The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2008, 07:53 AM   #1
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

What Is 'imr' Powder

G'day. I have a SPEER reloading manual # 11, It often references IMR **** powders. Are these the HODGDON powders that use the same numbers?
Old November 14, 2008, 08:01 AM   #2
ShootingNut

Skull

IMR is one of Hodgdon's powders, if you haven't checked their loading data for all of their powders, here is a link http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Regards,
SN
Old November 14, 2008, 08:13 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

IMR references to Improved Military Powder. Sharpe makes reference to it as the first progressive-burning powder introduced in 1914.
Tom F.
Old November 14, 2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Sevens

IMR was a powder make from quite a while back that changed hands a couple of times. When I started reloading in the 80s, they were owned by the DuPont Corp. And DuPont got them from someone else. Then someone else took them over from DuPont, and later, Hodgdon took them over. Or something like that.

The H powders with the same number as the IMR powders are similar but are NOT the same, though much of the data is quite similar. For sure, you can substitute the H powder for the IMR powder of the same number, but don't expect the same results.

Or, to put it another way, if you have a manual that tells you to get some IMR-4895 for your 8x57, you can use H4985 instead, but the data doesn't specifically apply, and you would need to get your max loads from Hodgdon.
Old November 14, 2008, 08:34 PM   #5
F. Guffey

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65, and to you, and after reading the article you think he went overseas to get ideals for developing and making smokeless powder, you could be correct, or it could just be the way the information is presented.

http://www.cowart.info/Florida%20His...0Biography.htm

F. Guffey