The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 1, 2002, 07:40 PM   #1
ThePatriot29

Opinions on Cold Steel Kobun Carbon V?

I'm seriously considering getting a Carbon V Cold Steel Kobun boot knife for daily carry. Does anyone have experience with this knife who would like to comment? I'll be using it for small jobs (read: opening envelopes, etc.) I also will be carrying it daily, and want to be able to use it in self defense if I need to, as I think a fixed blade will be better then the S&W Swat folder I carry now. Opinions?
Old June 1, 2002, 08:29 PM   #2
krept

Can't really comment on the knife. If you like the blade geometry and it fits, it should be better than a folder with one main exception.

The Carbon V, as its name hints at, is high carbon steel. Might be 52100 with additives, maybe different I think it's just a proprietary term that they use for whatever the high carbon steel they are working with at the time. The downside of this, however, is that it rusts pretty easy and if you get water or sweat or whatever on it and forget to wipe it or don't protect it well it will stain or even pit the blade pretty fast. These things may happen with an EDC.

If you are seriously interested, use the search function at bladeforums.com and I'm sure you will find a wealth of info on this knife and steel.
Old June 2, 2002, 10:42 PM   #3
Coronach

Ditto- IIRC 'Carbon V' is just a name that Lynn Thompson has applied to the steel they use. Its not ubersteel or anything, its just marketing.

Cold Steel makes decent stuff, but buy it because it is economical, not because of the Cold Steel marketing crap. Their stuff is decent, but hardly revolutionary.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old June 3, 2002, 01:54 PM   #4
Eric Larsen

Ive got a Master Tanto on the way, but have looked at the Kobuns. They are much lighter than my knife and were very sharp. As previously stated..if it works as a CCW and you like it.
Go for it..I didnt buy mine because it said Cold Steel on it...I just like THAT knife. Its big knife for a carry....but what the hell, so is mine. Shoot/Cut well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush