The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 10, 2009, 08:54 PM   #51
Webleymkv

Originally posted by L Killkenny
Quote:
Quote:
The one downfall of the Security Six and it's cousins is that these revolvers had quite possibly the worst grips ever installed on a revolver. A factory-stocked Security Six will be downright unpleasant with magnums for all but the smallest handed people. Luckily, excellent aftermarket stocks are widely available for 151-prefix serial number and later guns. 150-prefix stocks are out there too, you just have to look a bit harder.

The Security Six came from the factory in 2 grip sizes. I'm not up on the prefix's. The ones in the pic are factory and the only issue I have with em is when shooting full house 180's in it. My knuckle bangs the trigger guard and starts to hurt after 30-40 shots. Never enough to make me stop shooting though.
I was unaware that Ruger ever made larger target style grips for the Security Six. The ones I was referring to are much smaller (flush with the edges of the grip frame much like S&W Magna Stocks) and are nearly useless for anything but mild .38's.
Old November 10, 2009, 08:58 PM   #52
madmag

Quote:
The one downfall of the Security Six and it's cousins is that these revolvers had quite possibly the worst grips ever installed on a revolver.
Yes, but that's so easy to fix it's not worth making it an issue....it's called Pachmayr grips.
Old November 10, 2009, 10:50 PM   #53
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
The one downfall of the Security Six and it's cousins is that these revolvers had quite possibly the worst grips ever installed on a revolver.

Yes, but that's so easy to fix it's not worth making it an issue....it's called Pachmayr grips.
The OP does not live in the U.S. and I'm not sure how available aftermarket grips are in his area. Because of this, I thought it prudent to bring the issue to his attention.
Old November 10, 2009, 11:42 PM   #54
WVfishguy

Badger Grips are an improvement:

Hogue wood grips work as well:

And you may find an old Mustang grip for round butt Rugers:

These guns are as pretty as any other, and I trust them with my life.
Old November 11, 2009, 12:30 AM   #55
Melissa5

Quote:
I was unaware that Ruger ever made larger target style grips for the Security Six. The ones I was referring to are much smaller (flush with the edges of the grip frame much like S&W Magna Stocks) and are nearly useless for anything but mild .38's.
The addition of a Tyler T greatly improves the shootability of the stock grips.
Old November 11, 2009, 10:20 AM   #56
madmag

Quote:
The OP does not live in the U.S. and I'm not sure how available aftermarket grips are in his area. Because of this, I thought it prudent to bring the issue to his attention.
Point taken.

My final advice to anyone is to snap up any Security/Speed six in good shape you find. A few years ago, I hunted gun stores for a long time before I found my Speed Six SS .357. I paid $250 then, now I am not sure what it would be worth, but it is a moot point because I am not selling.

I like my Smith's, Colt's, and other Ruger's, but my favorite is still my Speed Six.
Old November 11, 2009, 11:35 AM   #57
ZeSpectre

Surprisingly enough, these $7.00 aftermarket grips from CDNN have been some of the best "practical" grips for my security six guns.

The wooden ones on my stainless sure do look pretty, but they make me bang my knuckles on the trigger guard (OUCH!). The el-cheapo rubber ones are great and absorb a LOT of recoil!
Old November 11, 2009, 02:47 PM   #58
L_Killkenny

Quote:
The wooden ones on my stainless sure do look pretty, but they make me bang my knuckles on the trigger guard (OUCH!). The el-cheapo rubber ones are great and absorb a LOT of recoil!
I'd quit shooting before I uglified a gun with black rubber grips. Yuck!. Many better options.

LK
Old November 11, 2009, 02:52 PM   #59
ZeSpectre

Quote:
I'd quit shooting before I uglified a gun with black rubber grips. Yuck!. Many better options.
Heh, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
Old November 11, 2009, 03:28 PM   #60
gyvel

Buy one and find out for yourself.
Old November 11, 2009, 05:40 PM   #61
madmag

Quote:
I'd quit shooting before I uglified a gun with black rubber grips.
That does it. I am going to put my original wood grips back on my Speed Six. Why I would feel ashamed of myself using my Speed Six for SD just because my Pachmayr grips are very comfortable and absorb the recoil.

Wait, stop. I just realized I have Pachmayr grips on my Colt 1911. I bet JMB's ghost will visit me soon.
Old November 11, 2009, 06:41 PM   #62
L_Killkenny

Recoil? What recoil? You guys are act like a .357M kicks. I had never shot one before I bought my SS and was a little aprehensive. Boy was I in for a suprise, .357's are a kitty cat. Even more so in factory SD loadings. My .45 Witness-P and the Glock 45's have more recoil.

Too many better options for Ruger's Six line and life's to short to own ugly guns.

LK
Old November 11, 2009, 07:18 PM   #63
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I must be confused. A guy who likes the Glock is calling a Security Six ugly? That can't be right...
Old November 11, 2009, 07:35 PM   #64
L_Killkenny

Like glocks? Where did I say I liked glocks? I've never owned one, never will, don't like em. But I've had numerous tries at shooting them thanks to a fellow shooter that owns 2. And the Witness-P is gone too.

LK
Old November 12, 2009, 12:51 PM   #65
Firepower!

3" barrel model

my friend came in possession of a 3" SS security six model. How rare and good are they, and what are yous thoughts on them?
Old November 12, 2009, 03:34 PM   #66
SIGSHR

I recall one of the first reviews of the Security Six was by the late Bob Milek, he gave the factory grips thumbs down. Mine has Pachmayrs, I didn't fire it once with the factory grips.
Old November 12, 2009, 10:51 PM   #67
madmag

Quote:
my friend came in possession of a 3" SS security six model. How rare and good are they,
The 3" models are more rare than my 2-3/4" model. All I know is that any Security Six in good shape has close to doubled in price since about four years ago. Two key factors driving value on Security Sixes: They are very well made pistols, and they are out of production.....no more are going to be made.

A Security Six will not make you rich, but it's nice to have a quality pistol that keeps gaining in value.
Old November 13, 2009, 10:44 PM   #68
virtualpm

Never had a better revolver. Had a 4" stainless model that was very accurate - I could put all 6 rounds in a paper plate ate 100 yards. Used to deer hunt with it, and it was my service side arm when I served as a volunteer "special deputy" with the local county sherriff's department. Can't believe I sold it. Would by another in a heartbeat if I ever get the chance.
Old November 14, 2009, 01:13 AM   #69
Gazzmann

Great gun. Got 7 of them.
Old November 14, 2009, 01:43 AM   #70
gearchecker

One of the best revolvers ever built.

And that's coming from a die hard S&W wheelgun owner.
If they made it in .22 it would be perfect.

The Ruger is a tank. Drives tacks and will outperform in adverse conditions just about any other handgun ever produced.
And it has very good styling for a revolver.

I guess that just about sums it up for tonight.

More input later from the others that really like this wheelgun too.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old November 14, 2009, 09:08 AM   #71
ilbob

I love mine.

Fun to shoot and like a lot of Rugers, overbuilt. Really strong.

Get an aftermarket spring kit for it and it makes the action a lot nicer.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old December 26, 2009, 01:36 PM   #72
Firepower!

My friend bought the Ruger SS with serial number starting by 150xxxxx. He is unable to find grips for it. Any help would be great. Hogue does not have 'em.

Tags
revolver , ruger , security six