The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 16, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
JMShell

Reloading Apprentice

For anyone who is an avid ammunition reloader in the San Jose, Sunnyvale, Fremont, CA area I would like to offer myself to anyone who would like some free slave labor and perhaps teach me the art of reloading. I would specifically like to learn how to reload 45 colt for cowboy action shooting since I am really eager to try to participate in the sport, but any reloading will be greatly appreciated. I do not ask for any payment of any type other than to learn and possibly reloading my own ammunition at some distant future pont in time with complete reembersiment of supplies. I am really eager to learn and available after 5pm during the week and most weekends. I am 23 with my own transportation so no worries there. It interested please feel free to contact me. Thank you.
Old August 17, 2010, 02:25 AM   #2
arcticap

It may be a good idea to check with local shooting clubs. They will sometimes offer clinics or if you go to a club function, you'll be able to meet some members who reload and may be willing to offer some personal instruction.

Last edited by arcticap; August 17, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old August 17, 2010, 09:41 AM   #3
overkill0084

If you have one in your area, check with Sportsman's Warehouse. The one here has reloading classes occasionally.
I'm relatively new to reloading new myself and I found that either the Lyman or the Lee reloading manuals are very good for covering the basics. Others may be just as well, but those are the ones I have.
Like many things in life, it's not as complicated as some would have you believe. Attention to detail is probably the most critical issue, but it's not terribly complex.
Old August 18, 2010, 03:03 PM   #4
noelf2

You got this all wrong! You will completely miss out on the thrill of wondering whether your first reloads will work great or separate you from a couple of your fingers... I can't confirm this, but I would assume that most of us just got the good initial advice to buy several reloading manuals, read them cover to cover, and follow all of the safety rules. If you also follow this advice, you won't learn any bad tricks and shortcuts from someone you "think" is an experienced reloader. Always best to RTFM (google it).
Old August 18, 2010, 04:29 PM   #5
shafter

I know what you mean about the "blown off fingers thrill

Tags
45 colt , california , cowboy , free , reloading