The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 27, 2012, 12:21 PM   #51
Pianoguy

Two good 9mm semi-autos - they'll do the job and be economical to shoot alot for practice / one for EDC and one for a reserve in case the other one breaks or is unavailable for whatever reason - and a 642 for a back-up or to have something when a larger gun simple isn't going to work.

I wish I could have just stuck to having what I need - I'd be much wealthier. Like so many others I have a lot of extra guns that I don't need but certainly still want - and I plan everyday to add to them.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:36 PM   #52
theGuardian

What do you need?

A hand gun in every room in your house, including basement & garage.
One in each vehicle, excluding ATV's and Motorcycles.
One at each outside exit of your house.
One to CC both summer & winter.
One each, for every legal aged person in your family.

Beyond that, you're just paranoid.
Old September 27, 2012, 05:56 PM   #53
Archie

Need? Let me see...

The complete pistolero requires:

A reliable, centerfire pistol or revolver of adequate caliber suited for concealed defensive purposes.

Good quality, match grade .22 lr autopistol, 'Centerfire', .45 ACP and 'Service Pistol' (Government Model .45 ACP or Beretta M9 9x19 autopistol) for NRA Bullseye matches. (These may overlap to some degree.)

Reliable handguns in .22 lr, 'minor' (.38 Special or 9x19 NATO) and 'major' (.40 S&W or above) calibers for Bowling Pin matches.

A .22 lr pistol or revolver for general plinking or hiking use.

A .357 or .44 Magnum 'belt gun' size revolver as back up while hunting with rifle, shotgun or bow (if allowed, of course).

A .357 or .44 Magnum six inch revolver (SA or DA) as a primary hunting firearm. (If allowed, of course.)

A 'suitable' formal wear firearm; sometimes referred to as a 'Barbeque' or 'Sunday go to meeting' gun. Must have decorative yet useful grips and preferably engraved and well finished. Nickel is common, but a proper charcoal blue is allowed. Silver or Gold is allowed, but one should avoid being ostentatious or gauche.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 29, 2012, 09:57 AM   #54
highpower3006

I'm not really sure what I need, so I just keep acquiring more until I figure it out. So far I am up to 15 handguns and a dozen or so rifles.

Old September 29, 2012, 11:38 AM   #55
L_Killkenny

For a guy with a carry permit the answer is 1, for the non-permit holder the answer is zero.

Need is a far cry from want.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:17 PM   #56
fullsize only

I believe you need at 3 pistols/revolvers for ccw, two small revolvers for BUG, and revolver big enough to drop a bear. My logic for multiple ccw's/BUGs is that if you use one, law enforcement will take it. You may or may not get it back right away or at all. And the bear gun? If it will drop a bear its friggin' cool! Oh yeah, and a varmint/plinker pistol like MARKIII or buck mark.

Last edited by fullsize only; October 2, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old October 3, 2012, 03:30 PM   #57
kdrf636

My answer is four as well. One carried in a shoulder rig, one carried cross draw, one carried strong side and a hideout snubby carried appendix or ankle. All same caliber to use same ammo.
Old October 3, 2012, 03:36 PM   #58
Tactical Jackalope

I'm never going to stop buying. I've owned more than 25+ I own 16 or something...lol Still getting more. Can't stop me!
Old October 7, 2012, 04:48 PM   #59
fullsize only

One for carry, one as a BUG, one for HD, and one to replace the other if you have to one, because it will more than likely be confiscated.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:24 PM   #60
Pointshoot

It all depends on your lifestyle, where you live and go, and what you like to do. Like to hunt big game with a handgun ? Like to spend time outdoors in grizzly country at times ? Or maybe on a river fishing up in Alaska ? There are handguns that it would be nice to carry for those situations. Spend lots of time in a big city ? Need a defensive firearm 'just in case' but must go as light, compact, and discrete as possible ? There are handguns that fill these needs too. Just want to have a little fun and build skills with a s.a. or d.a. revolver - - you can find a nice .22 that'll help there, and that can also be used for small game hunting. I've had a use and a purpose for every firearm I've purchased. I take my time when I purchase and try to get quality. Sometimes my personal circumstances and interests have later changed, but with most of the few that I've gotten rid of - - I've later regretted it when thinking "That X I had would have been perfect for this situation. I wish I hadnt sold/traded it." There may be a time many years ahead when age & physical limitations cause me to slowly sell what I've built up over the years. But, that's a long way off yet. On the other hand, I have firearms that take care of my requirements. So, I add to the 'collection' (such as it is) slowly now. I get enjoyment out of taking out a piece that I haven't used in awhile and rediscovering what I liked about it by shooting and/or hunting with it.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:10 PM   #61
Yung.gunr

Only one more.

Or at least that's what I tell the wife.

No but seriously, I am not going to be buying a other gun for at least five years.

I'm going to be saving up for a 1911 in 9mm. I hope to get a mid to higher end one by that time. Hopefully they will be still somewhere near the amount I have estimated I will have saved based on the plan I set up.

I would love to get one a month because there are so many nice ones. Even if I were to limit it to the three calibers I already have.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:27 PM   #62
orionengnr

Quote:
One asked how manny (sic) pistols does one person really need ?
Only one...more.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:02 PM   #63
NO-BODY

The one you have when you neeeeed one! So i'd say one everywhere you go or one with you all the time.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:46 PM   #64
Valerko

You need as many guns as your wife and budget allows.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:16 PM   #65
jimbob86

"Need's got nothing to do with it."

That said ..... I can get by, in these tough economic times, and all the serious drains on my income, without many things.....

Quote:
You need a J Frame size 38 Special for concealed carry.

You also need a J Frame size 22LR to practice with.

Then a K Frame in 2", 2-1/2", or 3" for more serious concealed carry.

Then you neee a 4" - 6" K or L Frame 38/357 for general purpose use.

Then a K Frame 22 for economical practice.

I don't carry a revolver, so I don't really need any of those......

Quote:
Everyone needs atleast One 1911.

Everyone needs a Ruger MK III to plink with.

OK, I'm good with that .... and the .22/45 controls are in the right places for familiarization w/ 1911 style guns ..... I Carry a 1911 style gun .... Springer EMP ....

Quote:
Then a Hunting Handgun in 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 454, 460 S&W, 480 Ruger, or 500 S&W. I personally love my 480 Ruger Super RedHawks.
I use a rifle for hunting .... handgun hunting is for folks that value style over substance: I want results, with a minimum of time and effort and money.

Quote:
You also may need a 10mm/40 S&W Revolver or 40 S&W semi auto to shoot up all the 40 S&W range brass in.
You can always sell the Glocked stuff as bulk scrap, and sell/trade the good stuff to others....

[QUOTEEveryone needs a Barbecue Gun.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not a flashy guy- the EMP would work for that, for me.
As far as you wanting more and more guns, and guns being a good investment ..... the one kinda leads to the other, don't it?
Old October 12, 2012, 09:23 PM   #66
hoytinak

I've cut down to 3 handguns but could do with just 1.

Ruger MKII: plinking/fun
Ruger LC9: carry
HK USPc9: nightstand/work (the one I'd keep if I had to stick with just one)
Old October 12, 2012, 10:00 PM   #67
ripnbst

For me it plays out like this:

Need, 1. For me it's a S&W M&P 9c. I can carry it in almost anything I wear, and if I want to carry it I will wear what I need to in order to do so. It's also got enough capacity to serve as an HD gun and range gun and competition gun.

Now, I would probably stop my collection at:

High End 1911 in .45 ACP
Browning Hi-Power
Beretta M9
S&W M&P 9 Pro
J Frame Smith in .357
Sig Sauer 938
S&W M&P 9c

That's basically it for handguns. Long guns opens up lots more options.
Old October 12, 2012, 11:18 PM   #68
bbqbob51

I've thought about this also.

1. .22lr revolver
2. .22 semi-auto
3. .357 mag revolver
4. 9mm semi auto
All the above guns are in calibers that are readily available and reasonably priced. They fit the bill for plinking, target practice and self defense.
Old October 13, 2012, 08:15 AM   #69
NO-BODY

So asume ''end of the world stuff.'' I see it like this for handguns, (handgun forum you know)..... >22lr handgun with a million rounds stashed with it for small game and practice, .357/38sp revolver for hunting and easier to find ammo than most other hand gun rounds, or 44mag but 44spl not as common, 40s&w for self defence because almost every law enforcement uses it so ammo will be around, or 9mm because its military. Make or model not as important as long as you can count on it to go boom.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:53 PM   #70
P5 Guy

NEEDS -v- WANTS

Yeah I know that this is the handgun section, but that being said I'd much rather have a long gun if need wins out to want.
A very minimalist gun collection would be a drilling 20 gauge over a moderate rifle round .22-250 or there about, at the shortest legal length barrel and over all length combination.
Handgun I can make do with a 44 for almost any occasion.
Old October 17, 2012, 01:32 AM   #71
coolbreezy

1) sig p226 40
2) 1911 45 auto
3) beretta m9
4) ruger gp100 357
5) ruger redhawk 44
6) rem 870 mag ext.

my SHTF line-up
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old October 17, 2012, 02:48 AM   #72
RadioFlyer8

Sup Compact 9mm for warm weather carry.
Full size 9mm for winter carry.
Old October 17, 2012, 05:57 AM   #73
Double Impact

AS Many as possible.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:44 AM   #74
mavracer

If you see my ammo stash you'll understand I need a lot of guns, I mean what do you want me to do throw the ammo at stuff.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 18, 2012, 08:48 PM   #75
Deja vu

The correct answer is 1 more than you have.

I was taught from the time I was a kid that you only "need" 4 guns.

1. a big game hunting rifle.
2. a shot gun.
3. a pinking gun.
4. a self defense hand gun.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...