The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 13, 2006, 12:02 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Mixing BP substitutes - safe or a no-no?

I've got some 30 gr Pyrodex pellets, and 50 gr Triple 7 pellets - safe to make an 80 grain combo cocktail or no? If so, which one against the bullet, and which in first against the breech?
Old October 13, 2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

It's no problem. as long as you stay with an 100 grain or less load. I had some left over pyrodex, when I changed to 777 couple of years back, and thats how I got rid of them. I did not notice any real difference in where my rifle shot on paper, just had a little more crud to clean out between shots.

I saw a 8 point and a 12 point rattling horns last evening about 6:00. They were about 50 yards from me and I could not get a shot, but they gently rattled each other for about 10 minutes. No real fighting, but it was neat to watch.

Have you had a chance to poke a stick through one yet?
Old October 13, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Thanks WBB!

Quote:
I saw a 8 point and a 12 point rattling horns last evening about 6:00. They were about 50 yards from me and I could not get a shot, but they gently rattled each other for about 10 minutes. No real fighting, but it was neat to watch.
That sounds very cool - fun to watch them spar or fight - never seen it in person, but I have seen it here at the Ramsey Ranch:

http://www.ramseyranch.com/livecams.htm

oops, not any more - apparently Ramsey is now Keystone and they took down the cams; bummer deal.

No, I haven't seen any deer yet while bowhunting, but going this evening to hunt the weekend. Supposed to rain Sunday; good for making me stealthy, so I hope so.

Sighted in my 2 MLs yesterday, but then it was all for naught, since I played musical scopes when I got home; oh well, excuse for another range trip.
Old October 13, 2006, 06:27 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Here's some live cams:

http://www.wildcam.com/

http://www.wildlife.tv/en/index.cfm?...n/tv/index.cfm

Lol, just found some *interesting* stuff using the search terms "live" and "cam".
Old October 16, 2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

The wife says I move scopes, and buy different primers, and try different loads, just so I can go to the range more often.

Our range association holds special Turkey shoots and what-not on sundays during October, so it is hard for me to go shoot on sunday. Kind of a hassle, since everyone wants to wait around until October, to sight in their ML's.

I suggested that they hold off on the Turkey shoots from October 1st through Dec. 1st. since that is when there is the most traffic at the range.

They think Turkey and October just goes together I guess.

Oh well, I can live with it.

Hope you get a big one.