The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 25, 2015, 11:22 PM   #26
Machineguntony

As others have stated, there is no sniping on GB. As a bidder who is really good at sniping, I love sniping on internet auctions. The GB 15 minute rule really benefits the seller and GB, as it increases the sales price, thereby increasing the potential total paid to GB.

Outside of the 15 minute rule, GB is the best place to buy a gun, as long as you stick with sellers who have a credible and voluminous selling history. If you know what you are doing, and you have a good rating as a credible buyer, you can strike all sorts of deals with the seller that will benefit both parties.
Old January 26, 2015, 07:38 AM   #27
peggysue

I find most of the people I buy from are FFL Gun stores in different areas of the country. never had an issue. I have bought a lot. But like any auction buy one has to know what they are doing.
Ebay over 1ioo positive and GB over 70. So learn how to buy.

Last edited by peggysue; January 26, 2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old January 26, 2015, 08:20 AM   #28
noelf2

IMHO, Ebay should do what gunbroker does, and end sniping for good.
Old January 26, 2015, 10:16 AM   #29
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman
Remember, you can only be sniped if somebody is willing to pay more than you. You do not have a right to see their bid first and then make up your mind to bid more.
Yeah, there's really no such thing as sniping. If you put your TRUE maximum bid in there then you weren't sniped, it was just somebody willing to pay more. If you're willing to pay more, why not just put that amount as your max bid to begin with?

That way, if it goes higher than your max bid, that's fine. You didn't want to pay that much anyway... the other person wanted it more and was willing to back it with the checkbook.
Old January 26, 2015, 11:02 AM   #30
noelf2

Both ebay and gunbroker are susceptible to shill bidding though. I think I experienced that a few weeks ago on ebay. I bid on an H&R shotgun stock at $15, with a max bid of $22.25 (mine was the first bid). Near the end of the auction, someone bid up to $22.75. As techno said, no problem, I wasn't willing to pay more. About an hour after the auction, the seller told ebay that the winner finked out and then the stock was offered to me for my price of $22.25 for one day only. I didn't bite. I waited for it to be listed on ebay again at $15, and set a max price of $17.25. Auction went for 6 more days and I ended up getting the stock for $15, no other bidders. Seller waited 5 days to ship it, and didn't respond to any of my emails. I think I ticked him/her off.
Old January 27, 2015, 01:28 AM   #31
RodTheWrench

Shill bidding is most definitely a problem on eBay and GunBroker. I know eBay does track and try to eliminate shills, but I don't know about GB.
Old January 28, 2015, 10:42 AM   #32
jasmith85

I have actually used gunbroker's 15 minute rule to get out of buying a gun that I changed my mind on before. As long as this hasn't changed in the last 6 or so months, the current winning bidder upping their max bid will reset the auction to 15 minutes as well. I was winning an M&P 40 for $360 if I remember correctly and at about a minute to go I upped my max to $365 to reset the time. In that 15 minutes someone else noticed the auction and it ended with that person winning it at $370.

A few good deals that I have won on there were:

New Smith & Wesson M&P 40c for $314 before shipping
New Kahr CW40 for $226 before shipping
New Sig Sauer p224 SAS for $457 before shipping
New Springfield XD40 for $305 before shipping

I also just won a Taurus pt738 TCP for $123 before shipping. It'll be my first time dealing with a Taurus, but I couldn't pass up the price especially since its the upgraded version with a blackened stainless slide and two magazines.