The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 28, 2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Tall Pine

44-40 revolvers, unequal cylinder & bore diameters

Would this cause the accuracy of the revolver to suffer, or cause other problems?

I have read this happens when a manuf sometimes slaps a cylinder in a 44-40 from their 44 mag or 44 spec stock to save costs. I am trying to decide between 44-40 and 45LC Cimarron model 1873.

Thanks

***EDIT---a local CAS gunshop owner just told me that the Ruger Vaquero was the only model he knew of that had this mismatch problem. Note-Ruger Vaquero no longer comes in 44-40***

Last edited by Tall Pine; October 28, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old October 29, 2006, 10:29 AM   #2
Hafoc

All I know is what I've read. But from what I've read, mismatches between chamber throat dimensions and barrel bore do cause accuracy problems.

For whatever reason, I've read a lot of complaints about incorrect throats in .45 Colts, so going for the Colt doesn't remove the chance this will happen. Rugers used to bore theirs too tight, Colt often bored theirs too loose. It's not a safety issue, but it does impact accuracy.

Here we are talking about differences in the thousandths of an inch range- correct diameter being about .4525 if I remember correctly, while Rugers ran a bit tighter than that, and Colts sometimes as large as .455. Both too tight and too wide affected accuracy.

If that's the case, then the difference between a .44-40 bore (which is actually .418, iirc) and a .44 Spec/Mag bore (.430) should make for pretty poor accuracy. The difference here is in the 100ths of an inch range, and if thosuandths make a difference, hundredths should make more.

Mind you, it would work, and it would be safe. Don't want to fire a .43 bullet in a .418 bore (I think, although it might work- I wouldn't do it without talking to a gunsmith first), but the smaller bullet in the larger bore shouldn't cause problems. And if they used a hollow-base bullet a' la Minnie ball, it would probably work fine. Good enough for a convertable revolver with two cylinders, in other words.

Plus, if you're shooting a SASS-standard CAS match, you don't need ANY kind of accuracy anyway. Long's the bullet doesn't go sideways, it should be close enough.

So if I wanted a .44/40 and .44 Spec two-cylinder "convertable" revolver, I'd accept one bored to .44 Spec standards. But if it was .44/40 only, I think I'd insist on one at the proper .44/40 bore.

According to an article by Mike V..-gun-authority-Venturio?-name-can't quite ever remember, another thing he's seen happen is that a revolver got out bearing a .44/40 barrel and a .38/40 cylinder. Obviously THAT puppy didn't shoot well. This would be easier to do than you might think, since the .44/40 bore diameter is actually .418, and the .38/40 is .400.

Yes, the Winchester marketing folks overstated the bore size of the .44/40 while UNDERstating the bore size of the .38/40. It is reassuring, somehow, to know that even in the 19th Century the so-called logic of marketoids was inexplicible to anyone else.
Old October 29, 2006, 11:05 AM   #3
timothy75

Relax, Cimarron doesnt even offer a 44mag. 44-40 bullets in my area are .427 IIRC and 44mags are .431. Ruger seems to have a problem tight throats but I own several Cimarrons and all are tac drivers. I really wouldnt worry about this at least with Cimarron (Uberti). If you plan to reload 44-40 can be difficult but 45 is a no brainer. Good luck, dont worry.