The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 10, 2006, 03:26 PM   #1
jcoiii

Newbie question on cowboy shooting guns

My dad and I are thinking of getting into CAS, particularly in the mounted shooting events (eventually). From what I read, that event in particular is black powder. Now I don't like the look of the BP revolvers. I prefer the cartridge revolvers. (I am just now even looking at revolvers as I am usually an auto fan.) Are there conversion kits to make a cartridge revolver into a BP?

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old January 10, 2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Old Dragoon

Cartridge revolvers are used in Mounted Shooting, maybe cartridges loaded with BP. I do know that the Mounted shooting is done with blanks or wax bullets that just travel a few feet.
Old January 10, 2006, 04:02 PM   #3
John Krzos

Cas

Howdy,

I'm not sure of your question. BP can be shot from cartridges, and I'm not to familiar with mounted CAS. I can bearly shoot CAS, without getting on a horse, but that's me. Anyway, go to www.sassnet.com and get on the wire. There are a number of people that can help you. You can also download the sass rule books for regular and mounted shooting. Ask the questions there, and you receive the most up-to-date info from the people who do it. I shoot regular CAS and have been at it for 6 years-loved every moment of it. It's great fun, with great people. Good luck with your quest in CAS Mounted.

John Krzos
Alias Mick McCrady SASS# 30504
Old January 10, 2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Jim Watson

1. You don't HAVE to CAS with black powder.
2. If you want to CAS with black powder, it works fine in cartridges.
3. SASS Mounted is shot EXCLUSIVELY with .45 (Long) Colt revolvers, with blanks furnished by the range. They put out enough fire to pop the baloons used for targets at ride-by ranges of 8-10 feet.

Therefore, I recommend you get .45 Colt sixguns to start with, you can use them in regular live-fire CAS and Mounted.

Lots more information on the Wire and other boards
http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showforum=22
Old January 10, 2006, 05:20 PM   #5
jcoiii

Quote:
Cartridge revolvers are used in Mounted Shooting, maybe cartridges loaded with BP. I do know that the Mounted shooting is done with blanks or wax bullets that just travel a few feet.
How would a cartridge revolver shoot black powder ammunition? Just a technical question because I am entirely ignorant.

Thanks to all for the quick answers too. I'm really excited about this possible hobby

Old January 10, 2006, 05:34 PM   #6
jcoiii

http://www.cowboymountedshooting.com/faq.htm

found this from the sass main page. Perhaps it will help others too.

Old January 10, 2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Jim Watson

"How would a cartridge revolver shoot black powder ammunition? Just a technical question because I am entirely ignorant."

The same way it shoots smokeless powder ammunition. The only differences are that the cartridge is loaded with black powder instead of smokeless and the bullet is lubricated with a lube made to keep the black powder fouling soft so you can shoot a reasonable number of shots before cleaning.
Old January 10, 2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Big Cabin

As a follow up to Jim, the 45 Colt, 44-40, 44 S&W, 44 Russian, 44 Remington and others were black powder cartridges originally as were many rifle rounds from the 1860's on.
Old January 10, 2006, 09:05 PM   #9
Jim Watson

True, there were a lot of black powder cartridges in Century XIX, some of which you can still get, loaded with smokeless, or handload with black. I shoot .38-55 BPCR myself, and load nitro in .44 WCF, .44 Russian, .38 S&W, and .38-44 Target. And .38 Special which came out in black powder, too, for that matter.

But SASS Mounted uses .45 Colt ONLY. So they can keep track of the shells and be sure there are blanks and nothing but blanks on the field.