The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 7, 2016, 10:33 PM   #1
ZVP

N/M Vaquero

I spent a lot of time checkingno S/A revolvers out before buying, I looked hard at Uberti and the Barret a Stampede. Somehow I wrote off the Barret a though it was cheapest.but good.the Uberti was lightest but to get a real good one you had to buy a Smoke wagon or Evil Roy.
The choice soon became evident. Just buy a Vaquero to get a tough, lifetime revolver right out of the box!
Well my Vaquero quickly developed a timing problem and it went back to the factory.
It came back totally reallybuilt, all interalso replaced, factory tuned perfectly and sighted in! Talk about warranty servicevice!
Mine's a .357, 4 5/8" Stainless. I shoot mainlycoil with .357's .38'S but it gets it's share of .357 also. Recoil with them is nothing! Ccuracy is good with all loads but I really )I've +P .38's!
I really think the Vaquero is the way to go in a S\A.
Old May 8, 2016, 02:44 AM   #2
jstert

the easiest and truest word association when discussing firearms: single action revolver? ruger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old May 8, 2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

If you look at the paperwork that came with your Vaquero you will see that there is no written warranty that came with it. Ruger does not include a written warranty with any of their firearms.

However, their customer service is second to none and they will take care of any defect in manufacturing, and will often fix problems for free that were the fault of the shooter, not the gun.
Old May 8, 2016, 08:39 AM   #4
roaddog28

Ruger to me is the best when it comes to single action revolvers. My best all around revolver is a Ruger Blackhawk 357/9mm 4 5/8 barrel. I love shooting this revolver. Driftwood is right. Ruger does not advertise there warrenty but they always take care of their customers.
Good luck,
Howard
Old May 8, 2016, 10:58 AM   #5
ZVP

Ruger is #1 in my book!
Old May 8, 2016, 03:26 PM   #6
357 Python

Ruger has what I would call a Dillon Precision warranty. If they can read their company name on the item it is covered. back in 2004 I went to the Beretta factory for an Armorers course. While there we were given a tour of the facility including a conference room. In that room they had nearly one of each model Beretta made including the Stampede. I was able to handle it and it seemed very well made. All in all I still believe you made a very good decision buying the Ruger.
Old May 8, 2016, 03:33 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Stampede was made by Uberti, for Beretta.
Beretta never manufactured it.
Denis
Old May 10, 2016, 10:59 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I really think the Vaquero is the way to go in a S\A.
Depending on what you are looking for, the Vaquero is pretty good. The NEW VAQUERO (a different gun than the Vaquero) is pretty good, for a Colt size SA.

It can get a little confusing, but if you bought your "vaquero" within the last decade, new from the maker, it is NOT a "Vaquero" it is a "New Vaquero". If you are in doubt, just look on the frame (left side) below the cylinder.

The Vaquero (the original Vaquero) is built on the 44Mag size frame. The New Vaquero is built on a smaller frame.

IF you just say "Vaquero" I assume you mean the original, and only get "New Vaquero" from context.

There are no "new model" Vaqueros. There are only "Vaqueros" (the original gun made with that name) and "New Vaqueros" a different (smaller) gun with a very similar name, introduced when production of the Vaquero was dropped.

Both are good guns, I have about a dozen Ruger SA revolvers, (new model) Blackhawks (mostly), 4 Vaqueros, and a New Vaquero. (.45Colt).

I had a .44 Mag Vaquero, traded it for a Super Blackhawk (probably foolishly) but I wanted .44Mag with adjustable sights.

Personally, I don't really like the New Vaquero. Not for any real reason, just 30+ years using the bigger framed Rugers makes it seem "too small".

If you are more of a Single Action "traditionalist" than I am, then the New Vaquero is the gun for you, combining Ruger quality, new model lockwork, and Colt size and looks.

Quote:
look at the paperwork that came with your Vaquero you will see that there is no written warranty that came with it. Ruger does not include a written warranty with any of their firearms.
I applaud Ruger for going to this policy.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:07 PM   #9
gyvel

Quote:
The Stampede was made by Uberti, for Beretta.
That's because Beretta now owns Uberti.
SIFE
Old May 10, 2016, 01:13 PM   #10
Armybrat

Had no complaints about my NV .357 before trading it off for a Colt SAA (plus another gun). Already had a 3 screw BH .357, and recently bought a Super BH .44, which makes the Colt look & feel rather delicate.

But am getting the hankerin' to but another NV .357 with the shorter barrel.

My former NV sure was a good-looking & well made revolver, as are my other Rugers.

Old May 10, 2016, 02:29 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

Beretta's owned Uberti for several years.
Just correcting the comment about Beretta making the Stampede.
Uberti produced the model & stamped it with Beretta branding.
Denis
Old May 10, 2016, 03:54 PM   #12
ZVP

Didn't know about Berreta/Uberti
Frank illy I'd love a real Colt but can't afford one

The next best choice was the NM Vaquero.
I knew I wacted a .357/38 ,the Ruger was sized right more than tough for a lifetime of .38's and guaranteed to stay so!
Since the "fix" my NM is slick as any othere revolver even better only thing better is a real Colt!
Yea it's a little hea vier but that's quality!
Don't get me wrong the others like the Smoke wagon are dream guns but I'm disabled (one leg) and retired on a pension and on SS,so I had to buy the best,toughest revolver capable of handling big horsepower forever!

Havino owned a single Six 30+ years I knew what was to do!
Thanks for the moral support and great info
Sone day I dream of a .44 S]ec BH with a long barrel.power and accuracy!
Yep my 4 5/8" Stain less NM Vaquero IS my dream in the flesh
I shoot every time I go out I swear!!!
Dave
Old May 10, 2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
If you look at the paperwork that came with your Vaquero you will see that there is no written warranty that came with it. Ruger does not include a written warranty with any of their firearms.
Just goes to show that no matter how good you claim your warranty to be, often it isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Ruger's customer service is second to none without a warranty.

Enjoy that Vaquero. I love my .44 mag.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:18 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Just goes to show that no matter how good you claim your warranty to be, often it isn't worth the paper it is written on.
If the company stands behind it, its good. If the company doesn't, then its only good for lawyer ammo when you take them to court. And, there's a wee problem with that...

the problem is that different places have different requirements for what has to be in a written warranty, in order for it to be "valid" in that state. That was the basic reason (so I am given to understand) why Ruger no longer offers a written warranty.

Essentially after decades of doing the same thing all the others did, (issuing the most comprehensive written warranty they could) some bright guy at Ruger (or their legal team) figured out they didn't HAVE to play that game.

By saying "we stand behind our products" and NOT issuing a written warranty, they cannot be sued based on what is, or is not in their warranty.

Now, some might think this is Ruger, trying to get out of having to fix their goofs, and a different company might try that, absent a written warranty. Ruger give excellent customer service, often above and beyond what is actually needed. The only "drawback" to this is that if you send your Ruger to Ruger to have something fixed, any/everything you have done to the gun will be returned to Ruger specs.

Custom, parts, or altered parts will be removed and replaced with Ruger spec parts. (or so I understand, I've never had to send any of the dozens of of Rugers, handguns and rifles, back to Ruger for anything, ever)

Congrats on your New vaquero in .357, I'm sure it will be a good gun. If not, Ruger will fix it. Tough to beat a deal like that. OF course, its in the wrong caliber

Vaquerors (original or NewV) should be .45 Colt! I do understand fixed incomes, I'm living on a modest pension, and not collecting SSI, myself.

If you can't afford both, and the .357 is the most useful to you, I understand.

Personally, in a .357, I want the Blackhawk, for the sights, primarily. I'm not a strong traditionalist when it comes to SA revolver LOOKS, what I want is the best function and utility. A new model Blackhawk, with its coil springs, transfer bar system, and adjustable sights is the gun Colt should have made, and might have, if they had only known how....
Old May 12, 2016, 06:43 PM   #15
ZVP

357 was a carefully calculated buy due to k other guns.
Yea I really wanted a
Old May 12, 2016, 07:03 PM   #16
smee78

Congrats to the OP on a wise decision, I have a few Blackhawks, Vaqueros and Sinle Six's and love them. They are my go to guns when I'm out in the field working or watching a western (dont pretend you havent done it). I have most bases covered but havent pickedup a 41 or 327 version yet. Got 45C, 44mag, 30carb, 357& 9mm, 32H&R, 22LR&22Mag.
Old May 15, 2016, 08:09 PM   #17
Jim March

Quote:
The next best choice was the NM Vaquero.
There is no such gun as a "New Model Vaquero".

There is a very very important safety issue here in which we must not pollute the term "New Model" when it comes to Ruger SAs.

The term "New Model" refers to the internal guts of the gun, specifically whether it came with a drop-safe safety system ("transfer bar ignition") or not. Not means "Old Model".

The cutoff year is 1973, when the New Model guts came into existence. EXCEPT on the Ruger "Old Army" percussion guns that retained the "Old Model" lockwork well after everything else got "New Model" guts.

All of the "Vaqueros" including the "Old Vaquero" or "Large Frame Vaquero" (same thing) shipped long after 1973 and are hence "New Model" actions internally, same as Blackhawks and SuperBlackhawks of the same era. In truth, the Vaquero was just a Blackhawk with fixed sights, more or less. (There were other very small tweaks - steel grip frame instead of aluminum, etc.). Internal parts are swappable between all these...my New Vaquero sports a SuperBlackhawk hammer, now modified.

The New Vaquero has the same internal safety system as the Old/Large Vaquero. It's built on a smaller frame size is all.

Now please, please listen. The "New Model" terminology refers to a critical safety issue. DO NOT pollute that term.

There's no such thing as a New Model Vaquero. STOP using that term.
Old May 15, 2016, 08:47 PM   #18
mehavey

It might clearer (and simpler) to just say that the proper term is "New Vaquero" -- and it specifies that action is smaller/weaker than the "Old" Blackhawk-based Vaquero.
Old May 15, 2016, 09:54 PM   #19
Hawg

I just don't care for Ruger lockwork. I've had a few and never kept one long. My Uberti/Cimarron has never been a minutes trouble. The only Ruger SA I want is another Single Six to replace the one I had to sell a few years ago.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:38 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Jim hit the point harder than I did, but its a very valid point.

NEW MODEL refers to the lockwork of guns made after 73. Changing the lockwork, and converting any older guns they get their hands on was part of a legal settlement Ruger entered into. I think perhaps the Old Army was exempt because it is not a cartridge firearm.

Quote:
It might clearer (and simpler) to just say that the proper term is "New Vaquero"
The "proper" terms ARE; "Vaquero" for the larger older gun, and "New Vaquero" for the newer gun in current production.

This is what the guns SAY ON THEM!! Left side of the frame, below the cylinder. What could be more proper than using the names of the guns as marked ON THEM????

The Ruger website may only say "Vaquero" but the guns themselves say "New Vaquero".
Old May 15, 2016, 11:30 PM   #21
mehavey

It's simpler because when someone says "Old" Vaquero, I know exactly what they mean.
Likewise if they say "New" Vaquero, I again know exactly what they mean.

On the contrary, if someone says simply "Vaquero," I haven't a clue if they know what they really mean.
Old May 16, 2016, 08:11 AM   #22
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Ruger really screwed up when they released the New Vaquero. Instead of doing something intelligent like they did with the 22 Semi-Auto series, using terms like Mark II and Mark III, which eliminated confusion, they chose to call it the New Vaquero. Which opened the door to all kinds of confusion. It does not help that on their website they are now calling the New Vaquero just plain Vaquero.

Yes, I am well aware of what is marked on the frames.

Yes, I know all about the New Model distinction from Three Screws, I have known it for a long time.

However, to make things perfectly clear, when I refer to Vaqueros on the various gun boards I frequent, I always refer to the original, larger model as the 'original model' Vaquero, exactly like that, with original model in quotes and lower case. And I always refer to the New Vaquero as just that.

I will continue to do so, thanks very much. It seems to me, the more effort we make to eliminate confusion, the better.
Old May 16, 2016, 01:21 PM   #23
Armybrat

And to confuse things even further, your New Vaquero is obviously an early version with the "case hardened" finish on the frame. I don't recall when they dropped that and went to all blue.
Old May 16, 2016, 05:51 PM   #24
Jim March

My NewVaq started life as a 357, bought new in 2005, serial number just over 5,000. Had the fake case colors which have faded significantly. I'm not worried about it and it sure as hell cannot ever be sent back to Ruger for a re-finish as it is now the world's most heavily modified Ruger SA and *possibly* the most heavily modified revolver ever. There's a few other contenders but not many .

In case anybody isn't aware...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-fed-revolver/
Old May 30, 2016, 10:22 AM   #25
ZVP

The "New Vaquero" suited. my wants perfectly.
Size and versatility work well as I shoot mainly. .38 and +P.
The latter shoot very accurate.power is good enough without going to ear splitting .357.
The NV is heavy and soaked up ssrecoil of even .357 .38 and +P barely kick!
I have a very versitle1870's style Texas design as they called it on line when I ordered it, that carrys several revolvers. Works perfect for the NM Vaquero and adjusts even over a jacket or shirt. It's out of the way for rifle shooting love those revolver!