The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 26, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Center Point Optics?

Well, the scope on my Ruger 10/22 gave up the ghost, so I went shopping. This gun is only for plinking / fun, so I was looking for something cheap, but decent.

As I was bumbling through Wally World, I spotted a Center Point, Adventure Class scope with some nifty (but totally unnecessary) features, like an illuminated mil dot reticule, etc. (Hey! I'm not totally immune to the "cool factor" ) Anyhow, this thing sold for about $60., so I thought, what the heck? I went for it.

Anyhow, I finally got this thing mounted and took it out last night. Using a rest, I started to sight in at 50 yards, and couldn't even get on paper! So, I brought the target in to 25 yards, finally got on paper, and started to zero in. When I started trying for groups, the best I could get was 5" groups. Remember, this is benched at 25 yards!

I, being mostly a handgun guy, am not all that experienced with scoped rifles. So, what's the deal here? Is anyone here familiar with these scopes? Is this a matter of "you get what you pay for", or are these decent scopes for the money? Or could there be other factors at work here?

Any input appreciated.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 26, 2008, 01:36 PM   #2
armedandsafe

Check the tightness of your mounts to the rifle.
Check the tightness of the rings.
Check to ensure the rings actually grip the scope.

If all is good there, return the scope, because the reticle is probably loose or broken. I'm not familiar with that particular scope, but even the cheap ones should not change group size over what you get with irons.

Inexpensive scopes are usually just fine on low powered rifles. You don't usually get the brightness of image, the ruggedness to withstand heavy recoil, the "image of cool" that you get with a higher priced scope, but they are supposed to work.

Scopes for air rifles are a different story, as they are subjected to bi-directional recoil. There is a shock of the recoil when the gun is fired, and the shock when the spring piston slams to a stop. Scopes designed for firearms often will fail under that secondary shock. I have seen a $600 scope fail on a Beeman. The factory did the repair but said they did not have to honor the warrenty because the scope was not speced for air guns. They did honor, but were a little snippy about it.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old July 26, 2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Darren007

I have a Centerpoint scope, also purchased at Wal-Mart. Mounted it on a Remington 700 SPS VT in .204 Ruger.

With it, I was able to shoot 10 shot groups you could cover with a quarter @ 150-200 yards.

Its cheap...but it works!!!

I agree with armedandsafe, there might be something wrong yours maybe??? Take it back and exchange it for another.
Old March 18, 2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Lonewulff

i also purchased a target model of the center point scope and slapped it on a 700SPS VT in .308. haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but i will let you know how it holds up with the heavier recoil than the .204.