The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
KingDF

Mossberg 500

I have a standard Mossberg 500 and I'm looking to make a few upgrades to it, such as pistol grip, rails, and collapsible stock. Can anyone make any good suggestions for these upgrades? I've been on Amazon reading reviews for the last three days, but I'd love to know if anyone can speak from experience.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:09 PM   #2
ChaseReynolds

I would suggest Blackhawk for the pistol grip/ buttstock combo. As for rails I am not to sure.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
KingDF

Thanks. Any particular model or do they only make one? I've seen around 30 or so in general, but don't remember all the brands.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:30 PM   #4
ChaseReynolds

I am not to sure. I have the Maverick 88 and my LGS said that even though the weapons are almost identical that a lot of things made for the 500 don't fit the 88. I think they vary on recoil reduction or not. I also think that some of them come with shell saddles.
Old September 22, 2012, 12:38 AM   #5
idek

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Shotgun-Stocks,165.htm
The second page of items includes Spec Ops stocks, which might fit what you're looking for.

A couple things to keep in mind with those stocks:

- It's a little harder to use the safety button and maybe a little harder to push the slide release button with a pistol grip stock than with a conventional stock.

- I've heard that the SpecOps stocks tend to put the user's eye higher than normal, so it may be harder to sight directly down the barrel.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:59 AM   #6
Pistolgripshotty

Upgrading is fun but I would recommend actually visiting your local gun shop so that you can actually see and feel what it is that you're adding to er! Good Luck!
Old September 24, 2012, 12:44 AM   #7
scottd913

go to www.cheaperthandirt.com they have sooooo many goodies for the 500 including blackhawk and some if not most is cheaper there than at blackhawk (yea i don't know how either) they have very fast service too. i have got a Phoenix tech recoil reduction stock and forend for mine and it was under a 100 bucks delivered you may wanna check in on that i love mine!
Old September 24, 2012, 02:05 AM   #8
Justice06RR

I also have a Mossberg500 6-shot and have been browsing through hundreds of options. The most common accesories and modifications I see and recommend is the TacStar Sidesaddle, an adjustable stock, a good sling, and an aftermarket sight. There are so many brands to choose from though, I tend to just read people's reviews on Amazon.

Don't forget a good LED flashlight too!
Old September 24, 2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, learn to Run The Gun, and add some serious wear marks before buying anything. Except ammo and range time, of course.

Then, you'll have a better idea of what,if anything, you and your shotgun need to optimize performance and your chances of surviving a firefight.

Technology is not a substitute for expertise.....
Old September 24, 2012, 03:24 PM   #10
olfogey

Bought an ar style stock with recoil reduction from cheaper than dirt. Fits my maverick 88.
just shot clays saturday for the first time with new stock and loved it. Quicker follow up shots with pistol grip and easier on the shoulder.
Old September 24, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
lamarw

All I did to mine was add a $3.00 Army suplus sling. It was a former State Trooper Mossberg 500 with wood furniture. It has a 20 inch barrel and 8 round capacity. The only reason I added the sling was because it already had swivels and looked naked without a sling. I doubt anything else would add to its functional capaility for my purposes (home defense).

It leans neatly on the wall next to the headpost of my bed. There is a very business-like look about it.

In the event you plan to tote it for miles, I can see doing things to lighten the gun up. I personally have never understood the need for heat shields on a domestic type shotgun. The forearm has always kept it cool enuff (temp. wise) for me, and the gun will cool while reloading.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:45 PM   #12
KingDF

@Dave, I'm very familiar with my gun. However, I'll need to re-familiarize myself with handling it if I change configuration.

@Olfogey, I'm looking at the AR style stock for that very reason. Thanks.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

King, exactly. ANY change has to be adjusted to.That takes a round count.
Old September 26, 2012, 09:26 PM   #14
9mm

Midwayusa has on sale houge tammer pistol grip + forend for $25 and amazon has them $35. I just saved a bunch. Hurry because sale ends 9/30/2012, then you pay $35-$40ish. High reviews, just be warned you might need a nut to fit the forend. It's a good deal for $25 because the tammer PG along is $20!

I am looking for an OU stock, ATI is only company I know of selling OU stocks, just very bulky...