, 2007, 01:10 PM   #8
nra_guns_winner

I'm born and rasied about 80 miles south west of Kansas city and I've hunter all over several 200 acre farms of friends and family. I've never had to take a white tail at more than 130 yds. Now I've only shot eight or nine but where I grew up they were all over. The long distance shots were not nessary. Of course go ahead and pratice a few just in case. Just be able to make the first shot count.
Old October 16, 2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Roach300

I appriciate all the tips and advice you guys have given me, I have decided to go with a 168 Game King at 69.5 of IMR 4350, I just got back from the range and was getting nickle size 3 shoot groups at 100 yds, now I also loaded up some Nosler Silver Ballistic tip in 168, with the same powder, It hits like not even an 8th of an inch low, but still nickle size with a slight drifter to the 5 o'clock position. Now I must go rest my shoulder, thanks alot guys.
Happy hunting.